Driving Time Hudson NY to Border Crossing Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Driving Time Hudson NY to Border Crossing Canada

This is not a problem solvable by GoogleMaps. I don't care about the distance, I care about population densities and passing thru small towns with lowered speed limits.
Can anyone tell me the driving time between Hudson NY and the easternmost border crossing into NB, Canada, driving without utilizing thruways in NY (Illegal to pull trailers on thruways in NY)

Google fixes your "estimated time" at an average speed of 60 mph, which is not realistic I don't feel, with so much of the New England area densely populated. But I have no way of figuring out just HOW long it will take.

Revised planning has us entering New Brunswick via car, thence to Cape Breton Island, to N Sydney, to Newfoundland. Nova Scotia to Yarmouth to ferry to Portland Maine. I'm doing okay figuring the time element within Canada itself.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:58 AM   #2

Name: A&B
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
(Illegal to pull trailers on thruways in NY)
Not sure this is correct. Anytime I'm headed for the east coast I use the NYS Thruway Buffalo to Albany.
AandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Illegal on the Taconic State Parkway. You're fine on the New York State Thruway.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
You might try Mapquest, or RandMcNally. One of them lets you choose to avoid highways. In any case, if you know the distance, assume 40 mph avg. to allow for towns and stops.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
You might try Mapquest, or RandMcNally. One of them lets you choose to avoid highways. In any case, if you know the distance, assume 40 mph avg. to allow for towns and stops.
I went to Mapquest, entered Hudson, NY to Fredercton, NB, avoid toll roads, avoid highways (interstates) it came up with 536 miles and 13 hr, 38 min which averages out to 40 mph.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Not sure if this helps; but, when we travel from Buffalo, NY to St. Stephen, NB (closest border crossing into New Brunswick ?) we plan on 3 nights of camping; 4 days of travel; also avoiding major US interstates and freeways. Looking at my trusty 'Map-Art' routing atlas, to find 'Hudson, NY' - I'd estimate at least two nights of camping and three days of travel, if 'we' were to follow a route from Hudson, NY to St. Stephen, NB. But that might not allow 'us' sufficient opportunity to properly enjoy the many opportunities to sample lobster and oyster meals as we pass through Maine .
Old 03-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #7

Name: Marv
Trailer: Escape
New York
Travel trailers on the NYS Thruway

Boy, I saw a lot of travel trailers on the NYS Thruway when I used to commute to work daily. I traveled the Thruway when I brought my trailer home last year, no problem.

There are additional charges depending on the number of axels. And I know there are restrictions for certain types of vehicles on some of the parkways. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from using the Thruway if that is your choice. I believe its one of the best kept road systems in the country.

Marv
Stkshftr Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Camping and Geocaching

Mitzi - Further to our previous post - I checked the route from Hudson, NY to St. Stephen, NB to find there are 755 Km. (about 450 miles) and well over 500 geocaches hidden within 1 mile of that same route. Please adjust our previous estimates to at least a full week of camping, 'AND, GEOCACHING', if 'WE' were to take that same route. But, perhaps you haven't considered 'Geocaching' while travelling, yet ? If not, our previous 'travel estimates' are still reasonable .
Old 03-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #9

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Google fixes your "estimated time" at an average speed of 60 mph, which is not realistic I don't feel, with so much of the New England area densely populated. But I have no way of figuring out just HOW long it will take.
You can choose to "avoid highways" with google which will re-route to avoid the primaries. Google also factors in posted speed limits, and current traffic condition. It does not factor in a 60mph average.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
This is not a problem solvable by GoogleMaps. I don't care about the distance, I care about population densities and passing thru small towns with lowered speed limits.
Can anyone tell me the driving time between Hudson NY and the easternmost border crossing into NB, Canada, driving without utilizing thruways in NY (Illegal to pull trailers on thruways in NY)

Revised planning has us entering New Brunswick via car, thence to Cape Breton Island, to N Sydney, to Newfoundland. Nova Scotia to Yarmouth to ferry to Portland Maine. I'm doing okay figuring the time element within Canada itself.

Any help would be appreciated.
A couple of thoughts. Figure time and a half for travel time when towing. If the estimated time is given as 10 hours, figure 15. That has always worked for us...
The second thought is you had better check the prices of the Yarmouth ferry...you may have to sell your trailer to pay for it! lol

Mike in NS
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:20 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have travelled with our current trailer in tow well over 20,000 miles.
When traveling on State and County roads (Not freeways or interstates ) we have averaged slightly over 40 MPH.
We try to drive no more than 6 hours a day , leaving in the morning after breakfast and quit driving between 3:00 to 4:00 PM in the afternoon . Assuming 540 miles , it would take us about 3 days to complete the trip , 4 if we stop to sightsee along the way.
We are retired so time is not much of a determining factor. We are not fixated on getting to or from our destination in any set time frame.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #12

Florida
Thank you all. The information about thruways was secondhand, I am so glad it was not correct.
I know the ferry is pretty darn expensive, I was just thinking we made need a break from driving. DH has to be back at work at the end of June, which is why I'm trying to fit in so much.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If you have EZ Pass, and are towing a trailer, the NY Thruway requires that you enter and exit at a manned toll booth, stop, and the attendant adjusts for the number of axles on the trailer. The Mass Pike no longer has toll booths, they have randomly spaced overhead devices to read EZ Pass, or if you don't have one it reads your license plate and they send you a bill (at a higher rate than EZ Pass). Raz is correct that trailers are not allowed on parkways, including the Taconic which is within sight of our house.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #14

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Quote:
Get on 90 at route 9, 382 miles 5.5 hours, get off in Bangor, 103 miles 2 hours to border crossing Calais ME.

Google doesn't average to 60mph, I've used it everytime I've traveled and I am constantly amazed at how accurate it is for my arrival time, especially for trips over 400 miles. It uses real-time data and traffic to estimate travel time. So depending upon YOUR travel plans it will fluctuate, the 382 miles should easily be a travel speed of 70mph, small towns or not, rush hour is a different story.

To test pick a fixed distance, turn traffic on so you can see the red and green lines and then plot the same distance across both colors and you will get drastically different results.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Get on 90 at route 9, 382 miles 5.5 hours, get off in Bangor, 103 miles 2 hours to border crossing Calais ME.

Google doesn't average to 60mph, I've used it everytime I've traveled and I am constantly amazed at how accurate it is for my arrival time, especially for trips over 400 miles. It uses real-time data and traffic to estimate travel time. So depending upon YOUR travel plans it will fluctuate, the 382 miles should easily be a travel speed of 70mph, small towns or not, rush hour is a different story.

To test pick a fixed distance, turn traffic on so you can see the red and green lines and then plot the same distance across both colors and you will get drastically different results.
In over 100,000 miles and 6 years of traveling , we have never come close to the estimated travel times whether it be Google or numerous different GPS's. If we are driving on an interstate with a posted speed limit of 80 MPH , Google or Garmin or Magellan assume we are traveling at 80 MPH. We tow at 62 to 64 MPH max. I take the electronically calculated time and multiply by 1.3 and still end up getting to my destination later than estimated.
We have never averaged 70 MPH when towing or NOT towing.
When travelling the interstates towing our trailer we average between 50 to sometimes 55 MPH which includes stopping for lunch , bathroom breaks , refueling and letting the dog out.
I have no issues with those who wish to tow at 70 to 80 MPH but we have no intention of traveling at what I consider an unsafe speed. The sites along the way are just as important as the destination IMHO.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #16

New Hampshire
I'll agree that my numbers do not take into account driving below the "normal speed" by choice, being in the Northeast 70 is the highest posted speed and I don't usually have trouble safely traveling with traffic speed.

Rest stops and everything else is predictable on your own level, I myself stop about every 250 miles for about 15 min. So slower or stopping would be self calculations to include.

The original poster expressed that they were under a slight time crunch and trying to max out their time on site at their selected destinations, therefore I wasn't working with the "sites along the way are just as important" mentality, sometimes they are sometimes they aren't.

My only point was that from point A to point B, the quaintness of New England should in no way slow them down so as to impede calculating their timeframes. Again, rush hour has nothing to do with quaintness do plan around those timeframe.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #17

Florida
Thank you all. We're not geocachers, and we usually take 1.5 to 2 times as long to get anyplace we have googled directions.
in the 1950s, back when I was my father's navigator, he always said an average speed for calculating distance was 50 mph. He also said that was the speed best able to maximize mpg. When I am solo and/or DH completely retires, I intend to introduce him to the relaxed, journey is more than the destination style of camping. Don't know how well he'll be able to tolerate that. Nonetheless I shall try...
Edited to add I'll probably have to add in another night maybe in SW Maine
Old 03-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #18

New Hampshire
If you're only looking for 4 or 5 hours of sleep and not to camp, either the rest area at MM25 in Maine or the only one in New Hampshire should be fine. There is also a Travel America truck stop, in the same area in NH that would work.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #19

Florida
Thank you Randy. Yeah, basically someplace to sleep is all we need. Now I need to find my 2016 Next Exit book.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #20

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Mitzi,

If you need to stay overnight in Calais Maine the Walmart is nice. We went to NB last year. We normally avoid Walmart but this one is exceptional. Several other campers were in the lot. It was as quite as a campground.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin