DuckDuckGo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
DuckDuckGo

No, that's not the new Chinese Ambassador to Canada but rather a search engine. Today is the day that Google is changing it's privacy policy. There has been a little note at the top of each Google search page telling everyone about the changes. I started to read the headache inducing legal mumbo jumbo and quickly gave up. Maggie was more persistent. Apparently they plan to track you even more than before. (Ever notice after searching for avocado dip that all the ads have something to do with avocados?) Well, Maggie decided to try something else so today she is using a new search engine called DuckDuckGo which claims not to track it's users. Seems to work well. Raz

DuckDuckGo
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

Name: Anne
Trailer: '74 Boler
Alberta
I didn't even bother looking at the fine print - I knew my eyes would glaze over immediately!

I found this little tidbit of info/directions on how to turn this new 'feature' of googles off. Useful for those of us ingrained into google/gmail/google+.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57382925-285/how-to-remove-your-google-web-history/
aumpleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
As long as you are not signed in as a user of any Google services while you use Google search they are not tracking you.

There is a subtle but important distinction here.
They are compiling more info than before about their subscribers while they are signed in to Google than before.

There are 100's search engines out there and if you use them while signed in to Google they will still be tracking it.
I like Dogpile myself,mainly because I just like saying and typing it!

So if you don't use Gmail or Google Docs or any other Google service WHILE LOGGED IN then you are not being watched.
They own You Tube now as an example. If you are using it without being Signed In to your You Tube account all is OK. Once you do Sign In then the trouble can start.

Exactly what the trouble is is yet to be known of course?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
There are also other search engines around as well. Yahoo has one. The MSN one is called (I believe) Bing.

T'other thing is - if you still want to "gargle" something, they track if U R logged into any form of Gargoyle account such as G-Mail. If you are not into G+, facebook, youtube, G-string - oops , er, ahem, that is to say I meant to say G-mail, then there is nothing for them to track. Just doing a googly search if U R not logged into some form of goggles, well - you're still safe from having your ads targeted.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
I like Dogpile, too, Ed ... for the same reason

When I "discovered" DuckDuckGo this morning, I was really pleased. It is so clean, so non-ad, so friendly ... so much like Google was when it first appeared.

I did several searches, compared the results to Google's, and found that DDG's actually gave more dead-on results. And their search results page keeps adding as the user scrolls down. Nice!

Anyways ... I'm tickled with the new find. And I like it's story.

Mags
Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
I have been using :

https://ixquick.com/

as my search engine. It clears all search information daily.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
Ooooooo! Nice one, HerseyBA! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerseyBA View Post
I have been using :

Old 03-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
As long as you are not signed in as a user of any Google services while you use Google search they are not tracking you.

They are compiling more info than before about their subscribers while they are signed in to Google than before.

There are 100's search engines out there and if you use them while signed in to Google they will still be tracking it.

So if you don't use Gmail or Google Docs or any other Google service WHILE LOGGED IN then you are not being watched.
They own You Tube now as an example. If you are using it without being Signed In to your You Tube account all is OK. Once you do Sign In then the trouble can start.

I wonder. I don't have any google account (other than Youtube, but I have it deactivated now because I don't like it). But I've noticed ads change to what I've been shopping for. So somebody sure is tracking my searches somehow.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I wonder. I don't have any google account (other than Youtube, but I have it deactivated now because I don't like it). But I've noticed ads change to what I've been shopping for. So somebody sure is tracking my searches somehow.
They have always tracked usage with Cookies to target the advertising to the surfer.

Google is just taking this a step or 10 further by using your info which they do have if you are signed in AND then passing it on to advertisers for thier own targeted marketing not even related to your current online session!
Starts to sound creepy doesn't it?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Maybe you'll find this information of value: Google Launches New Privacy Standards: 5 Ways to Control Your Online Exposure - Yahoo! News
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerseyBA View Post
I have been using :

Great thread and timely topic!

Yes, Nice one Hersey.

I also found their sister site. https://startpage.com/uk/

"Startpage offers you Web search results from Google in complete privacy!
When you search with Startpage, we remove all identifying information from your query and submit it anonymously to Google ourselves. We get the results and return them to you in total privacy.
Your IP address is never recorded, your visit is not logged, and no tracking cookies are placed on your browser. When it comes to protecting your privacy, Startpage runs the tightest ship on the Internet. Our outstanding privacy policy and thoughtful engineering give you great search results in total anonymity. Here are some of our key features:
  • Free proxy surfing available.
  • Praised by privacy experts worldwide.
  • Twelve-year company track record.
  • Third-party certified.
  • No IP address recorded.
  • No record is made of your searches.
  • No identifying or tracking cookies used.
  • Powerful SSL encryption available.
To learn more, check out our privacy page and read our privacy policy. We're confident you'll like what you see."
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thanks Donna. I heard an interview with a Google rep on the radio today explaining how this could be done. Following your link made it easy to take care of right away rather than wait till I get a 'round-to-it' !!!!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Any ads they sell because of information they gleaned from me is a waste of money on the part of the advertisers. I never read them.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Any ads they sell because of information they gleaned from me is a waste of money on the part of the advertisers. I never read them.

CindyL
Amen to that!

In fact I make it a point to avoid them and the product they are hawking.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
CHUTZPAH

DuckDuckGo Challenges Google on Privacy (With a Billboard) | Epicenter | Wired.com
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #16

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post

Ed, I have no google accounts, but I just removed a google web beacon from my cookies file.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #17

Trailer: Aliner
Bing also allows you to clear all of your search history and turn the feature off so you won't be tracked in the future. There's a link on the left when you do a search.

You can see the links on the left on this page.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote