Downside of Scamp 19' 5er? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #41
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,458
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
..."Boob tube" coming from a time when televisions had CRTs, as distinguished from a modern TV which should now be called ironically a "flat lcd"?!
Wouldn’t that be the same time, as distinguished from modern times, when the Scamps made today were designed. Nobody understands better than you Floyd that just because something isn’t “modern” it should be denigrated or labeled as outdated with any implication that perhaps it should be discarded for the more modern.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,756
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Of a bigger concern, why is Floyd posting something that says “Southern Style”?
Bless your heart!Love that Okra!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Posts: 3,164
Registry
We looked long and hard at an Escape 5th wheel, and the one thing we kept going back to is we did not want to lose the storage capacity of the truck bed. We had a fifth wheel years ago, and loved the upper bedroom. That trailer was very roomy, much better than our Escape trailer. So its a trade off for sure!

I definitely like the floor plan of a fifth wheel or the Scamp 19 whatever it is, over the Scamp 16. Much larger dinette, with a nice separate bed area.

We are amateur pickers. Seems like every vacation becomes a picking trip as well. So the truck is usually full by the time we are heading home.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,427
Registry
Biggest downside in my mind is the loft is set up for transverse sleeping. The standard can be modified for longways sleeping but not the deluxe due to the bathroom location.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,756
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Wouldn’t that be the same time, as distinguished from modern times, when the Scamps made today were designed. Nobody understands better than you Floyd that just because something isn’t “modern” it should be denigrated or labeled as outdated with any implication that perhaps it should be discarded for the more modern.
I do understand, but I was just trying to distinguish the difference in this circumstance!
You really can't discard a perfectly good CRT today,you can't sell it, or give it away, heck even the garbage man won't take it! You must PAY someone to haul the ignominious thing away!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #46
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,458
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo64 View Post
Well, wasn't that fun? Okay...the Scamp 19 isn't a 5th wheel, got it.

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled forum post.

Thanks all for your insights and experiences both good and bad. Please feel free to continue directly answering my original post, now that I have been thoroughly washed and sanitized in the proper vernacular.
Okay, Michael, since you ask. In your OP, you specifically asked about regrets. I regret I bought mine. For me, my Scamp 19 or whatever you want to call it was nothing but trouble and a source of constant annoyance. I personally wouldn’t buy another. But I would say this: if you like it’s looks and you like its layout and you think it will meet your needs and desires, I would tell you to buy a Scamp 19 without giving it a second thought. In the final analysis, my (or anyone else’s) regrets or praises do not matter. Any given trailer is like any given politician......some people will say he/she is doing a great job while others will say he/she is a bleeping idiot. Should you buy a Scamp 19, only your opinion of it really matters.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Posts: 739
My twin axle Escape 21' has a 5th wheel. It's mounted on the rear bumper as a spare.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 25,171
Once upon a time, I thought a Scamp 5er was in my future. THEN Escape built the single-axle 5.0 classic. Oh my stars... but still not ready YET. THEN Escape posted the possibility of a dual-axle 5.0TA. The interior layout looked like it was written on a cocktail napkin and the "image" was just something created from Photoshop. I practically broke my arm getting my checkbook out to write a check for a deposit.... BEFORE there was even a mold for the trailer. Three and a half years LATER from the date I picked up MY custom built 5.0TA.... ZERO REGRETS.

But in the end, it's not what you tow, it's that you GO! You'll find it's more about the memories you make and less about the trailer you owned that got you there.

Good luck and have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Picture.jpg  
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
rbryan's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Posts: 1,300
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
They were significantly larger than those, I think.
Think square French fries.
But, I wouldn't call those hash browns either.
This'll tide you over Glenn. Scrambled with cheese, REAL hash browns and chicken fried chicken with cream gravy, biscuits on the side. Available now at any Jims in Texas. Y'all come.Click image for larger version

Name:	o.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	115445
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:56 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Posts: 7,240
Best fried chicken I ever had was in a church basement in Texas. I would have been about 12 at the time. Had third and more helpings.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:20 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Paul O.'s Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I do understand, but I was just trying to distinguish the difference in this circumstance!
You really can't discard a perfectly good CRT today,you can't sell it, or give it away, heck even the garbage man won't take it! You must PAY someone to haul the ignominious thing away!
And what does that someone do with that CRT? Probably smashes it to bits and throws it in his trash.

Back to the topic at hand. The Scamp19 (5th wheel or whatever) does not preclude the use of the truck bed. My tripod stabilizer travels there, a big cooler, wood scraps for setting up on uneven or soft ground, water bladder(s), lawn chairs, the landing gear crank, etc. One thing to watch out for is the monster wind storm created in the bed by any kind of 5th wheel (here we go again!) trailer. Anything light must be secured, or it will be lost - I know. Also, no long, loose ends of ropes or straps!

As far as the size of the loft bed, I would recommend to find someone who would let you climb in their Scamp 5th (no wheel) bed and spend a few minutes to try it on for size. I'm 5'10" and I had to get used to it, but no big deal now.

One possible negative: it is high and will not fit in a garage, whereas the smaller Scamps without the AC on top might fit.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:29 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: Bigfoot
Utah
Posts: 266
Registry
Maybe a little contrary to this post, we're hoping a *benefit* of the Scamp 5er is the loft bed. We like the looks of the deluxe because it makes the bed a little private. Plus, we like the taller front bathroom because the man of the house is about 6'2". We're also hoping the loft bed will be a little more comfortable than our 16' dinette bed. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Maybe more to the point: can anyone measure the largest rectangle that fits in their deluxe 5er loft bed?

And of course, we'd love to see (and lay in) a Deluxe 5er if there are any floating around northern Utah!
__________________
LUCINDA 1989 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | Steve, Rosemary, Maude Pod & Tripawd Hope
'Glass trips: Moab 03/10 * The Swell 5/26/11 * Antelope Island 12/21/11 * Strawberry Res 6/12 * Whitney Res 6/14 * Uintahs 7/15 * East Fork of Black's 6/16 * St Mary-Ennis-Lava 6/18
Steve and Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:31 AM   #53
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Posts: 1,458
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Maybe a little contrary to this post, we're hoping a *benefit* of the Scamp 5er is the loft bed. We like the looks of the deluxe because it makes the bed a little private. Plus, we like the taller front bathroom because the man of the house is about 6'2". We're also hoping the loft bed will be a little more comfortable than our 16' dinette bed. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Maybe more to the point: can anyone measure the largest rectangle that fits in their deluxe 5er loft bed?

And of course, we'd love to see (and lay in) a Deluxe 5er if there are any floating around northern Utah!
I am 5’9” and when I laid on my back in the 19 deluxe’s loft, my head touched on one side and my toes on the other. At 6’2” you will have to sleep somewhat
”curled up.” There are two potential downsides to the deluxe’s loft configuration other than length. First, the person sleeping away from the stairs has to crawl over the person nearest the stairs if they have to get up in the middle of the night. Second, air flow to the loft is impeded by the lack of openness. This can somewhat be alleviated by installing a small wall fan near the staircase. I recall seeing a mod where someone installed a couple of registers and vent pipe with a fan in the pipe over the bathroom. There is a cabinet above the bathroom that opens into the sleeping area. It can get warm and/or stuffy up there. It could be an issue if you are camping where it gets hot and you want to use A/C if it is one of the options you have installed in the trailer.
Sorry, can’t give you the dimension you request. Hopefully, a current Scamp 19 owner can provide that.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:20 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,427
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
...Maybe more to the point: can anyone measure the largest rectangle that fits in their deluxe 5er loft bed?
I believe- perhaps an owner car verify or correct- the maximum dimensions are about 60" front-to-back by 76" left-to-right. The front corners are curved, so to get a perfect rectangle you 'd have to eliminate 6-8" of width, leaving a gap along the edge of the mattress toward the front of the trailer. A full-size mattress might fit, assuming it's flexible enough to get up the stairs, past the bathroom enclosure, and into that space.

Your best bet, as someone said, is to get inside one for yourself. Numbers don't tell the whole story. Realize it's a smaller-than-queen-sized space closed in on 3-2/3 sides. Some love it, while others find it confining. I hope someone nearby will offer a look-see. If not, Scamp may be able to set you up through their referral program- wouldn't hurt to call. Or visit a rally (iffy, as 19D's are not all that common), or wait for a used one to come on the market near you.

If the Escape 5.0TA is bigger than you want, you could also wait for a used 5.0 Classic to come up for sale. The loft holds a longways standard queen, no crawl-over and full 80" length. In my mind it's a better arrangement for a taller person.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:01 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 5,058
Wasn't there some discussion a while back about axle mount problems on the Scamp 19. Tearing loose or cracking at the axle to frame point maybe ??
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Biggest downside in my mind is the loft is set up for transverse sleeping. The standard can be modified for longways sleeping but not the deluxe due to the bathroom location.
We purchased a 2011 Std. Scamp 19, camped close to the factory our first night, and had a some overnight rain. I am 5'11 and awoke the next morning with damp sheets at my feet. We returned to the factory where they replaced the leaking window. I'm a side sleeper so the length of the sleeping area wasn't generally a problem until I stretched out and then I noticed my feet pushing against the window. I don't know how the 6'4 guy handles it, but we soon installed an actual full-size mattress oriented back to front, which can't be done with the deluxe. It was a bit of a jury-rigged system, but it worked much better for us than the original.

While being able to stand up in the front bath would have been nice, I think we would have found the enclosed loft claustrophobic as well as too short. The stairs are certainly nicer than the standard's ladder.

We purchased a 2014 Escape 5.0TA, which I'm reluctant to call a 5th-wheel as we covered over its kingpin with an Andersen adapter and use their Ultimate hitch. We feel this setup has all of the attributes of a 5th-wheel plus, though we do have to deal with the dreaded safety chains.

If we were starting over today, we would go directly to the Escape. When the value of the features it offers that Scamp doesn't, the pricing isn't that much different from the 19 Deluxe. We enjoyed our Scamp, but like the Escape much more.

Good luck with your search,

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA/ 2016 Ram V6 Eco Diesel
Ontario
Posts: 4,022
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
We purchased a 2011 Std. Scamp 19, camped close to the factory our first night, and had a some overnight rain. I am 5'11 and awoke the next morning with damp sheets at my feet. We returned to the factory where they replaced the leaking window. I'm a side sleeper so the length of the sleeping area wasn't generally a problem until I stretched out and then I noticed my feet pushing against the window. I don't know how the 6'4 guy handles it, but we soon installed an actual full-size mattress oriented back to front, which can't be done with the deluxe. It was a bit of a jury-rigged system, but it worked much better for us than the original.

While being able to stand up in the front bath would have been nice, I think we would have found the enclosed loft claustrophobic as well as too short. The stairs are certainly nicer than the standard's ladder.

We purchased a 2014 Escape 5.0TA, which I'm reluctant to call a 5th-wheel as we covered over its kingpin with an Andersen adapter and use their Ultimate hitch. We feel this setup has all of the attributes of a 5th-wheel plus, though we do have to deal with the dreaded safety chains.

If we were starting over today, we would go directly to the Escape. When the value of the features it offers that Scamp doesn't, the pricing isn't that much different from the 19 Deluxe. We enjoyed our Scamp, but like the Escape much more.

Good luck with your search,

David
Hi: Stretcher... Our Downside of the Scamp 19 turned into an upside when the factory caught fire. The folks we got our 5.0 Escape from were forced to search for another trailer to take to Alaska. Our lucky day... but not so lucky as the day we picked up our 2014 Escape 5.0TA.
See ya in Sebring?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,427
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Wasn't there some discussion a while back about axle mount problems on the Scamp 19. Tearing loose or cracking at the axle to frame point maybe ??
Yes. There was a recall that affected some years. If you buy a used Scamp 19 from one of the affected years, I would have it inspected. Don't recall the exact years, sometime in the 00's I think. Not new ones.

Here is one of several threads on the topic:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-31032.html

It's my understanding Scamp will pay for a repair, though I would negotiate for a cost share on a whole new axle if it were me.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,756
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
And what does that someone do with that CRT? Probably smashes it to bits and throws it in his trash.

Back to the topic at hand. The Scamp19 (5th wheel or whatever) does not preclude the use of the truck bed. My tripod stabilizer travels there, a big cooler, wood scraps for setting up on uneven or soft ground, water bladder(s), lawn chairs, the landing gear crank, etc. One thing to watch out for is the monster wind storm created in the bed by any kind of 5th wheel (here we go again!) trailer. Anything light must be secured, or it will be lost - I know. Also, no long, loose ends of ropes or straps!

As far as the size of the loft bed, I would recommend to find someone who would let you climb in their Scamp 5th (no wheel) bed and spend a few minutes to try it on for size. I'm 5'10" and I had to get used to it, but no big deal now.

One possible negative: it is high and will not fit in a garage, whereas the smaller Scamps without the AC on top might fit.
Believe me, I have been in every corner of every size and type Scamp ever made.
I'm 6'0" and 66 YO.
But that made me think of a drawback to the Deluxe 5'er, it is a little difficult to get A/C into the loft. One cure is to have an exhaust fan/vent in the loft to let heat out and draw cold air from below. It also works well to keep the loft cool when boondocking.
A ducted fan or even just a fan mounted near the door will solve the problem also, since it is only a bit of a problem.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Paul O.'s Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Posts: 1,663
We use the AC rarely, and it bothered me more that the heated air could not find its way up to the loft at all. I have two 12V computer power supply fans mounted above the bathroom door and they push the air to the loft through the open door of the storage compartment. A thermal switch, (make on hot - such as used on kitchen kick-space heaters) is mounted on the furnace exhaust. It turns them on after about a minute of heating and turns off about 5 minutes after the the furnace stops. Reasonably low power draw, and a big improvement in comfort.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downside of Blue Highways Mitzi Agnew-Giles General Chat 17 10-31-2016 02:53 PM
Noob Asks: What's the Downside to This? redwoodguy General Chat 49 07-08-2011 03:45 PM
Escape or Scamp 5er Ed Felker General Chat 23 02-11-2007 12:40 AM
Need opinions from Scamp 5er owners Darill Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 07-16-2006 11:15 PM
? ? Location of hitch for Scamp 5er ? ? Darill General Chat 1 07-10-2006 09:20 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.