Drain Everything - Or Just Fresh and Black? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2014, 06:21 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Drain Everything - Or Just Fresh and Black?

When you are leaving on a trip or getting ready to return from one, do you drain just fresh water and gray/black water, or do you drain the pipes and hot water tank too?

ETA: I realized after I posted that this was one of my dumber questions.

Thanks for not embarrassing me!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
When you are leaving on a trip or getting ready to return from one, do you drain just fresh water and gray/black water, or do you drain the pipes and hot water tank too?
It depends on how you use your trailer and how you load it.
Weather permitting, we carry about 1/2 tank of fresh water and full hot water tank for use while traveling. we start with a charged empty black water and an empty gray water tank.
Keep in mind when loading the trailer that fresh and hot water tank content can affect tongue weight.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Keep in mind that water = weight so it can result in a heavier trailer if that is a concern for your tug or if you are concerned about mpg's.

Something I learned the hard way - as always!! is that not all water is equal in quality. Depending on where you last filled the tanks it may not be a good idea to leave water sitting in tanks for any length of time in really warm weather if the water has a high sulphur content. Of course you may not know if it does or it doesnt until after it has sat in an enclosed tank in hot weather for a time. When you next go to use the trailer and turn on the tap you will as I did find it stinks! Have had to flush out the whole system to get rid of the smell more than once. I now make it a habit of draining the tanks before parking the trailer for more than a few days.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
If I'm on a long trip; it's nice to clean and dump everything. If I'm on a short weekend trip I will wait until I get home. But; I have a dump station at my home that goes directly into the sewer. I usually leave some water in the fresh holding tank in case a bathroom break is needed on the way home. However, If I didn't have my dump at home I would dump and clean gray and black tank before I leave. That makes me wonder if someone doesn't have the dump at home and their staying where there isn't a dumping station. What do people do in that case????? Also, the only stupid question, is the one you don't ask!
P.S. After I get home I dump and drain all lines and tanks period for reasons that Carol mentioned.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #5

Registry
I have a portable tote that I can drain off to and dump it just as someone who has a cassette toilet or porta potty would at a gas station bathroom if need be or most state parks will allow you just stop and use their dump faculties for a small fee even if you do not camp there.

There are also websites that will show you where the nearest dump station is at highway rest stops etc.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita
Texas
"Dumb" question

Quote:

As I told my students while teaching classes, "The only dumb question is the one not asked!"
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #7

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
As I told my students while teaching classes, "The only dumb question is the one not asked!"
No, this was really dumb. For some reason I was thinking I had to pull the water heater anode to drain the hot water tank when all I had to do was to let the hot water run until the tank was empty.

The question didn't seem dumb because you didn't know the weird logic behind it.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #8

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I never travel with a partially full tank. I have first hand knowledge, on a much larger scale, as we had a 8000 gallon tank for filling weed sprayers and wetting down dusty roads. Without baffles a half full tank would shove a semi around pretty well. I realize I am talking about a much larger volume, but we also talk about the same water when discussing traveling weight.

So depending on where I'm heading I like to be prepared with water for potty breaks or run empty.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
No, this was really dumb. For some reason I was thinking I had to pull the water heater anode to drain the hot water tank when all I had to do was to let the hot water run until the tank was empty.

The question didn't seem dumb because you didn't know the weird logic behind it.
Actually you are better to pull the anode and buy yourself a hot water tank rinser wand that fits on the end of a hose for flushing the tank out completely. If yours is like mine it does not actually drain out completely and as a result holds onto all the sediment etc in the bottom of the tank resulting some pretty ucky hot water over time.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #10

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I travel with a full water and hot water tank and usually a 7 (or is it 9) gallon blue jug... might add a 2nd for 4 or more days cause I like taking a shower before bed and don't use paper plates...so dishwashing is being done. I know my parents well water tastes good and is safe to drink. Weight isn't an issue.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Dumb Question

I still say no question is dumb because that is the best way to learn about something we either don't know about or do not understand. LOL

Quote:

J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
I still say no question is dumb because that is the best way to learn about something we either don't know about or do not understand. LOL
yup Way better to ask no matter how silly you feel asking a question rather than going down the "I did" something silly road and then having to ask how to fix it....
Old 04-20-2014, 10:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

The hot water heater on every trailer I have seen works from input water pressure which pushes the water to the sink and shower by displacing the water in the tank. No input, no flow...
When the fresh water tank runs empty or you disconnect the shore water, then there is no input water pressure...Then the full hot water tank can't provide any pressure to the sink or shower.
It just sits there full, waiting for you to pull the drain plug.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #14

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I fill up before I leave. I have twin 20 gallon tanks, so I don't have to fill with unknown water at the destination.

I don't use the black water, and I dump the gray in my flower beds when I get home.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote