Do you use your awning? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We do not use our awning hardly ever. They are flimsy and the wind can damage it easily.

This statement is overly broad. My Carefree Fiesta is easy to deploy, can be tilted to shed rain, and can be reefed, as in photo ( when opened half way it shelters the door and camp chairs, without presenting a lot of windage ).
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg  
Old 10-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #22

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Our old Get-Away Van had an attached factory-installed awning. We liked it & used it every trip.

Peanut came with a rail but no awning. After a lot of browsing, we settled on the Z-Shade. They were so inexpensive and lightweight that we could easily use and replace them. We got two 8x8s and one 10x10. We've used all three at times, such as this last September at the Seattle Area Fall Gathering (SAFE) when we covered our group picnic tables.

We left the rail on Peanut; Paul checked for leaks (none) and tucked a bit more butyl caulk under the edges to be sure.

We use water, sand, gravel, or dirt-filled bleach bottles as ballast and bungee cords as tie-downs. I have low vision and trip over guy lines, even neon ones. Each bottle holds 9 pounds of liquid and are easily refilled at campsites with water available, and easily poured out on trees and shrubs after for lightweight transporting. We stow them in a back pontoon normally.

So far the Z-Shades have been durable and useful. They stand up to rain with no problem, more wind than I expected, they make decent shade, and they are easy to move. Paul can handle them himself but it's nice to have two on the 10x10. We can set them over picnic tables or right next to Peanut or anywhere in a camp. We can carry them a little distance if that suits us better.

If we'd have had an awning (that stays up on the roof edge) already on Peanut, we'd have left it and used it. As it was, we weren't about to get something that we had to install every time. Some awnings were so heavy I couldn't move the boxes in the stores. We got three pop-ups for less than half the price of a Clam, $39 / $59 at K-Mart.

Someday perhaps we'd one of those nice-looking awnings I see pictured above, or a Clam.

But the Clam's permanent screens can be great against tiny bugs, but make airflow less effective on a hot day. Also, I don't like the two colors (brown & tan, or green). Clam makes blue & white ice shelters, but they said they won't/can't make me a Clam Shelter in blue & white. Minor complaint, but I like things to match if they can.

Whatever you decide, good trails and happy camping!

BEST
Kathleen
"K"
Old 10-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I too extensively use the awnings, both the Fiamma one on our old Casita 16, and the Carefree on our Escape 21.

As I go to music festivals and star parties where there is little or no natural shade, the awning is real important to us. I'll often setup a 10x10 popup too, to extend the shade, with the trailer hitch pointed due north, the sun rises in the east so the popup gives us more shade mid morning, the trailer itself gives us shade in late afternoon...

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #24

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
My first three fiberglass trailers were without awnings and I was quite okay with them. Now I'm on my second trailer with an awning and I wouldn't do without one. I use it almost all the time. A lot less bother than setting up and carrying a separate canopy.

Walt
Old 10-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #25

Registry
You know, Don, if I were ordering a new trailer from the manufacturer, I'd get the awning, too. Then you know it's right; they are very useful.

BEST,
Kathleen
"K"
Old 10-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
I have a scamp 19 on order without the awning. My 13 did not have one.
I'm nervous about it getting damaged or causing damage to the camper.
If you have one do you frequently use it?
I don't think they have an option yet for a fully automatic one I can push button retract when I go to bed.

Don, I've had the regular A&E/Carefree awnings on all the other RVs I've had and were used every time out. My Casita doesn't have an awning and I don't believe I'll put one on. My reason may not be yours. One is the location you camp in. I camp 99% of the time in the desert, shade is important, rain cover not so much. I've read many posts from folks that say their awnings did well with the wind but never say the wind speeds. 100s of times over 30 years the wind gods flipped the switch and the wind went from zero to 60+. We've never had any damage and they were able to be rolled up in the wind. Many of the Easy Up type covers or tents didn't fair well even being staked down. None of our group uses the case or bag awnings but I'm sure they would have been toast. I can see damage being done to the shell with this type wind situation from the leading edge of the case awning flopping over the TT. If you want an awning, have it installed during the build, way easier than after the fact.
FWIW, the auto awnings I've seen don't tilt for rain.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #27

