Double hull trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Looking
Oregon
Double hull trailers

Hello, recently retired and we are looking for a durable, easy to maintain trailer. Can some of the experienced hands out there tell me what manufacturers offer a double wall/hull insulated trailer?

Which manufacturers offer exposed fiberglass cabinets/walls vs. those that are lining them?

Is condensation a problem with exposed fiberglass in single and/or double hull trailers?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me in this pursuit.
firebasebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
With good wall coverings, condensation on the walls isn't much of a problem. Sometimes the cupboards will have issues during cool shoulder seasons and winter camping. You'll find single-pane windows to be a bigger problem with condensation. I believe Escape and Oliver are the only two current manufacturers offering dual-pane windows.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Olivers are double hull, exposed fiberglass inside, no linings. We've had no issues with condensation.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The 1500 series Bigfoot models (1978-2005) are constructed with outer fiberglass shell, 1" Styrofoam, and inner covering of plywood. The 2500 series (2005 to present) has 3" of Styrofoam between layers. This insulation is in the walls, ceiling and floor and is glued into a sandwich. Some models have double pane windows and some don't.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Double hull

The HCI is also double hulled with a tihin layer of insulation between . Upper cabinets are part of the interior mold
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #6

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
Burros are also double hull, including the cabinets which are of the inner hull. We've had zero condensation issues with the walls. Only problem has been with the single pane windows which arevery common.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: Looking
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
The HCI is also double hulled with a tihin layer of insulation between . Upper cabinets are part of the interior mold
Thanks for the informative replies. It was the HC1 that got us interested in "glass" campers. The double hull design just has to be so much more durable than a stick built, or even single wall glass construction. Ease of maintenance must be improved as well.
firebasebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebasebob View Post
Thanks for the informative replies. It was the HC1 that got us interested in "glass" campers. The double hull design just has to be so much more durable than a stick built, or even single wall glass construction. Ease of maintenance must be improved as well.
Not sure I agree with that. Single wall fiberglass has the advantage of simplicity. It's easier to track down leaks, easier to make modifications, easier to make fiberglass repairs, since the structural part of the repair is made from the inside. By maintenance, I assume perhaps you mean rivets. To me the additional maintenance required is negligible- under an hour every 4 or 5 years to replace the caps. Rivets simplify the build process, keeping costs down.

Some double hull designs are fabricated of separate inner and outer molds and assembled after curing: Burro, U-Haul, EggCamper, and Oliver. These have the disadvantage of less flexibility in layout, since entirely new inside molds have to be created for each floor plan variation. The approach provides space for insulation between the layers, though not all do. I believe I read that insulation was optional on Burros, for example.

Others are molded and bonded together in the fabrication stage: Lil Snoozy and the HC1. I've never read a really clear description of the manufacturing process for either, so I hope I'm not misrepresenting here. This is a relative new approach for RVs, so its long-term durability hasn't been proven in this application. It is more structurally rigid- perhaps that what you meant- so there is more flexibility in how the interior is finished out.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not sure I agree with that. Single wall fiberglass has the advantage of simplicity. It's easier to track down leaks, easier to make modifications, easier to make fiberglass repairs, since the structural part of the repair is made from the inside. By maintenance, I assume you mean rivets. To me the additional maintenance required is negligible- under an hour every 4 or 5 years to replace the caps. Rivets simplify the build process, keeping costs down.

Some double hull designs are fabricated of separate inner and outer molds and assembled after curing: Burro, U-Haul, EggCamper, and Oliver. These have the disadvantage of less flexibility in layout, since entirely new inside molds have to be created for each floor plan variation. The approach provides space for insulation between the layers, though not all do. I believe I read that insulation was optional on Burros, for example.

Others are molded and bonded together in the fabrication stage: Lil Snoozy and the HC1. I've never read a really clear description of the manufacturing process, so I hope I'm not misrepresenting here. This is a relative new approach for RVs, so its long-term durability hasn't been proven in this application. It is more structurally rigid- perhaps that what you meant- so there is more flexibility in how the interior is finished out.
All you have to do is read on many threads here how many have issues redoing there ensolite,carpet,rat fur to see how much more durable a double hull can be ,but of course that comes at a higher cost which is why you will see a higher cost on a double hulled trailer
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
All you have to do is read on many threads here how many have issues redoing there ensolite,carpet,rat fur to see how much more durable a double hull can be ,but of course that comes at a higher cost which is why you will see a higher cost on a double hulled trailer
Most lining failures I have seen involve trailers approaching their 40th birthday and typically showing evidence of neglect somewhere along the way. Hardly an indictment of the design. Single hull trailers are simple, economical, and time-tested.

On the other hand, there is no doubt the HC1 is a beautiful, innovative trailer. I'd love to visit the facility in Los Angeles some day and see how they are made. I wish Happier Camper every success!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's an interesting factual read from a member who purchased a double-hull trailer: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-30325.html

I have no dog in this fight, just trying to provide some information that some may find of value during their "perfect" egg hunt.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote