Doggy Day Care - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #1

Name: Rod
Trailer: Scamp 16 Std Layout 4
West Virginia
Doggy Day Care

One of several reasons we bought our Scamp was to take our dog along for the ride. We've done that for a few multi-week trips to date and it does work well; but sometimes we would really like to go to a real restaurant and sit down to enjoy a meal or go into a museum or somesuch, and of course Cocker Spaniels aren't invited to share those visits. Most campgrounds insist that pets aren't left by themselves, although I know some folks do that. We had her in a "doggy day care" at Disneyworld (yes, they even had ice cream breaks) and that worked out just fine, but like most dog owners, we don't want to just drop her off with people we don't know we can trust to treat her as we do. Has anyone found a forum or website that lists such caregivers with a trust or experience rating? Kinda like Angie's List for doggy day care. We have found a couple of app's that can help us find a vet if needed, but so far we haven't needed that kind of help!
Rod D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The only thing I know of close to what you are asking for in the services directory at bringfido.com:
https://www.bringfido.com/resource

But as a rule, I find one has to give up those activities for the most part when traveling with a K-9. The campground rule seems to be only enforced if there are complaints, so if you make sure there are no complaints and the dogs are safe, then you can get away with ignoring the rule a little. The longest I have ever left mine in the camper alone was three hours, and that was with an older dog, with the radio on to drown out distracting noise she might hear, after she was tired out, and when the weather was no threat even if the electric service went out. Other than that, I usually only leave her for a quick shower.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You have just hit on a great idea. We often attend large fiberglass rallies all around the country and we haven't yet seen anyone offering to petsit for a couple of hours at a time.
We have people who host events, people who volunteer to provide campfires, people who offer seminars and tech sessions, people who provide music or host potlucks, even people who have provided big screen sporting events. Here's an opportunity for some folks to make themselves available to petsit for short periods?? Maybe even reciprocal??
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You have just hit on a great idea. We often attend large fiberglass rallies all around the country and we haven't yet seen anyone offering to petsit for a couple of hours at a time.
We have people who host events, people who volunteer to provide campfires, people who offer seminars and tech sessions, people who provide music or host potlucks, even people who have provided big screen sporting events. Here's an opportunity for some folks to make themselves available to petsit for short periods?? Maybe even reciprocal??
We leave our 4 poodles inside our camper when we leave. We have a Wyse indoor camera (30$) that gives us alerts on our phone with movement or sounds. That way if they bark we know it. In addition we can look in on them and hear the a/c running. Kinda like a nursery cam. Of course we have a hotspot so it depends on service but it works for us.
jcwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Pet sitting is a really big deal at the Escape Trailer Rally. Especially during the wine tour and golf tournament. Reciprocity seems to work well.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwill View Post
We leave our 4 poodles inside our camper when we leave. We have a Wyse indoor camera (30$) that gives us alerts on our phone with movement or sounds. That way if they bark we know it. In addition we can look in on them and hear the a/c running. Kinda like a nursery cam. Of course we have a hotspot so it depends on service but it works for us.
Your idea sounds great for pets who are well trained to be alone in a camper. Can you talk to them electronically when they are disturbed?

Many people I know are comfortable leaving their pets at home when they go out, but are reluctant or have difficulty training them to stay in their campers when they are out.

There are people who consider it pet abuse for others to leave their pets in a well ventilated car or alone in a trailer. These people have been known to commit property damage or file complaints even when there is no threat to the pet's welfare.

All factors considered, I think that volunteer help from fellow fiberglass rally folks might bring more peace of mind for some owners.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot
Missouri
Quote:
Your idea sounds great for pets who are well trained to be alone in a camper.

Many people I know are comfortable leaving their pets at home when they go out, but are reluctant or have difficulty training them to stay in their campers when they are out.

There are people who consider it pet abuse for others to leave their pets in a well ventilated car or alone in a trailer. These people have been known to commit property damage or file complaints even when there is no threat to the pet's welfare.

All factors considered, I think that volunteer help from fellow fiberglass rally folks might bring more peace of mind for some owners.
I understand. When we want to go out for a couple of hours though we check in every 30 minutes or so if they cannot go where we go. It is no more abusive than going out to a movie at home in my opinion.
jcwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:14 PM   #8

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I know that in an area you are not familiar with, talking to a local veterinarian should get you the name of a trusted pet sitter. Some vets also board animals.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Pet sitting is a really big deal at the Escape Trailer Rally. Especially during the wine tour and golf tournament. Reciprocity seems to work well.
I have only been to one Escape Rally and it wasn't on the left coast. It is nice to hear that the idea is working already it just hasn't caught on all over yet.

Who watches them when the owners have had a little too much wine?

I know my grandson's dog would not be welcome at a golf tourney...

he would retrieve every ball!!
Old 11-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
hah, my son's dog (a McNabb border collie) would herd the golfers together
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwill View Post
I understand. When we want to go out for a couple of hours though we check in every 30 minutes or so if they cannot go where we go. It is no more abusive than going out to a movie at home in my opinion.
I agree, but then everyone's needs (or concerns)are different.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Who watches them when the owners have had a little too much wine?
People ask and offer on the forum. With all behaved dogs it is not a problem. We have left Jasper to go one a wine tour every year. They are always happy to watch him.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #13

Quote:
I have only been to one Escape Rally and it wasn't on the left coast. It is nice to hear that the idea is working already it just hasn't caught on all over yet.
It may be something anyone organizing a rally would want to add or even a participant (with doggy day care needs) would like to organize. Remember, a rally often takes a community to be successful
Old 11-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
we've used dogvacay.com once or twice. looks like they are now https://www.rover.com ... this is kinda like a AirBNB for pets...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
It may be something anyone organizing a rally would want to add or even a participant (with doggy day care needs) would like to organize. Remember, a rally often takes a community to be successful
I agree and hope someone does volunteer more often.
Not me, my last dog died 55 years ago, he was not replaced because I don't want the responsibility it takes to properly care for my own pet.
A well disciplined dog with a caring owner is a joy to know, but it is a LOT of work and worry, especially nowadays!
If I ever get another pet it will be a Boa Constrictor , I like a lot of hugs!
Old 11-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
If I ever get another pet it will be a Boa Constrictor , I like a lot of hugs!
Attached Thumbnails
stone.jpg  
Old 11-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #17

One of my dearest family members owned a traveling zoo (in the 1980s). They had a boa... it got out of the cage inside my Aunt's home. She moved to a motel for a couple of days. After tearing the house apart looking for the boa, they found it wrapped around the wire behind a framed picture. It WAS angry. The picture wire cut into it.

They fed the boa live mice and small rabbits. Go to sleep tonight with that in your head.... I dare you.

Although this was my favorite Aunt, how she choose to live her life gave me the Willies.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
They fed the boa live mice and small rabbits. Go to sleep tonight with that in your head.... I dare you.
Fortunately I am pretty sure Floyd was only joking about the boa, as was I. And I'm sorry for the topic drift, but I could not resit the humor.

But back to doggy day care... I have had two dogs in the last 12 years. The first one is still with me, and lying next to me at this moment. I can count on one hand the number of people I would leave her with. And maybe even then have a a few digits left over. The other one, I would leave with anyone... we never really bonded.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Old 11-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #20

Name: Rod
Trailer: Scamp 16 Std Layout 4
West Virginia
Thank You Dog Lovers Everywhere!

As we've traveled it's hard not to notice that there are dogs at every campground. I just knew you folks would have some ideas and comments to share. Thank you all. Many good ideas and a couple of interesting websites already. Tessa thanks you all!
Rod D is offline   Reply With Quote