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Have it, only used it one time in 40k miles. Prefer the Clam shelter with bug net.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the bummer IMHO on the Casita + Fiamma was the one inch gap the length of the awning between the awning and the trailer shell. this lets rain spray and sunshine in, when its 100F+ in the mid afternoon you need every bit of shade you can get. I've been known to put up a piece of masking tape the length of the awning carrier to block this stripe of sunlight... I know I read bout some folks making a more permanent gap filler for this, but I never got around to it..
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #29

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the one inch gap the length of the awning between the awning and the trailer shell. this lets rain spray and sunshine in, when its 100F+ in the mid afternoon you need every bit of shade you can get

Yet another example of just how disconnected manufacturers are from the real world. Seems like someone in the organization would have recognized and addressed this issue. It's definitely a minor problem in the big scheme of things, but dang it, it can get annoying.

I vote for having an awning. I've been without one, & I miss having that year-round outdoor "room" for gatherings & cooking & whatever. There are clever ways to keep them stable in bad weather or to enclose them for extended stays, etc.

There's a lot of great advice and opinions in this forum; I always learn something that'll help me make a decision, no matter what the topic of discussion.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #30

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
Using the awning

We have a 16' Scamp and yes, we use the awning as well as a 10 x 14 Coleman 2 room tent. The tent has 2 doors and screens on all sides with flaps and a rain fly. We only set up the tent if we're going to be someplace for about a week which is pretty much the way we camp over the winter. When we purchased the trailer used about 5 years ago, the awning aluminum had been somewhat destroyed. I replaced the 2 diagonal ends. It sets up a little different now but seems fine for us. I put fender washers and bolts about a foot up from the bottom of the trailer as anchors for the poles. That way the poles don't need to be standing with guys. It also makes it easy to roll up 2/3 of the awning to make it stronger for higher wind and rain. The only down side is the forward side marker light which can be pinched if I roll the awning too short. Rain is probably when we appreciate the awning the most. Good to have a dry spot suppose it's not blowing rain.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #31

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Our "West Wing"Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1538787166510.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	125244
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #32

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
2014 Casita 17 SD.....I rarely use the awning, too much time spent worrying about wind conditions and breaking the awning for me.
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:37 PM   #33

Registry
All: lots of good advice and ideas. Thanks from the Peanut gallery!
Old 10-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #34

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
93¢ for a small PVC pipe fixed the awning gap for my Catalina 2500 awning.
Attached Thumbnails
sm11.JPG   DSCF0212.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #35

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I have a bag awning on mine.

Generally put it up on arrival and leave it up until departure.

Haven't had any problems
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #36

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
I love sitting out under mine when it’s pouring rain. I love an open porch on a house as well.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #37

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
We didn't order our new Casita with an awning for all the obvious reasons. We purchased a Clam as it is enclosed and somewhat bug and rain free in place of the awning, so far so good. We have looked at the Oliver for a future purchase, it comes with an awning, we will take it, but don't know how much it will be used as the Clam is very much to our liking.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #38

Name: Hal
Trailer: 2012 13’ Scamp - a new 2019 next spring !
Oregon
I agree with Lyle B
I have a 13 ' ( ordering a new 13' for next year ). I don't have an awning because it doesn't offer bug protection . My Coleman easy up screen tent does it all with almost no inconvenience
macnmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #39

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
I am curious how you patched the holes. I am in the process of removing my awning after it was damaged, and don’t want to replace it.’
Thanks.
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #40

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I installed a Fiamma awning last spring on my 5500, we love it!
As mentioned it's a pretty fragile awming, so I always retract if it t's too windy or rainy, of when leaving the campsite.
I've sealed the gap between the awning and the FG shell with a garage door rubber gasket. It's pretty lightweight, L-shaped, and I've glued it to the FG with VHB tape, so far it has held good and no water leaks.
The only drawbacks to far is I always try to roll the awning back when it's dry, since it's almost impossible for me to open it up to let it dry once I'm home (not enough space). Also, any dirt, leaves, twigs on it have to be brushed off before retracting, otherwise they will be rolled in with the awning, as the roller is on the trailer and not on the end or the arms like most standard RV awnings, where any debris just fall off (or can be brushed off easily) when rolling the awning back. My awning extends 8ft and is 12ft long, so it's a bit of a pain to try to brush it off before retraction.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning