Door Latch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1972 Tote 'N Tarry
Washington
Door Latch

OK-Here we go! We are newbies to the fiberglass scene. Been looking for something small to tow behind the wife's Ford Ranger for weekending. A few weeks back we tripped upon a 1972 Tote 'n Tarry in pretty good shape. Guess what? We been workin' on it ever since! Needless to say, I have a bazillion questions about these little jewels, but the one that has prompted me to come here is: We have no door key. I know this thing isn't exactly Fort Knox, but we would just like having the satisfaction of locking the door with a key. The latch appears to be the original and works good and I don't want to try to remove it. Can anybody tell me what kind of (brand name) latch may have been used on this trailer? It has a key code number on it but I cant find a name.
HohBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Bill. Please post a picture of the latch. If you do that, I can almost guarantee one of the knowledgeable members here will recognize and identify it for you.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #3

Washington
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Latch.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	82243Here are the photos of the latch I am trying to identify. As I said before, the latch works good so for now I am trying to avoid removing it. As can be seen by the inside pic, it looks like there have been some extra rivets/blind fasteners added so just removing it could be a project in itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Latch.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	82244
Old 04-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I think Scamp uses that inside latch. I bought one for our vintage teardrop from one of the teardrop parts suppliers, and a similar outside locking handle
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Washington
I have been searching, but have not been able to find an image I can match this with. As said before, I am trying to find a key to fit this lock using the key code that is stamped on it, but don't know the manufacturer.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I once took a picture of a lock to a locksmith. Based on what he saw, he was able to make me a key. He certainly knew more about locks than I did. Best of luck.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

Washington
I think that we can figure this out eventually. We actually have a key that fits in the lock, plus the key code on the lock-so it shouldn't be that hard. Also, if I go online with the key code, I find results related to Hudson & Chicago lock. I am just a little hesitant to order a key without more info about the lock. I am sure that a locksmith wouldn't have a problem based on this info.

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-26-2015, 06:23 AM   #8

Name: Patti
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Hi Bill and all the rest of you...
I too am new to this forum. On my maiden trip with our 2011 Scamp I managed to drop my key in a Walmart parking lot. Didn't notice until I arrived at destination. After extreme anxiety, and consideration given to trying to take the door OFF, I wandered over to another Scamp owner in the campground and asked if they might be willing to try opening my door with their key. It WORKED!! We had a spare key inside the unit, and I was able to have duplicates made at the local hardware store. Since that time we've also learned that Scamp sells whole replacement door locks.
pmfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Door Latch

I bought an identical replacement door handle and lock at a local RV store for about the same price as Scamp but no shipping. You can also buy a garage door handle with a square shaft (either a T-handle or lever-style) at any hardware store. In both cases you will have to cut the square shaft flush with the end of the inside latch. The replacements are made for thicker doors than the Scamp.

When locked out, unless the inside security pin is inserted, you can get in by removing the outside handle with two Phillips screws. Then manually turn the inner latch with some convenient tool (wide blade screwdriver or needle nose pliers) inserted into the square opening.

All this should be a caution against securing valuables in the trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote