Doggie First Aid kit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2003, 10:55 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Actually is a EMT gel website, Darline! Gives dealer locations and/or online orders

http://www.emtgel.com/

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 11:51 AM   #22

Farmers

Charles, no farmer is likely to use something that costs as much as EMT Gel on livestock. They usually use inexpensive, but highly effective, sulfur-based salves and powders. Sulfadene is one, I believe, but am not sure about the name anymore since I no longer use it on my dogs now that I have the EMT stuff. These are also excellent for dogs and cats, but won't stop bleeding like EMT Gel will. I even use it on myself! (If it ain't fit for me, it ain't fit for my dogs either.)

Old 05-13-2003, 06:55 AM   #23

EMT Gel

You guys are great! There is a supplier here in Scottsdale (Scottsdale Live Stock Supply). I had never heard of the stuff, perhaps some of our hunting dog buddies have. I will spread the word. :wave Thanks again.

Old 05-13-2003, 07:12 AM   #24

allegric reactions

The benadryl is very important. I just had an allegric reaction to something, first time in my life, and started having my throat close off and everything. Luckily I was at work, so the EMT came and gave me a shot of benadryl then took me to the hospital. Since I never had had an allergic reaction before in my life, I didn't even know to take benadryl. Now I have some liquid benadryl in my car and plan to take it with me to dog shows and camping. I need to get an allergy kit as well, but in the meantime the benadryl could save my life.

You never know when something like that could happen to you or a pet!

Best,

Jane Eno

Old 05-15-2003, 06:13 PM   #25

Allergic Reaction

Hi Jane,
Sorry to hear of your experience. That must have been awful for you. We are thankful you are OK.
:wave

Old 05-16-2003, 11:32 AM   #26

One other item.

I forgot this earlier. We always carry a pair of Kelly forceps in our kit. They look like hi-tech, locking, long-nosed pliars. They're for removing porcupine quills in case the dogs get stuck by one. Also, some disinfectant to pour on the wound after the quills have been removed.

BTW, we've never had a problem with water for the dogs. If it's OK for us it's always been fine for them, too. They also drink a lot of water that is NOT fine for us and we've not had a problem. But doggies' systems are different and you should trust your own experience. (If we had to bring water from home for a two week trip for four dogs totaling 270 pounds we would have to pull a tanker behind the Casita!)

Old 06-02-2003, 07:54 PM   #27

cuts

Another thing that my vets told me to have on hand is some crazy glue. If it is a cut that is not bleeding, (like TWICE my dog got "bit" by the other jealous dogs while chasing a ball at 90 mph, a lab mind you, and tore a 3 inch rip in her side.) Then you can patch it up until you can get help. Of course clean it well first. And it works for us too!