Egg History- Boler descendants - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-15-2015, 08:20 AM   #161

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by omie99 View Post
My original bill of sale does call it a 69, but my registration papers call it a 68, the sales person might have just written 69 since it was brand new, and being sold in 1969.. all I can really go with is my serial number I found pounded into my frame (038)
OK, so there is a disparity.
I sent a PM to Mark < WildBirder > who posted a few years back that they were tracking the serial numbers of the flat tops. Hopefully they will post their findings.
The great thing about this site is the members. Many take the time to do the research on small details such as this. In posting their findings we all can learn about the history.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #162

Name: Omar
Trailer: 68 Boler #038
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
OK, so there is a disparity.
I sent a PM to Mark < WildBirder > who posted a few years back that they were tracking the serial numbers of the flat tops. Hopefully they will post their findings.
The great thing about this site is the members. Many take the time to do the research on small details such as this. In posting their findings we all can learn about the history.
Yes Roy, you are correct that there is a disparity between a bill of sale from May of 1969, and my registration papers.. This was spring in Alberta, and am pretty sure Bolers weren't flying off the shelves during the winter months. The fact that I have # 038 proves that it was built in 1968 because the first 100 were done that year. I am guessing that mine was done late summer/ early fall depending on how fast they were doing production at the time.. BTW even the bill of sale has the #038 as it's serial number... any how, I am not too worried when exactly mine came off the assembly line, all I know is I have one of the oldest Bolers in existence... Omar
omie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by omie99 View Post
BTW even the bill of sale has the #038 as it's serial number... any how, I am not too worried when exactly mine came off the assembly line, all I know is I have one of the oldest Bolers in existence... Omar
Omar, having one of the oldest bolers around and matching documents is great. You might find this thread interesting: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nal-49029.html

In post # 11 Mark said about his 69 flat top (#183):
The article states one hundred flat tops where made in '68. Then they changed to raised roofs. Doing extensive searches I've found a couple of old ads with the numbers. It looks like the "68's are numbered 0XX and the '69 flat tops are in the 1XX. The interview was quoting Ray Olecko but could be amiss qoute are it was over thirty years ago and know my memory over that period is shady. So still rare maybe just a couple of hundred. I'm going to start keeping a log as I see them.

That kind of information is what this thread is all about. Providing the details needed to substantiate history. Hopefully Mark will post the findings of his log. I'd love to learn how high the 0xx and 1xx went so we have a much better idea of how many flat tops were made.

This conversation reminds me that I need to contact JEAN-L Fiberglass RV - View Profile: JEAN-L
He has been tracking the serial #'s of boler Americans
Old 01-13-2016, 11:59 AM   #164

Name: T&K
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
I am considering submitting my article on Boler history to the Manitoba Historical Society. I have made a few revisions and additions to the article. I am just completing my last round of verifications for accuracy. I have heard from the Jim Pattison Group, Scamp and the Eveland family, Keri Latimer and Ian Giles. I am waiting to hear back from Joe Thoen (Trillium) (I spoke with him yesterday). I have emails out to the Olecko and Dusa families (I have communicated with them previously), awaiting reply. If anyone on this list would like to point out any specific correction(s) that are needed in the article, I would appreciate hearing from you at tom.mc@mymts.net. If you would like to re-post this to other forums dealing with fibreglass trailer history, specifically asking for any corrections or additions, it would be greatly appreciated. Because I am not good at uploading on this site, I will refer you to this version of the article: History of the Boler - Boler-Camping Thanks. Tom McMahon
rova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #165

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Here is one more for the Boler history "1978 "El Macho" by Land and Sea Craft" Vintage fiberglass egg trailer (1978 El Macho) Rare & Lightweight

Someone should get those pictures and save them on this site, not sure how to do it myself...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #166

Thanks Johnny.
I sent the seller an email. He has the original brochures. Hoping to get a copy of those to post. I don't do instagram - hoping someone else can snag the pictures for us.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #167

Deep South
Hopefully so, it looked remarkably similar to a Boler
Old 02-02-2017, 02:10 AM   #168

Deep South
Curious and confused

I have been studying numerous threads here on the forum regarding the history of the Boler, particularly the Boler American of the early 70's. I have also studied photos of numerous Bolers and Boler Americans in comparison to mine.

From what I have learned here (and correct me if I am wrong) is Evelands (Scamp) in Baccus MN started making fiberglass trailers in 1971 (Boler American?) after signing a contract in July 1971 either with Boler or Eleanor International. Tri-Fab began in May 1971 but contracted in September 1971 to build Boler American but finished their first production run of the Love Bug in September 1972 (did they make both brands at or during the same time?). Century Mfg. in Aurora Nebraska made a 1970 Eco Featherlite 13' but supposedly made Boler American as well. I understand that Eleanor International bought the production rights to the Boler American in late 1971 and Boler American were made in 1972 and ended in 1972 spawning off Scamp, Love Bug and Eco by the 3 respective plants. There is mention of molds being shipped in December 1971 to Eleanor, but based on what I have learned I am wondering if Boler contracted with any of the 3 plants to produce Bolers in the US before Eleanor International AKA "Boler American" came into play. Roy in TO quote from some newspaper articles in 1969-1971 that Boler was franchising with plants in the US, this was before Eleanor registered in KS and mentions of a plant producing in Los Angeles in April 1971.

Based on these serial numbers out of the Century Mfg plant in Aurora NE and from forum notes here on Boler Americans there is some confusion as to when production actually started in the US and serial numbers which are out of order with respect to the dates.

1971 #1057 (Matt G)
1971 #11XX (Johnny M)
1972 #1036
1972 #1069
1972 #1102
1973 #1105

• Also my paper work/bill of sale states mine as a 1971 and the previous owners tag history shows it as a 1971 as well.
• All emblems had been removed when we purchased it, but the plate on the tongue/frame looks identical to the Boler American plates pictured here but without the Boler American logo on it.
• It also had the original Ingersol Rub R Ride axle when we bought it and so I wonder if this axle was used both in the US and Canadian plants???
• The fiberglass molding of the tail lights on ours are identical to the one Matt G owned pictured on here (except ours is upgraded to led's/lenses).
• Also, when I was fiberglassing over all the rivet holes in our unit we had rivet holes in the same positions under the windows as where the Boler American emblems were placed, whereas the Canadian Bolers appear to have emblems above the windows.

I am pretty sure that ours is indeed a Boler American but I welcome any input on what I have gathered from the various threads here and from others on this site.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #169

Name: Brian
Manitoba
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by idratherbebolin View Post
I'm just a new kid here, but it looks like Neonex may have been making trailers for Honey to sell under their name, as well as their own Bolers. It's not uncommon to contract out something like this and have it badged with your company's name. Obviously Honey would have been paying Boler (Neonex) for the rights to sell the trailers under their name. Probably a good addition to the RV line they offered. Thoughts?

Here's a brochure from Honey on one of their small motorhomes.

Attachment 39435
I have a 1975 Honey built by "Neonex Liesure Products Ltd. - Boler Division"
in Wpg.
BrianT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #170

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I have a 1975 Honey built by "Neonex Liesure Products Ltd. - Boler Division"
in Wpg.
Can you post some pictures? Love to see them and any features that differs them from other Bolers including the emblems.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #171

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Can you post some pictures? Love to see them and any features that differs them from other Bolers including the emblems.
Johnny, you may want to check out the Boler information in the Document Center. There are a number of brochures for different years that may answer your question Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Boler
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #172
bog

Name: David
Trailer: boler
ON
HI i am new here and have found this document

Dave
bog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #173
bog

ON
New project

Hi this is our new project, the ownership says 1975.

as you can see someone was very handy

Installed a sliding vinyl window where the Jalousie was.
Installed a central vac plate for the electrical cord.
installed a hunter heater hb5000 to the rear of the egg. Exhaust is showing on top of bumper.

Any help to the history of this beautiful egg would be appreciated.

Dave
Old 09-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #174

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by bog View Post

installed a hunter heater hb5000 to the rear of the egg. Exhaust is showing on top of bumper.

Dave
David if you are trying to post a picture or document I don't see anything?
Old 09-09-2017, 06:48 AM   #175
bog

ON
document for the post
Attached Thumbnails
boler models 1975.jpg  
Old 09-09-2017, 06:50 AM   #176
bog

ON

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0701.jpg  
Old 10-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #177

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Boler American
Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Updating using supporting documentation.

Earlton starts production circa January 1972

An article on page 14 of the December-January 1971/72 Manitoba Business Journal posted on http://www.geocities.com/bolerama/bolerbusiness.html says "In 1972 the number of units on sale in Canada will increase considerably becaue of a new franchised manufacturer going into production in Earlton, Ontario, next month."

The same article states (for boler in 1968) that "During Its first year the company produced 40 units from a 4,000-square foot former warehouse on Higgins Avenue" and that due to demand "within a year the company was forced to move to it's present 30,000-square foot plant on Dufferin Avenue."

For the boler American, the article says:
"Elenor International, a large conglomerate headquartered in Witchita, Kansas, had contracted to establish sever Boler trailer manufacturing plants throughout the U.S.
The first three plants will be going into operation in three north-central states in January (1972)"
The article further says 3 molds were made and 2 more were being produced for Elenor International, which makes a total of 5. Crews from the U.S. were being trained -Do Not Post Email Addresses- 770 Dufferin in the past few weeks (December 1971)

Scamps new website (post fire) gives some more history on this page:
http://www.scamptrailers.com/About/TheScampStory.aspx

Circa July 1971 Evelands Inc. negotiated a contract to manufacture boler Americans and that boler American went out of business in late 1972. If production levels were the same as for the first 2 years of the Scamp they producted up to about 130 units of the boler American.
Evelands Inc. was left with the molds and started producing and selling their own trailers under the Scamp label. Production as follows:
130 the first year
about the same the second
500 in 75
600 in 76
700 in 77
These were all 13 footers.

The 16' was developed in 1978 and the 19' 5th wheel in 1981

Scamp's fire was Jan 13 2006 and the main plant was ready in December 2006. Postings here say the 13' model was changed post fire increasing the height by making molds from a 16' body that was shortened. If that is the case 2007 and on 13' trailers should be taller.
Roy, So You estimate that only 130 Boler Americans were ever produced? I own a Boler American #5010, We have fairly Rare units then eh?
CaptJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #178

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Interesting

First thing I live near where the Pla-Mor plant was I went by there monthly I don't ever recall seeing anything on the plant lot resembling a Boler trailer but anything could happen.

This plant was huge not like a Fleetwood but big for our area you could watch the progress at they started frame to finish. They built mostly al. trailers up to 5th wheels I think.

I also lived where Mark Twain and Tom Sawyer fiberglass boats were built and yes it was a dirty dangerous place to work. No masks to speak of and you couldn't stand the smell just driving by the place.

Interesting thing 2 inlaws at Scamp got into it resulting in Casita as well I am not sure but I think an exemployee of Scamp went out in business for himself too resulting in more eggs not a bad thing!

This is all I know for today!

Robert BEEEEEEEE
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:08 AM   #179

Name: T&K
Manitoba
My brand new history of the boler trailer is here:

History of the Boler - Boler-Camping
rova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #180

Name: Lisa 1972 tote n tarry
Trailer: tote n tarry 1972
Alabama
We are the proud owners of one of these little babies.
1972 toe me tarry
We are currently restoring it for our granddaughter.
Lisa tote n tarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, eggcamper