Eggs versus teardrops - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Having ditched the big stick-built 5er, I'm trying to decide between these two types of rigs. Will see them both in the next couple of weeks but would love input from all you vets out there.
Thanks
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Kind of a biased group here, don't you think?

I recently bought an egg (well, an egg with a hat...)

Why not a teardrop? I'm too claustrophobic for a short one and the Tabs won't fit in a garage. (And are too expensive.)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think the teardrops are cute...and cute counts for a lot with me. BUT, I like standing to get dressed (and having a bathroom inside the trailer), I like the option of cooking and eating inside as well. I could go on and on. The price between a very nice teardrop and a new 13' Scamp is not all that great...and you can get a gently used 13' trailer for less than a new teardrop.

The biggest thing is teardrops are not wet weather friendly at all. You either have to carry a bunch of extra stuff to enjoy the camping experience if it's wet, hope you're camped in an area with a shelter, or spend the time inside the trailer laying on your back. Not too many options.

To me, it's like trying to compare apples and oranges...both fruit, but are completely different.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
I'm with Donna on the roomieness of an Egg compared to T-drops but there are some similsr shaped T-drops that are larger and do allow for some more 'leg room'. The T@B line is very cute and at a recent RV show near us, they had 2 different versions on display, one had an 'inside' kitchen unit as opposed to the usual 'out-back' version. Pricie, YES but any NEW trailer(s) are pricie, as is almost anything new.

Consider also your own body size and factor in your age. Its not sooo easy getting around these days as it was say 10 years ago....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Having ditched the big stick-built 5er...
I think your transition will be more comfortable and less drastic if you went for an "Egg". A "Teardrop" is a step up from a tent, and I could recommend that for someone "moving up" if they have a car with only a 1000 pound tow limit. For someone who is "downsizing" I think you may not want to give up standing erect inside.

Don't overdo when downsizing the tow vehicle.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
A "Teardrop" is a step up from a tent, and I could recommend that for someone "moving up" if they have a car with only a 1000 pound tow limit.
Frederick - have you looked at the specs for the T@B? In addition to lacking headroom and stowage space, they are substantially heavier than a 13' egg. Not the kind of thing you could tow with a 1000 lb. limit!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Somehow I've never considered the T@B a teardrop...no matter what shape it may be. For giggles, see this Wikipedia for more info: Teardrop Trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #8

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Frederick - have you looked at the specs for the T@B?
I don't really consider a T@B to be a "Teardrop" so did not think of including it in that classification since [b]I can stand upright in one.

I was just thinking of the "Little Guy" and It's close relatives.

I agree that T@B is too big and heavy for a car with a 1000 pound limit.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Scallan
Unhappy

I spent two years looking at small trailers....the T@B was really high on my list due to it's size for towing...then I found the Scamp 13 et al.....there is no comparison with regard to actually using the two...having a bathroom, stand up room, kitchen,lots of storage, a/c, heater, etc was the deciding factor for me...there was only a couple of thousand dollars differance between the two, and for me at least certainly worth the extra money....there seems to be a much larger resale opportunity for my Scamp at a better resale price.....it really is like comparing apples and oranges as was said.

Bob
Robert Scallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #10

Registry
Smile

Quote:
I don't really consider a T@B to be a "Teardrop"
I get so-o-o frustrated by some modern advertizing people, (Like the copywriters for T@B) who have no sense of history, that try to use words with different meanings interchangeably.

IMHO a [b]T@B, especially the 1st floorplan with the kitchen inside is more like a "Canned Ham" than it is like a "Teardrop".

(on edit: another "Canned Ham" link.)
Old 04-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
If you're looking for a lightweight trailer there's a lot to like about the T@B. For one the T@B look and paint job is fresh and both the interior and exterior are crisper and more stylish than those of the Scamp or Casita, but they do have their downsides. The T@B's shape restricts headroom in much of the trailer (especially the newer Scamps, which have more headroom) and does not allow for as many windows as you find in the Scamp, and the Scamp weighs less.

In the final analysis it'll be what you feel most comfortable sitting in, and that's the key. Don't buy before you set your feet in both trailers.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I agree that the T@B with an inside kitchen is a travel trailer configuration, of "canned ham" construction and shape; it is not a "teardrop" layout and presumably not what Ian means by "teardrop".

The T@B with an outside kitchen is a stand-up variation of the traditional teardrop theme. Whether this makes sense or not depends on how you "camp", and it will indeed make sense for people who primarily want to live outside. This is identical in concept (but not shape or construction) to the moulded fiberglass Genesis recently discussed in this forum, and the now-defunct but interesting R-Vision Cassette (some still on dealer lots).

If I were looking for a teardrop, I would not consider the T@B outside-kitchen because it is too bulky and heavy. If I were looking for a small travel trailer, I would not select the T@B inside-kitchen because it is not functional enough (mostly a matter of headroom) for it's weight and bulk. The T@Bs do look good, are presumably well-constructed, and use good chassis components. They follow typical European chassis design patterns (using common Euro components from Al-Ko), not North American practices, and that probably attracts some of the unusual level of attention they get in this forum, given that they are not moulded fiberglass.

Comparing a more traditional low-profile teardrop to an "egg" travel trailer, it comes down to that camping style choice. It is possible to fit a very functional teardrop in a narrower and lower package than a similarly functional travel trailer, due to the inherent space issue; however, it seems that the weight savings are not as noticeable.

For an interesting comparison, last weekend I saw a Cassette (squared teardrop) and Outback (updated Trillium 1300 egg) side-by-side.
  • The Outback has a lower floor, so despite it's standing headroom it is not much taller.
  • The Cassette wheels stick out under fenders like an old car, so despite the body width difference the track width is similar.
  • They are about the same weight.
  • The Trillium was more expensive, but even then it is hard to see the Cassette as having anywhere near the same value.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have just finished looking at both the T@B and The New Trilliums in Calgary.I looked very carefully at both units.I chose to beleive the Trillium Outback is twice the unit of that of the T@B.
One of the Trills i looked at had a flush toilet with considerable room on the inside.This was a great feature for us older ones.I could also stand in it without any problem and i am 6ft 1 inch.Both my wife and i layed on the bed and found it to be ok for us to sleep in.
With the various options, you can have almost any type of setup that you want.
In defence of the T@B i did like the size of the bed.It was big and comfy.

Just so everyone knows i am on a road trip just looking at all small trailers and found the Trill to be the best buy for your Dollar.I have also looked at stickies.

Good luck in your choice.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:08 PM   #14

Thanks for the informed and informative comments. I really appreciate your insights. If I have a concern about the eggs it concerns the size of the sleeping accommodation. My wife and I are sort of wide-body people and I'm not sure the 49-inch bed in the eggs is enough after our queen at home. The teardrops give us that. But I really do appreciate the time and the input from you guys and we'll be back in touch when we make a decision if ever.
cheers for now
Ian
Old 04-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Size of beds depends on which model you chose. My Casita has a King Size bed.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
If your looking for a stand-up shower and a flush toilet and a very small trailer i know for sure that "Casita" makes a "13' Patriot Deluxe" that you can stand up in (5'10" inside height) ....Be sure to look at the "Deluxe" Model for the shower as the standard model has no shower....I'm not sure about "Scamp" 13' as someone else may be able to answer that question...... this is just a suggestion to help you along in your search.
Joe
http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/13-layout.html
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Ooh Ooh Ooh Boy if I was in B.C. and looking for an "Egg" I would trundle off to Chiliwack for a 16' ESCAPE at the droop of my hat!!! Yea I know they are $$$$$ but what a TRAILER!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:47 AM   #18

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I dont think anyone here is picking on teardrops, I'm pretty sure we all think they are really cool.
I was looking for a teardrop when I bumped in to my Burro. I knew there was a Casita ( I saw an old one at a Hamfest) but had no idea then about FB trailers until I saw the Burro.

We even discussed it overnight before buying it. A luxury that I don't think exists today. Now you have minutes to decide.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Hi: Ooh Ooh Ooh Boy if I was in B.C. and looking for an "Egg" I would trundle off to Chiliwack for a 16' ESCAPE at the droop of my hat!!! Yea I know they are $$$$$ but what a TRAILER!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Thanks. We're off to Chilliwack next week to the Escape factory. Should have a good ideea of our choices then.
Thanks again
Old 04-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #20

Registry
Talking

Quote:
I'm not sure about "Scamp" 13' as someone else may be able to answer that question...
Scamp also has a 13' version with a Bathroom. I understand that the Standard version with fiberglass cabinets only provides for a toilet in the bathroom, while if you go for the optional Deluxe wood cabinet version, then a shower and bathroom sink are included.

Name:   ImgLibrary_0006.gif
Views: 44
Size:  12.5 KB

I noticed that Casita's Patriot with the front full bathroom places the refridgerator next to the door in a separate cabinet, where Scamp's regular closet usually is. This makes the Patriot with a front bath like a mini-Liberty.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0528_small.jpg