DODGED A BULLET - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #1

Name: Vivienne
Trailer: Sun Trek 1998 "Wannabe"
Michigan
DODGED A BULLET

I have been texting back and forth, they did not pick up the phone!? with this person about this Casita

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...atkinsville-ga

Fortunately my BIL lives 40 minutes away from the "shopping center" that the lady wanted to meet at.

It was in tough shape. I texted that her price was high as I did my homework and found two other 1995 Casita FD's that sold 2 and 3 years ago for 7000 and 7500 respectively, both in the south. One in Ga and the other in TX.

She said she could get 10,500 for it.

humph!

Tom, who is my bloodhound, said she had it a year, did not know if the water heater worked, no furnace, the awning was an aftermarket blue tarp rolled up and moldy. The carpet was all stained, black marks running down the walls from the windows, and smelled.

Tom offered her 6k, she said she won't take less than 7.8

Hot diggity, am I happy she did not take Tom's offer, I'd have been mad as heck to have bought my first RV albeit, "project" nasty smells and all.

So she had her first no, supposedly someone was coming after Tom to look, (now why did she want to meet in a parking lot)

Yeah, dodged a bullet, big time. I have no use for people who want to scam me or any other hard working honest person.
Hubby and I have been in business for decades, gotta know when to fold em
Ladyofthelakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #2

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
It is not uncommon to meet in a public place to sell something, as people are uncomfortable to have others know where they live. They feel the unknown person/persons may rob them where nobody would hear their cries for help. I like to meet at the bank so monies can be exchanged and immediately deposited, and our bank is very close to the DMV also. Best of luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
DODGED A BULLET

Bullets sound so... permanent...

I like to think of it as kissing a frog, as in you have to kiss a few frogs to find a prince.

Yucky, perhaps, but non-lethal!

May your next frog be the one!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofthelakes View Post
I have been texting back and forth, they did not pick up the phone!? with this person about this Casita

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...atkinsville-ga

Fortunately my BIL lives 40 minutes away from the "shopping center" that the lady wanted to meet at.

It was in tough shape. I texted that her price was high as I did my homework and found two other 1995 Casita FD's that sold 2 and 3 years ago for 7000 and 7500 respectively, both in the south. One in Ga and the other in TX.

She said she could get 10,500 for it.

humph!

Tom, who is my bloodhound, said she had it a year, did not know if the water heater worked, no furnace, the awning was an aftermarket blue tarp rolled up and moldy. The carpet was all stained, black marks running down the walls from the windows, and smelled.

Tom offered her 6k, she said she won't take less than 7.8

Hot diggity, am I happy she did not take Tom's offer, I'd have been mad as heck to have bought my first RV albeit, "project" nasty smells and all.

So she had her first no, supposedly someone was coming after Tom to look, (now why did she want to meet in a parking lot)

Yeah, dodged a bullet, big time. I have no use for people who want to scam me or any other hard working honest person.
Hubby and I have been in business for decades, gotta know when to fold em
Who knows if fridge or anything worked. I'd never let someone buy a car or RV of any type for me. They could look and tell me what they see then I'd go look for myself. What is good in one person's eyes is garbage in another. Sounds like this woman has garbage and is trying to get money for it. Her story of another buyer was to get Tom to buy it now. Once you have stink and mold you have to strip most of the trailer to get it out. We've been there done that once and hopefully never again. We had one that the window had been left open by the previous person that owned it and even the dealer did not know that. We parked it and 3 months later went to clean it up to travel and found problems galore. It took stripping the entire dinette, hot water tank, etc to get the problems took care of. So be careful of water damage.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #5

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
yeah, that bullet went whizzing by!
I know its hard to wait but you're doing a good job researching values & asking lots of questions.
hang in there, the right one is out there!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #6

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Dave and Paula give a very good explanation for setting up any meeting involving the exchange of goods and cash in a public place. I'm the same way - I don't care to travel to someone else's turf and I don't particularly want them on mine. Its really just a sound business practice the way things are today. In this case, the seller went to a lot more trouble (hooking up and towing his/her camper to the meeting spot) than your BIL (and this is as it should be).

Also, don't let it become personal. For me, if a potential transaction is headed in that direction, its usually better if I just walk away. On the other hand, I try not to let the attitude of someone who appears to be really nice affect how much I'm willing to pay. Regardless of the seller's demeanor, separate that from the product as best you can. Trust but verify.

It sounds like you're doing due diligence in your search and I wish you luck. One final thing, six months after any purchase, I've almost always found someone got a better deal than I did. I've learned to live with that.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I don't really call this a scam. I call this an overpriced project where the seller thinks it is worth more than it probably is. I've paid too much for projects at times (like my current house). And trying to match someone else's deal can be a wild goose chase. First, who knows if this other deal was a project too? Or a deal between friends? Or whatever. Its really hard to get all of the facts.

As we progress into camping season, I think prices will firm up/move up. Projects are best suited for people with the time/tools/aptitude/indoor space to handle a project. Me in the end, I'd rather be camping!

Despite the durability of molded FG trailers, a lot of stuff has a useful life: refrigerator, furnace, hot water heater, AC, axle, etc. That stuff wears out just as fast in a molded trailer as it does in a stick built trailer.

+10 to me, buying something is never about the seller's personality. Its all about condition and price. Some people are definitely nicer to deal with! I always remember the Mayberry episode where Barney buys a nice used car from a sweet grandma.......

Some sellers are definitely in dream land too, hoping to get the best deal for their trailer (in their case, that means the highest price).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote