Dometic Frig Panel Shorting Out - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #1

Name: Steve and Julie
Trailer: Camp Lite by Livin Lite
Indiana
Dometic Frig Panel Shorting Out

Hi All: We have a Dometic frig that has the push button controls at the top. I am sorry but the manual is in the RV in storage so I will attach a picture of a similar unit, if possible! I do not have the model number. It is a 3-way unit.

It appears that the contacts are worn in that when we press or press-n-hold the buttons to turn it on, it doesn't come on or stay on. Only after several minutes of trying will it come on to cool down the frig overnight before leaving on a trip. During our last trip it would not stay on. Although we did have problems with the electrical hook-up at the campground needing THEIR breaker replaced/tripping, we have had this issue for over a year at other places with great hook-ups. The problem is just getting worse.

Question: can you simply purchase a new control panel for this frig? Pop out the current panel, clean the contacts and pop it back in? Thank you.
stevenjuliehorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #2

Indiana
Old 05-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Whatever you may have attached in your 2nd post, (I'm thinking it was supposed to be your fridge picture,) doesn't come up.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

Indiana
Here is a link to one that looks similar: https://www.camperpartsworld.com/mob...rigerator.html
Old 05-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #5

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Dometic problem

Sounds like there could be more problems than the control panel.
First off, more facts needed:
Are you trying to use propane or electric/120v?
If electric, will it run on propane?
"Although we did have problems with the electrical hook-up at the campground needing THEIR breaker replaced/tripping, we have had this issue for over a year at other places with great hook-ups." Do you mean you have tripped CG breakers at other campgrounds?
If you have tripped breakers at more than one campground you've got a serious problem that needs a thorough diagnosis before you start just replacing parts. Why do you think it is in the control panel? It could be an intermittent short in the heater circuit.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:12 PM   #6

Indiana
Hi Wilyoung and thank you for your reply.

We have never tripped a campground breaker before nor a breaker in the Camplite. We have never had a problem at home either.

The frig problems are the same with propane or electric (AC and DC). The problem is getting the frig to turn on. We have to push the on/off button many times, push and hold it, and repeat this before it will stay on. The button will click on and off. The indicator lights will illuminate for power, propane or AC or DC but will not stay lit. After a total of 10-20 minites of pressing the buttons, the frig will come on and go to AC as selected (and when the Camplite is plugged in) and stay on. Occasionally, it pops off again later and you have to keep playing with the switch to get it to come back on again. Using the propane setting makes no difference. The problem turning the frig on is the same.

Seems to us like a bad switch plate?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:07 PM   #7

Washington
There are some circuit boards and control panels available. Depends on your particular model. Amazon has a 3-way refer "Upper Control Board", Dometic # 2932884030 for $146.76. That gives you an idea of the cost.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #8

Indiana
That's pretty close. Looks like it's time to visit the storage lot and get the exact model number. Thank you!

I take it that the replacement is fairly straightforward? Any tips?
Old 05-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #9

Washington
Sorry, can't help with the replacement process. I haven't had problems in that area.

Another thought before committing to replace the panel/circuit board - Your problem might be with a loose/intermittent connection, maybe in the thermostat circuit. I'd try opening it up and checking all connections first. Intermittents can be a real pain to find.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:40 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I had a similar problem with my Dometic fridge. It was one year old. Plus 30 C. in the back country. Meat thawing, no cold beer!
I hot-wired the fridge to keep it running and lit it with a Bic lighter.
Turned out it was the mother board had delaminated. Dometic used cheap Chinese mother boards.
Garbage.
I replaced it with a made-in-America after market mother board. Nine years, no problems. Easy to replace. Two screws and plug it in.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote