Egg camper status - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2017, 04:18 AM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: On the market
Florida
Egg camper status

I've been giving this a lot of thought, if a casita was all electric like an an Egg Camper, or little Snoozy, it's a deal, if a little Snoozy had more amenities like a casita it would be a deal, if egg camper would get back into production, that would be a very big deal!
Any likelihood?[emoji856]
saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:36 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Probably not SD, but you need to go to a rally to see different makes, on paper they all look good. It all depends on how you're going to camp.....hookups or boondocking or a combination of both. Having LP and not needing or using it is a + in the big picture for an example. I only boondock so an all electric really doesn't work for me.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:38 AM   #3

Florida
[emoji37][emoji27]
Old 07-29-2017, 06:13 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
All 120V electric = eliminate half the camping available out there, if not more. And even at places that have some electric, those sites fill up fast, while non-electric sites are available. Example: Zion National Park: electric sites are booked 6 months in advance. Primitive sites are available for drive up (that day, depending what is available). Sure those first come first go sites fill up fast, but at least they are available. Several of my favorite National Park campgrounds have no hookups and rules forbidding generators or limiting their operation.

On the Casita, everything that is propane (other than cooktop and furnace) can also run on electric. So if you want to go all electric, just do it. A small electric box heater can substitute for the furnace no problem.

Propane really just means more options for powering key systems on a trailer: refrigerator, furnace, stove, and hot water. I prefer more flexibility not less.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just because you have it, doesn't mean you ever have to use it.

Never turn the propane bottle(s) on, or take them off and use them on your BBQ!

An electric cube heater, induction cooktop and a hotwater heater that runs on electric (as well as propane) and you can essentially turn any all-molded-towable into an electric "only" trailer.

I can think of 1,000 reasons to buy one brand of all-molded-towable over another... but not having propane wouldn't even be one of those reasons.

I wish you well
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #6

Florida
Thanks y'all! You do have a point.
I think I'll take a closer look at those Casitas. I used to think that Casita and scamp were identical, but I'm finding out that's not true.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog View Post
Thanks y'all! You do have a point.
I think I'll take a closer look at those Casitas. I used to think that Casita and scamp were identical, but I'm finding out that's not true.
We have owned a Scamp and a Casita and No they are not Identical. Both Scamp and Casita have their own strengths and weaknesses.
As far a an all electric trailer , it is too limiting for us. This week we are camping with hookups and next week we we will be camping without. Propane allows us to run our refrigerator , heat water , run the furnace and cook without hookups . A definite advantage in our book.
Why so many have such an unfounded fear of propane still amazes me.

We looked at buying an Egg camper but with it being all electric and the fact that they offer few amenities we soon abandoned that idea.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:27 AM   #8

Florida
"We have owned a Scamp and a Casita and No they are not Identical. Both Scamp and Casita have their own strengths and weaknesses. "

Can you please tell me what they are? What turned me against the scamp, what is those rivets holding the thing together, and a wood floor. What didn't you like about Casita?
Old 07-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #9

Both Scamp and Casita use rivets to hold fiberglass cabinetry to the shell. The Scamp Deluxe uses screws with the same snap caps as the standard models.

Both Scamp and Casita have wood floors. Casita is fully tubbed, meaning it has a fiberglass bottom. Whether that's good or bad... is debatable. Search, you'll find plenty of threads where folks need to replace the wood floor in Casitas. Remember rot happens from top down leaks. NOT bottom up.

Without proper maintenance, ALL trailers will leak. Roof vents, side vents, windows... all require care.

I choose both of my trailers based on budget, tug capabilities and (most important to me) layout. If you're not comfortable IN the trailer, it won't matter what the brand and how it's built.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Egg camper status

I'm curious, Saltydog... what amenities does a Lil Snoozy lack that a Casita has (other than those that run on propane, of course)? A conventional RV toilet with black tank is all I can think of.

In the end, there is no perfect trailer. Check 'em all out, pick what comes closest, then do what you need to make it perfect... for you.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:06 AM   #11

Florida
Thanks, Donna. Here's my rationale for going all electric:
I've had many RV in the past, from a 27 foot award fifth wheel to a 36 foot triumph triple slide, and a couple of new horizons in between. I'm going on 69, and this is going to be my last hurrah. Whatever I get is going to have to make it for the next 15 years with me and I didn't want to be dependent on propane, I don't know what the world is going to be like, then but it may not be readily available by then. Sunlight will always be here.
I guess the pragmatic thing to do, is just to go with the propane for his long as it's available, and be prepared to go without it if the time comes.
In any case, I think I would still prefer to use that truck fridge that Snoozy has available which is 12 V and 110, so we will at least go out the battery. I think it's a lot bigger than the standard fridge in a Casita , and will not fit in the space, though.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #12

Florida
That's an easy one! Number one, no closet, number two, no stove, no oven. Those little hot plates you can get are Mickey Mouse.
The best thing I like about the Snoozie , is the therford toilet, and the truck fridge. Which could also get in a larger size in a larger camper.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Those little hot plates you can get are Mickey Mouse.
The new induction cook tops are not "little hot plates" that you may remember from the 1950s. I have two... NuWave. One for the house and one for the trailer. Induction cooking has moved to home stoves as well.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Egg camper status

A range/oven requires propane. All-electric trailers typically have a microwave, toaster oven and/or induction burner for cooking- all easy to add after purchase. While it lacks a closet, the Snoozy appears to have more storage overall than the Casita, thanks to the bank of cabinets along the curbside wall and the large compartment under the bed.

I'm not trying to sell you either way. Take a look at both in person and I suspect you'll form a preference one way or the other.

Best wishes trailer hunting! Enjoy the chase.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I can appreciate the simplicity of all electric.

Propane is a primary fuel in rural America. I think a disruption of the power grid is more likely than propane disappearing. Read One Second After. I am not saying it is likely, only more likely. While it can cost a lot to add propane, it doesn't add much when it is standard equipment. Many view their eggs as Plan B, in the event of a natural disaster.

Anyone on a budget knows how boondocking or Wal Mart camping opens up options, and provides a means to quickly cut costs.

Finally I would mention resale value. Enjoy.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We bought our Casita new in 2013 . Since then we have been to the Southern US twice , made an 8000 mile trip to the West Coast , a 5000 mile trip to Canada and numerous trips through the Midwest
Is our Casita perfect ? NO but it has never held us back from traveling anywhere we wanted to go.
Will a Casita or Scamp work for you , I don't know and I wouldn't venture to guess.
If you plan on waiting until you find the PERFECT trailer , you will be waiting forever. At some point every trailer is a compromise between what you want or are willing to accept and sitting at home.
We are sitting in our campsite with 4 of our perfect grandkids camping with our less than perfect Casita.
All is GOOD.

You can make any FG trailer work if you want to and try hard enough .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #17

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Propane is a primary fuel in rural America. I think a disruption of the power grid is more likely than propane disappearing. Read One Second After. I am not saying it is likely, only more likely. While it can cost a lot to add propane, it doesn't add much when it is standard equipment. Many view their eggs as Plan B, in the event of a natural disaster.

Anyone on a budget knows how boondocking or Wal Mart camping opens up options, and provides a means to quickly cut costs.

Finally I would mention resale value. Enjoy.

I would think a power grid disruption would affect propane also. After the storage tanks are empty. They have to be refilled. Electricity will be involved at some point, pumps, valves etc. Our civilization is at the point where survival after a nationwide disaster will require people helping people. The so called preppers will have to share with the rest. I agree the novel " One Second After" makes for thoughtful reading. The best prep for something like that would be learning gardening or farming.

Enjoy today and depend on the good Lord for tomorrow. It is a surety we will not be here much longer even if everything goes great..
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, Donna. Here's my rationale for going all electric:
I've had many RV in the past, from a 27 foot award fifth wheel to a 36 foot triumph triple slide, and a couple of new horizons in between. I'm going on 69, and this is going to be my last hurrah. Whatever I get is going to have to make it for the next 15 years with me and I didn't want to be dependent on propane, I don't know what the world is going to be like, then but it may not be readily available by then. Sunlight will always be here.
I guess the pragmatic thing to do, is just to go with the propane for his long as it's available, and be prepared to go without it if the time comes.
In any case, I think I would still prefer to use that truck fridge that Snoozy has available which is 12 V and 110, so we will at least go out the battery. I think it's a lot bigger than the standard fridge in a Casita , and will not fit in the space, though.
We are already dependent on gasoline (or diesel) to fuel our tow vehicles. Natural gas is taking over the electricity generation business, so we all are dependent on natural gas too. Propane will be here for a long time.

In my Escape, I am not "dependent" on propane, its just another source of power. Whenever I have electric hookup, I use it instead for almost everything. Its when I don't have a hook up, propane earns its keep!

As far as the differences between Scamp and Casita, that surely has been discussed hundreds of times before. Some people like Scamp, some like Casita, some like Escape, and so it goes. Each one is different, they are not that similar to each other. So people pick the one where the amenities, price, and floorplan suit them the best.

The great news on molded trailers is you are not stuck living with a bad choice. As long as you buy right, you should be able to sell any "mistake" and lose very little. I wish this was true with tow vehicles!!

We had a Casita for a couple of years. Nice trailer, but in the end, not what we wanted. So we moved on to the Escape.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:48 PM   #19

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
An Eggcamper with an added generator fills all our needs.
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote