Downside of Scamp 19' 5er? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #61

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Maybe a little contrary to this post, we're hoping a *benefit* of the Scamp 5er is the loft bed. We like the looks of the deluxe because it makes the bed a little private. Plus, we like the taller front bathroom because the man of the house is about 6'2". We're also hoping the loft bed will be a little more comfortable than our 16' dinette bed. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Maybe more to the point: can anyone measure the largest rectangle that fits in their deluxe 5er loft bed?

And of course, we'd love to see (and lay in) a Deluxe 5er if there are any floating around northern Utah!
As others have suggested, you should definitely check one out in person before making a decision to buy. We'll be in southern Utah a bit later this year if you'd like to take a look at ours. Come on down in the 16' and camp with us for a while. I'll send you a PM with more info.

To address some of the valid concerns mentioned here. I just went out and measured the loft dimensions in our 01 Scamp 19 front bath deluxe.

Left inside wall to right inside wall (at the top of the stairs)........73"
Left corner (next to the bath bulkhead) to right inside front (street side corner).... 85"
Center width (from bath bulkhead at top of stairs) to front inside wall......... 57"

As stated earlier, I'm 6'4" and 250#'s. Cindy is 5'6" and much closer to her acquisition weight (forty years ago this June). I sleep next to the bath bulkhead with my feet towards the steps- sometimes curled up; sometimes at an angle. I haven't kicked a screen out yet. She doesn't have a problem getting by me if she needs to get up first. Our preference is definitely for the front bath floor plan.

We found the Scamp cushions to be awful for sleeping but live only a few miles from Southern Mattress in Rocky Mount, NC. We had them make a custom mattress for a 16' and did the same when we got the 19'. We think they were/are as good as what we have at home and I'm pretty sure there are others on this board who have their products. Bedding is from the now defunct Trav-a-Sak folks and works great.

Good points about air movement in the forward berth. I installed a Maxx Fan above the bed and that solved this for both heat and cooling. We mostly dry camp and have a genset which could power the AC but we very seldom use it since installing the fan. Having it on a low exhaust setting pulls warm air up to keep us comfortable.

Our 19' did not have the axle weld problems but our sixteen did. The separation is easily identified and a fifteen minute fix for a reasonably competent welder. We were second owners of the 16 and Scamp did not offer any compensation when I sent them before and after pictures. The axle was not affected, only the mounting brackets, so I doubt they'll spring for a replacement.

We tow with a 4WD Tacoma short bed (60") double cab. Our 73 qt Ozark Trail cooler, Honda EU3000i genset and a Scepter 5 gal fuel can fit side by side in the front of the bed on a platform and there's still enough clearance to turn the truck almost ninety degress before any interference with the trailer. A Baja roof rack provides additional storage capacity. Good point about not leaving any lighter objects in the bed without securing them. I accused Cindy of leaving our wheel chocks behind more than once until I saw one bouncing down the highway behind us.

Would we love to have an Escape 5.0TA? Absolutely. I've only seen their bumper pull models firsthand but have been thoroughly impressed with their design and quality. Would owning one make our camping experiences any better? I doubt it. Its taken us a good while to come up with what works for us and I think we're finally there.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #62

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Thanks to everyone for the fantastic information! As we suspected, nothing beats getting inside one and feeling it out in person. Until then, the measurements Al gave (thanks so much for that) match those of a futon we have which is definitely bigger than our current 16's bed. What an upgrade!

Still, the comments about the area feeling a bit confined and regarding difficult maneuvers to get in and out are valuable and we're just going to have to test it out. If the bathroom in the standard were taller, we wouldn't be opposed to modifying one but we need to a slightly larger bath.

Anyways, thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences!
Old 01-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #63

Name: Peter
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Hello Michael.

We purchased our 2010 Scamp 19 footer 3 years ago and have used it for over 100 nights so far with zero problems. I see you mentioned "front bath" in your original post and I take that to mean you are interested in the "deluxe" version.
I will tell you this: while the deluxe does have a larger bath, the standard has a slightly smaller side wet bath. There is a huge benefit in having the smaller side bath and that is you can configure the loft for a "north/south" sleeping arrangement by keeping the sofa in the bunk configuration, which provides a bed area larger than a residential king size bed in the loft. In addition, doing this also allows the sofa seating area to be used for storage. We have outfitted this area with one of those plastic 2 drawer arrangements (can be bought anywhere) which allows ample room for all our clothing for up to a two week outing. Keep in mind it is just myself and my wife and this arrangement works fantastic for 2 people, although we have had up to 4 (including our two grown children) for a weekend outing.

This fall (2018) we will be selling our Scamp for something larger to full time in. I see you are not too terribly far away from us here in Iowa. If you think you might be interested, PM me for more details about our camper and possible sale.

BTW, all the talk above about whether or not the 19 is a "fifth wheel" is meaningless. The bottom line is the configuration works just fine and is certainly less expensive than purchasing and installing a fifth wheel hitch would be. In fact, almost every one I've seen sold used has included the hitch in the sale, which is what we will be doing as well. We'd probably deliver the rig to the new purchaser as well, for a reasonable fee. An added benefit is that with the ball hitch in the bed of the truck, there is NO WAY anyone can steal the rig unless they have the exact same set up, of which there are two chances: slim and none!

Peter
Peter S. in Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #64

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Just stumbled across this thread after seeing it earlier.
To those who are campaigning to disallow calling the Scamp 19 a 5th wheel, good luck!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:56 PM   #65

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I appreciated folks sharing information and opinions about the Scamp 19 here. It was interesting to read about the air circulation issues, the difference between the front and side bath configurations, and the configuration of the sleeping area. As I've only owned bumper-pulls, I really enjoyed learning more about fifth wheel trailers here.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #66

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I appreciated folks sharing information and opinions about the Scamp 19 here. It was interesting to read about the air circulation issues, the difference between the front and side bath configurations, and the configuration of the sleeping area. As I've only owned bumper-pulls, I really enjoyed learning more about fifth wheel trailers here.

We have the Scamp 19 Standard so no air circulation problems. I am also a little over 6’1” and have not knocked out any screens in the loft bed.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #67

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
We purchased a 2011 Std. Scamp 19, camped close to the factory our first night, and had a some overnight rain. I am 5'11 and awoke the next morning with damp sheets at my feet. We returned to the factory where they replaced the leaking window. I'm a side sleeper so the length of the sleeping area wasn't generally a problem until I stretched out and then I noticed my feet pushing against the window. I don't know how the 6'4 guy handles it, but we soon installed an actual full-size mattress oriented back to front, which can't be done with the deluxe. It was a bit of a jury-rigged system, but it worked much better for us than the original.

While being able to stand up in the front bath would have been nice, I think we would have found the enclosed loft claustrophobic as well as too short. The stairs are certainly nicer than the standard's ladder.

We purchased a 2014 Escape 5.0TA, which I'm reluctant to call a 5th-wheel as we covered over its kingpin with an Andersen adapter and use their Ultimate hitch. We feel this setup has all of the attributes of a 5th-wheel plus, though we do have to deal with the dreaded safety chains.

If we were starting over today, we would go directly to the Escape. When the value of the features it offers that Scamp doesn't, the pricing isn't that much different from the 19 Deluxe. We enjoyed our Scamp, but like the Escape much more.

Good luck with your search,

David
Thanks David, I needed to read your post.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:41 PM   #68

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Just a comment from a old time retired trucker. A fifth wheel is not a fifth wheel. What you folks are calling a fifth wheel is in reality, a coupling device!!! That was the one question I missed when I took my Class A test way back in 1968. I called it a fifth wheel and was wrong!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #69

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
To those who are campaigning to disallow calling the Scamp 19 a 5th wheel, good luck!

But, ugly is still allowed.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:38 PM   #70

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Just stumbled across this thread after seeing it earlier.
It is said you can’t fix stupid. But you can address ignorance with education. I wouldn’t say anyone is campaigning to disallow calling the Scamp 19 a 5th wheel. I would simply say that those who insist a Scamp 19 is a 5th wheel do not have the knowledge of what a fifth wheel is, and either have not been educated that 5th wheel is a type of trailer connection that is NOT a coupler and a ball as the Scamp 19 utilizes. But honestly, does it really matter how people describe a Scamp 19?
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #71

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Funny in this whole, long thread no one has mentioned loss of tow vehicle cargo space. In my mind that’s probably the biggest downside of trailers with “over-the-axle coupling systems.”

Or maybe I was having so much fun re-reading the debate about what to call this one-of-a-kind hybrid design I missed it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #72

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Funny in this whole, long thread no one has mentioned loss of tow vehicle cargo space. In my mind that’s probably the biggest downside of trailers with “over-the-axle coupling systems.”

Or maybe I was having so much fun re-reading the debate about what to call this one-of-a-kind hybrid design I missed it.
There is nothing we leave at home because we have a Escape 5.0. We currently are carrying two Tern folded bicycles behind the drivers seat and our trike is in the back bed. If we wanted to carry more I'd just put the trike rack on the back of the 5.0 and use that space for more needless s#i+.

OTOH, Jon, who makes a 13' fifth wheel? You probably do need all the space in your truck bed, and that works for you!

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #73

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
2019 Colorado crew cab with short (60") bed and 2001 19' Scamp. Loss of bed space is not a problem for us either. This is an old photo which doesn't show the Hi-Lift jack, five gallon Scepter water container or 15'x8' rug which also travel in the bed. The two RubberMaid Action Packers in the garage fit to the right of the propane / hibachi crate. Even if I had more space, I couldn't use it as I'm bumping the 6100# GVWR as is.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6974.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	139860
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:12 PM   #74

Florida
Registry
Quote:

I’m curious, Jon. What things do you take along when on the road that you think I do not have storage/transport space for due to having a hitch in the bed of my truck?
Old 03-15-2021, 03:54 PM   #75

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I am thinking of things like mountain bikes, kayaks and canoes, perhaps a small ATV or dirt bike. I am also thinking of generators, gas cans, canopies, chairs, grills... things that some might prefer to store inside a locking pickup cap for security and weather protection. And yes, I realize there are work-arounds for some of those things.

For us it's about having the back seats and inside storage of an SUV body style for people, pets, electronics, backpacks, a cooler for day outings...

I simply pointed it out as a drawback to be considered and weighed against the advantages of a fifth wheel style trailer, which include space and privacy along with excellent towing dynamics... well, except for the extra frontal area created by the loft...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:12 PM   #76

Florida
Registry
Quote:
I am thinking of things like mountain bikes, kayaks and canoes, perhaps a small ATV or dirt bike. I am also thinking of generators, gas cans, canopies, chairs, grills... things that some might prefer to store inside a locking pickup cap for security and weather protection. And yes, I realize there are work-arounds for some of those things.

For us it's about having the back seats and inside storage of an SUV body style for people, pets, electronics, backpacks, a cooler for day outings...
I have a 5th Wheel hitch in the bed and in front of it I have a cross-box (saddle) tool box containing all my water, electrical, and propane parts and accessories, as well as a campfire in a can. Outside of the tool box I have 2 camp chairs, a Clam Traveler shelter, an Xtend & Climb 10-foot ladder (slips under the toolbox) when I remove the top piece of the hitch which is locked in place, a milk crate with a 20 lbs propane cylinder, and a cooler. No pets or offspring so Weber grill is in a tote goes in backseat with toolbag and Viair 12v compressor, and another tote with assorted Ryobi 12v tools which can quickly be moved inside the trailer if necessary. The grill can be strapped to a fold down cargo carrier. I’m trying to figure out how much of a downside having a 5th wheel is and I cannot see a any downside.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:48 PM   #77

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Ever notice those who have a 5th wheel don't notice the downside, but those who don't can always find that one exception that the rest have figured out.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:20 AM   #78

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Ever notice those who have a 5th wheel don't notice the downside, but those who don't can always find that one exception that the rest have figured out.

Enjoy,

Perry

Give it a break.
I don't want to drive or park a truck.
That's enough for me.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #79

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

Enjoy,

Perry
This is why the forum exists, right? Ask questions to clarify concerns? Most 5th wheels are large and have plenty of onboard storage. The Scamp and even the Escape have minimal storage, particularly for people that like to take along items that are of interest to them, and may not be of interest to you.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #80

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Give it a break.
I don't want to drive or park a truck.
That's enough for me.
Hi: Glenn Baglo... I could be wrong but I thought Toy. classifies a Highlander as a "Truck".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp