Driveway Friends - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #1

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Driveway Friends

Hi Folks,

A couple of us over at Atlantic Eggers [A.K.A. The Atlantic Fiberglass Trailer Owners Group]

are trying out a concept we are calling DRIVEWAY FRIENDS. The idea is to let fellow Eggers who are traveling across the US and Canada, spend a night in our driveways free of charge. While this is just in the very beginning stages (as of August 1, 2011) we do have some preliminary information in the document listed here:

This is an experiment that was suggested by Jaye Lowe (Norridgewock, Maine) and which we are going to try on Atlantic Eggers for a while to see how it's accepted and how it works. The basic premise is to provide a listing (Jaye suggested a map but that's technologically much more difficult) of people (let's call them "Hosts") who are offerring to let other "egg" owners (Guests) use the Host's driveway as a one-night "park" as they travel through the Host's geographical area. Basically, Eggers helping Eggers - looks like a good idea.

OK - so how does it work? - Good question. At this point we're working out the logistics and will update this Document as the process develops and when it's a little clearer. For now, however, it will be the responsibility of the two parties (Hosts and Guests) involved to work out specific arrangements and conditions between themselves. Atlantic Eggers will update this document as needed to show two types of "listing" - The first type being a notification by a potential Host that they're willing to have someone in their driveway for a night as well as what "facilities" are available (such as an extension cord plug in).
The second type of listing would be a Guest listing where travelers advise of their planned route and timetable to see if they get responses from any Host that could provide the driveway for the night. ** Notice: We have not gotten to this stage yet in setting up how we are going to do things!

If you're a potential Host or Guest let us here at Atlantic Eggers know and we'll publish your status on our listing.

All Atlantic Eggers wants from this is to be kept in the loop as to contacts and actual driveway uses so that we can determine if running the contact service is worth the effort or not.

OK - so let's get started: We already have two potential Host listings.

Naturally the first would be from she who thought up the idea - Jaye Lowe. Jaye has volunteered her driveway in Norridgewock Maine and she can be contacted using Facebook Messaging to
http://www.facebook.com/jayeded . Here's some info provided by Jaye on August 1/11 ~ "My place in Norridgewock, Maine open to Atlantic Eggers Driveway Friends for overnight stays. I am in town, walking distance to a small store and Chinese Restaurant- that's about all that's here! I'll toss you a hose and extension cord, and let you use my wi-fi, all I ask is that you sign my guest book and leave my driveway as you found it. My driveway in not on the river side of the house where my Scamp is parked, but you are welcome to use the river for kayaking, I may even join you! Be advised I do have a large (very large) dog on site and will insist your pets kept inside your egg except for walking!"

If you you care to join the group, please do so and if you would like to be a host, start by posting your information on the Driveway Friends document and then do the following:

From the site, go to the right side bar and click on view photos. If you see a picture of your state or province you may then click on add photos and post a picture of your driveway or amenities and also a caption of what you are offering as a host.

If you DO NOT see your state or province, then click on Create An Album - title it Driveway Friends and list your state or province as the location. It is important to upload a picture of your state or province FIRST for the cover photo so we can keep it simple and consistent. Then add your own personal picture and make sure you include some details in the caption section. It's easier than it sounds!

Our intent with this endeavor is just to have fun and make some new friends and especially to see each others eggs! Please do not list your address or directions to your driveway in your photo caption or on the document page. If a potential guest is interested in staying in your driveway it will be up to them to contact you by messenger and for you to decide if it is feasible to loan out your driveway. Hosts are under no obligation to be available and guests are not allowed to just drop in on a hosts driveway!

We also of course have to say that no one involved with the operation of Atlantic Eggers [A.K.A. The Atlantic Fiberglass Trailer Owners Group] are responsible or liable for any occurrences to those participating in Driveway Friends.

We hope to get hosts from all over North America! Please consider becoming a Driveway Friend!

~Jaye

Moderator, if you feel this is better suited in a different forum, by all means move it on over
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Driveway Camping

Jaye,

This is an interesting concept. I simply need to clear my yard of the three rigs we have.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
The concept is very intriguing, but judging from the lack of response to the top sticky in this site's "Camping Forum - Campout Reports," there doesn't seem to be very many people actually willing or able to be hosts.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jaye,

It turns out that our rigs are ideal for this kind of suggestion; they are as small and non intrusive as it gets for an RV.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
The concept is very intriguing, but judging from the lack of response to the top sticky in this site's "Camping Forum - Campout Reports," there doesn't seem to be very many people actually willing or able to be hosts.

I was not familiar with that post when this idea was conceived. Can't argue about the lack of interest though, unfortunately.

~Jaye
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #6

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
It was by Fredrick "Hosting Travelers at Your Home." I think it's a great idea.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You might want to check over at the airstreams forum 'airforums.com'. Airstreamers have been doing this for a long time and might have information on setting this up.

BobC
bobcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yes, Airstreamers have been doing this, I always thought it was nice.

Some have said the system is cumbersome,
1. Key in each town listed under the state from the listing in the WBCCI Membership directory into a Street Atlas. This allowed you to get a "flag" showing the approximate location of the courtesy hosts.
2. With a tentative route in mind, zoom in on the courtesy parking host(s) that do not appear to be too great of a detour from our preferred endpoint of the day. Consider this the tentative subset.
3. Key in detailed address information from the Membership directory for each tentative courtesy parking host into Google Maps and then use a satellite map to ferret out those that appear to be less "appealing" from a location point of view. CAUTION: the address listed under courtesy parking is likely the member's primary mailing address for the Blue Beret, not necessarily where the courtesy parking location is.. be sure to ask the hosts about this.
4. Sort the list of remaining hosts by preference and start calling them using the phone number listed in the directory. When I'd get a positive confirmation, nail it right there.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #9

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
this is not a new concept here at fgrv....i have hosted 3 members and am listed in the posting we have ongoing of those willing to host others. each time was a TON of fun and i'd do it again in a heartbeat!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote