Egg Construction - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Starcraft
Vermont
Egg Construction

Does anyone know if any of the egg manufacturers vacuum-bag their fiberglass layups to save weight?
kpinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinvt View Post
Does anyone know if any of the egg manufacturers vacuum-bag their fiberglass layups to save weight?
Hi: kpinvt... Not sure about that system but I do know that Escape Trailer Ind. puts theirs on a rotisserie.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
LiL Snoozy uses that method, it is not just conventional molded fiberglass bagged, but a different process all together using different material between layers. not necessarily lighter though.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
[QUOTE=floyd;620702]LiL Snoozy uses that method, it is not just conventional molded fiberglass bagged, but a different process all together using different material between layers. not necessarily lighter. You're right Floyd. Our 2014 Lil Snoozy weighs 2500 lbs., but it is much more ridged than a comparable in weight Casita, as the Lil Snoozy does not require any internal structures to support the roof and walls (perhaps that is why the isle is wider and interior feels more open). It is a lot like a fiberglass speedboat in strength. I climb onto the roof all the time to clean & wax without any perceivable flexing, and I weigh 215 lbs.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
You're right Floyd. Our 2014 Lil Snoozy weighs 2500 lbs., but it is much more ridged than a comparable in weight Casita, as the Lil Snoozy does not require any internal structures to support the roof and walls (perhaps that is why the isle is wider and interior feels more open). It is a lot like a fiberglass speedboat in strength. I climb onto the roof all the time to clean & wax without any perceivable flexing, and I weigh 215 lbs.
Dave & Paula
You seem to think that it is a superior material/method and you have cited justification for that position.
I personally don't see it as such, and much prefer the conventional method used by virtually everyone else.
The Lil' Snoozy is, however, a fine trailer... far superior to a stickbuilt. (even those which can take standing on the roof.)
I suggest not standing on your roof though, micro cracks in the outer layer can result in spalling, especially when over a void.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinvt View Post
I don't believe it is a layup method at all. You're thinking of layers upon layers of resin-impregnated fiberglass cloth, correct? But most of the egg trailers' bodies come out of a mold; I could be wrong, but I don't think it is a layering process.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:38 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Also check out the Nest Caravan, which was recently bought by Airstream. They probably use the most advanced composite construction. The floor is structural with the axle just being bolted to the floor pan. There is a very good thread on this forum which documents their construction.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #8
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Are we talking about vacuume bagging or vacuume infusing?
This web page contains a nice video explaining vacuume bagging...
Vacuum Bagging Equip and Supplies for Composites | Fibre Glast
And this is a link to one that covers vacuume infusion...
https://youtu.be/vXRfVJ_F9UQ
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Space bags?.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
Raz

Some pictures courtesy of Scamp
Attached Thumbnails
1482507831512.jpg   1482507843862.jpg  

1482507854652.jpg   1482507865363.jpg  

Old 12-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Like most trailers, RV's, and boats, made from fiberglass, welcome to the world of the "chopper gun," as shown in the post above. Only the highest end production companies use vacuum bagging and composites (like the airplane manufacturers) or even use hand laid woven fiberglass matting and hand applied resins, due to the increased expenses and time involved during production. If they do some hand laid applications, they generally are only used in high stress areas that need to be reinforced for added strength.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Sid, the Lil Snoozy is sandwich core vacuum infusion.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:34 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Like most trailers, RV's, and boats, made from fiberglass, welcome to the world of the "chopper gun," as shown in the post above. Only the highest end production companies use vacuum bagging and composites (like the airplane manufacturers) or even use hand laid woven fiberglass matting and hand applied resins, due to the increased expenses and time involved during production. If they do some hand laid applications, they generally are only used in high stress areas that need to be reinforced for added strength.
Hi: Casita Greg... Escape's are hand laid woven fiberglass matt. Reace told me that to use a chopper gun he would need to install air handling systems for employee protection. He's not that into speeding up production.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
In other words, Escapes are "high end" trailers at a mid range price!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:03 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
In other words, Escapes are "high end" trailers at a mid range price!
Hi: Mike Magee... I couldn't have said it better myself!!! Here's a pic of our 5.0TA just out of the mold, in the all together, before the windows, etc, went in.
(Photo courtesy of Escape Trailer Ind.)
Attached Thumbnails
021.jpg  
Old 12-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #16
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Mike Magee... I couldn't have said it better myself!!! Here's a pic of our 5.0TA just out of the mold, in the all together, before the windows, etc, went in.
(Photo courtesy of Escape Trailer Ind.)
Great picture. Is it just the lighting, or can I see the vertical areas for the windows?
Old 12-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Great picture. Is it just the lighting, or can I see the vertical areas for the windows?
Hi: Raz... Reace flattened out the area where the windows are installed rather than try to put them in a curved wall. Now the walls have been straightened to accommodate a flat RV style door/screen and also a power awning. Therefore doing away with awning support legs.
Escapes just keep on getting better!!!
Old 12-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Casita Greg... Escape's are hand laid woven fiberglass matt. Reace told me that to use a chopper gun he would need to install air handling systems for employee protection. He's not that into speeding up production.
Hi Alf,
It seems that Escapes are constructed to a higher standard than most of these little trailers are. I too appreciate hand laid woven fiberglass mat and resin construction. I used to have a Tolleycraft flybridge cabin cruiser, and it was also constructed that way. Again, more expensive to produce than chopper gun stuff, but the difference in strength and quality is, well let's just say there's no comparison in my book.

BTW, that's a nice looking rig, Alf. I also like the dual axles. Hope you have a lot of fun with her.
Greg
Old 12-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Hi Alf,
It seems that Escapes are constructed to a higher standard than most of these little trailers are. I too appreciate hand laid woven fiberglass mat and resin construction. I used to have a Tolleycraft flybridge cabin cruiser, and it was also constructed that way. Again, more expensive to produce than chopper gun stuff, but the difference in strength and quality is, well let's just say there's no comparison in my book.

BTW, that's a nice looking rig, Alf. I also like the dual axles. Hope you have a lot of fun with her.
Greg
Hi: Casita Greg... Thanks!!! We do have a lot of fun with "Escape Hatch II." Here's a pic of it ready to tow!!!
Attached Thumbnails
P1030936.jpg  
Old 12-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #20

Registry
Nice looking rig my friend. Enjoy it!