Elbert - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #61

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Wow Chris,you've got a big project going there. You're doing a great job and I know it will be beautiful when you're finished. You'll make many great memories in your Uhaul. Getting a travel trailer that needs a lot of TLC like you have, will make you appreciate it all the more and give you a lot of personal satisfaction. Keep those pix coming.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #62

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1578590399.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	57331

Yep! Here is one of the leaks! But with the pipe and super glue there is no leak at the wire!
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #63

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Is that a water drop at the screw head? I had to remove one of the solar panel rails to get the panel off, then put the rail back on with butyl tape. That was easier than filling all the screw holes. Covered the wire hole with fiberglass cloth and resin. No more solar panel for us.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #64

Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Is that a water drop at the screw head? I had to remove one of the solar panel rails to get the panel off, then put the rail back on with butyl tape. That was easier than filling all the screw holes. Covered the wire hole with fiberglass cloth and resin. No more solar panel for us.
Yep thats water. i took about a cup up on top and poured it around and this is what i got! Gonna put my solar panel back on, so I will have to get the holes sealed up. Shouldn't be too hard.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #65

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Yep thats water. i took about a cup up on top and poured it around and this is what i got! Gonna put my solar panel back on, so I will have to get the holes sealed up. Shouldn't be too hard.
I put butyl putty around the hole, under the head of the elevator bolt and over the top of the exposed, threaded end of the bolt. No more leak.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #66

Georgia
Registry
So what about lighting the mounts up just a bit to allow for any water trapped under the panel to drain and not stand under it? Water running off has a less chance to find a way in. Or at least I think so. Or do you think that will put too much stress on the points of contact. That might be why there is the foam mount between the mounting rail and the roof, to kind of spread the load.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #67

Quote:
So what about lighting the mounts up just a bit to allow for any water trapped under the panel to drain and not stand under it? Water running off has a less chance to find a way in. Or at least I think so. Or do you think that will put too much stress on the points of contact. That might be why there is the foam mount between the mounting rail and the roof, to kind of spread the load.
My experience is that the hole needs to be sealed. If there is water present, it will wick through the smallest hole, whether it is from a standing pool of water or a steady mist. Leaving good contact between the roof and bracket will make it stronger, especially if you decide, like me, to use it to mount a larger panel.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #68

Georgia
Registry
Plan is to stay with the stock panel. Not sure the stock controller will run a larger one. I do like the board you put under your seat with the volt/amp meters. Is that something you would consider building for others to install in their units? If so you could PM me with your price. I can't find your post where you described it, but I remember thinking to myself "self, you need to get with him on that one there!"
Old 04-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #69

Quote:
Plan is to stay with the stock panel. Not sure the stock controller will run a larger one. I do like the board you put under your seat with the volt/amp meters. Is that something you would consider building for others to install in their units? If so you could PM me with your price. I can't find your post where you described it, but I remember thinking to myself "self, you need to get with him on that one there!"
The stock controller is a dinosaur in terms of electronics, but you can buy a new one fairly cheaply, if you go Chinese. Or get a brand name for about $50. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Thanks for the kind words on the control panel, but I really am not interested in making or selling anything. Too much like work for an old retired guy.

I would be glad to give you a parts / source list and help with any questions.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #70

Georgia
Registry
New carpet is in. Windows do not leak. Solar is on and does not leak. Electrical now has two brakers and the 12 and 110 are no longer on the same switch. Screens are riveted back on. Got to finish scrubbing the outside because my first weekend in it will be this one! There is a large VW show in Chattanooga and ELBERT will be my accommodations.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #71

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Have a great time! Are you going to attend the VW show, Funfest, in Effingham,IL? We saw a Boler there a couple of years ago, but the guy was not very talkative and did not seem to know about his camper.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #72

Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Have a great time! Are you going to attend the VW show, Funfest, in Effingham,IL? We saw a Boler there a couple of years ago, but the guy was not very talkative and did not seem to know about his camper.

CindyL
Yes I will be attending the show with my 1970 Bug.

Name:	image-2985971299.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	57700
Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #73

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Ooh, nice! We have a '69 Autostickshift and a '68 VW pickup, neither of which can be shown at this point. We did show our Eurovan last year with our Uhaul hooked up.

I am not sure we are going this year. I think we are tied up. Our granddaughter was born on the weekend of the Effingham show, so that has now made our annual trip there not definite anymore.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul at VW.jpg   Uhaul at VW 2.jpg  

CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #74

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You have done a lot of work Chris! Enjoy your week-end out with it!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #75

Georgia
Registry
Nice. I would love to have a DBL cab.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #76

I had a 1967 Karmann Ghia convertible as a lad, but in the Michigan salt is just sort of went away. I knew it was time when the doors jammed when the top was down.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #77

Georgia
Registry

Name:	image-162396534.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	57716

Front bunk area

Name:	image-3116631150.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	57717

Now I have put in the second beaker and have 2 circuits and no more 12 & 110. Now everyone can breathe a little easier.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #78

Georgia
Registry

Name:	image-1686804375.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	57762

Name:	image-4218014470.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	57763

Name:	image-2434341850.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	57764

Curtains in and a floor mat cut for the entrance.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2207580257.jpg  
Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #79

Georgia
Registry

Name:	image-2514922345.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	57832

Off to Chattanooga Tn for the weekend. That is my nephew and his wife who are taking ELBERT up and going to stay in him tonight. I will join them tomorrow afternoon.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #80

I thought sure you were gonna tow Elbert with the bug.