Elegance of Behavior - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #21

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I must have missed the particular post in question.

I'll have to agree with the bulk of previous posts here that, in all honesty, this group easily has the lowest "incident" rate of ANY forum or discussion group I've been a part of - ever. Credit for that goes to quite a few people; Mike S, the moderator team and the members themselves all should share.

Generators DOES seem to be one of those topics that results in some very emotional responses though. It's kinda like bringing up the "Loud pipes" or "Helmet laws" issues in a motorcycle forum. Very on-topic, so you'd hate to ban the discussion but people seem to have some very strong feelings about it - and some are incapable of engaging in polite conversation about it. It's a REAL shame though when someone lets their opinions for or against some object or practice, spill over onto the people who engage in the practice. There IS a difference. It's just a matter of maintaining your respect for someone while you have a difference of opinion with them.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
A couple of days ago,was stuck at home cause I didn't feel good, and I had some extra time at home on the computer. I saw a few responses that were kind of nasty, not well thought out.... probably never would have been posted if the posters had let their posts sit in preview for fiteen minutes and reread them ...
anyway, these posts appeared, then dispappeared , all in a matter of an hour.... the moderaters on this board do a wonderful job. Some other boards let things get way out of hand.
All the moderators deserve a round of applause for their volunteer time...

My read on this thread ...Let's all look carelully at what we write, look again and reconsider, and try to be our OWN moderators. Save these nice people some work.

I love this forum, and have learned a lot. Many of the people here have way more experience than I do, but no on e has ever given me a hard time on my contributions or questions. I won't post on something on which I have no personal knowlege, but my questions may be a little verbose. Sorry.

Hope to meet all of you somewhere. Some of the nicest people on the internet post here!
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler 1984
I do try to keep my remarks lighthearted and I'm sorry if doing so offends anyone but, it does seem like any suggestion on a topic brings out the nay-sayers. Who then spiel off paragraphs to proudly reinforce their opposite view. I love to read the ideas, good and bad, and have adopted some for personal use. The other ones are not rejected but just put on a back burner The posts that say "This is the ONLY way" and those that say "I'm right, you're wrong" are imediatly dismissed from thought and not re-read.
I said a lot more here and rejected it.
I vented a lot of fury and erased it.
I got quite emotional and used the backspace button .
I feel better now!

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #24

Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
Quote:
The overriding philosophy is No Preach'n, No Politic'n, No Sell'n and NO Flame'n and to grow the Fiberglass RV community for the benefit of all.
i wish this was the rule on other forums i frequent...
what i like most about this forum is the collective sense of community that comes from discussions staying "on task"... the result is that every topic is worth reading & learning from...
my only "complaint", (if you can call i that) is that Elegance Of Behavior can make people too polite, too agreeable, & stifle creative thoughts/ideas... i firmly believe in politeness, especially on the internet where words can be easily misconstrued...
i recently posted about my plans to tow my trailer with a 4 cylinder tercel, & was met with only mild resistance to the idea... i was seeking input from people with experience & knowledge on the subject, but i got the impression that sometimes we are reticent to be detractors/nay-sayers...
i'm new to the fgrv modifying scene, & i would rather not learn from expensive mistakes...
but i guess we do have the option of requesting more input contrary to our ideas...
--- steven
steven jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Good point Steven. What I think has been missed is that it is OK to disagree. The point is to disagree without being disagreeable. When it gets personal, it is out of bounds.

We have one member that thinks only Liberal views are tolerated. That is not the case. Conservative views about camping, pulling trailers, modifying, etc are totally OK. My view is that it should NOT get personal as in name calling, etc. I know that we all feel very passionate about different things. The point is to share your views in a way that is informational and not emotional.

We as Moderators have very diverse views and none of the Moderators are shy about mentioning them. We all respect each other and it NEVER gets personal.

We just had a very lively discussion about whether we should allow the word "Crap" on the permanent written record in the Forums. Sometimes what you say in life is and should be different then the permanent written record. So we change terms like "Holy crap" to "Holy smokes". It does not change the meaning of the post.

The point is we want this website to be easy to read and have value. Does this make sense?
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler 1984
Better than BLEEP BLEEP
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #27

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Mike.
I think this is a helpful and informative discussion. I'm interested in knowing if, when a post is edited or deleted, the poster is notified? If I have offended the moderators or anyone else, it was unknowingly and I would appreciate being advised of my transgression.
I find the forum overall wonderfully welcome and informative and it's one of the first places I check I every day. As someone who is way on the left on the political spectrum I would say that you do accept and post conservative viewpoints, just as you should.
Bravo to an informed and informative website and a big THANK YOU to the moderators who make it so.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #28

To be honest, no, we don’t give feedback automatically. We did at first and it turned out to be the wrong thing to do.

What we found is that we got all kinds of responses. Things like “How dare you.”, “This is a Free country, you can’t do that.”, “Thank you, I had second thoughts”, or just plain confrontation. I was even threatened once.

Then, there are those that want to find something to fight about. Whether it is with me or a Moderator, we are all volunteers and don’t have time or want a fight. We have lost several good Moderators because of visitors’ attitudes.

If someone PM’s us and asks what happened, I try to explain (if I know). Sometimes Moderators take care of something and I’m at work or still asleep. Thus I really don’t know. The way I look at it is, we are all trying to create a wonderful place to share and if we make a mistake, don’t take it too seriously.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #29

I was reminded that if a Moderator wants to post “edited” it is OK and up to them.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #30

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Thanks, and let me reiterate, you all do a great job.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #31

Trailer: Quest I

you can't put a price on experience or information and if people get flamed or slapped in a post then the less likely the sharing continues... at last check i don't think a real know it all has yet been found...
I find this sites sharing of broad knowledge and the quality of people at the top, hense its the first site in my favorites.
Keep up the good work.!
Ian S.
Ian S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #32

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
as a somewhat newish and fairly infrequent poster, i am not 100% sure "my" opinion is that important...

That said, here goes...

Life is also exemplified by the old 80 / 20 rule. 80% are nice 20% less so. And 80% of the problems come from the 20%.
The percentage certainly varies by topic and situation, but the overall issue has some validity. "a few" folks cause an inordinate amount of ruckus. Always have, always will. My own faith teaches that every member of the body is just as important as every other member.. an eye is no good without a heart withoug lungs without... you get it. And I have found that **by extension** even the rectums of the world have value and purpose. (think of the body analogy... without that, life would become VERY uncomfortable in a few days...) That said, the flip side is that there can also be cancer in the body that needs to be removed. So life becomes a balance.

What was one of the pieces of wisdom our moms taught us? "Just ignore them". If you find a poster with whom you normally disagree, do not click on his/her posts! if you run across one that really sets you off, take a deep breath (or go have a margarita or whatever YOU need to calm down), then move on. Don't even respond. It is just a forum. NOTHING said here will change the world ONE IOTA. it is just your opinion, and theirs, and his and hers and mine. Nothing more, Nothing less.

I have found this forum to be WONDERFUL. The range if info is so enormous. WOW - and kudos for ALL who contribute. and a SPECIAL thanks to teh moderators who spend the time to keep things on track.

Blessings to all... even the rectums! Lol/
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #33

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
i am not 100% sure "my" opinion is that important...
Length of time you have been a member has no bearing on the importance of your opinion.. of course, it is important. Well stated and respectful opinions are always welcomed, no matter how long you have been here.

and your post was very well done. Thank you!

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #34

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi:" A discriminating irreverance is the creator and protector of human liberty." Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)
I have been on both sides of this issue and realize we can be worlds apart yet still inhabit this space!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #35

Trailer: Apache
I love this site, even though I sold my Boler some time ago I still look in here often.
My current camper is a 74 Apache Solid State pop-up which is ABS plastic, no fibreglass so hope I don't get flamed now
Among the vintage RV sites that I belong to I rate this one high up, keep up the good work
Denis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #36

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard 13 ft
This was a wonderful 'sticky' to read. It seems that more and more, people insist that their particular lifestyle or way of doing things is the best. I notice this to a high degree in people of my generation (born in the 70s and early 80s). I remember one time I cooked pizza and my guests told me that they have a pizza stone and that I should have used one too. Well, maybe I don't want to use a pizza stone...

I could go on with similar examples, but let's keep this positive.

But my point is, reading your original post made me realize that this is truly a great community to be a part of. Glad I found you, even though I haven't found a camper!
Adam S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #37

Name: Alison
Trailer: 1974 Aer-flo 14R
Nova Scotia
Registry
I am a new member to the site and love every minute of it. I never liked forums do to the constant garbage or bickering on them. The forums here are wonderful. I love reading about people and there adventures. Everyone that I have read so far are great. We even get concerned about people that are sick or need help. Sometimes I think Canadians are the only people with respect but I see that south of the border this also holds true. So come on everyone, shake hands and reach out across the land with respect and common decency.
Alison Cape Breton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #38
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Thanks, Alison, for the kind words!
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Politics and Religion

So, when a post has the word "STICKY" in front of it, it is a permanent sort of guide to use in the website.

I posted some time ago and was brought up by Donna D when she was still a moderator. She did such a sweet job of pointing our how what I said could be taken wrongly. I still remember that and bless her for it.

I understand that one of the social rules to avoid fights is to stay away from the subjects of politics and religion.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #40

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Roger,
Thanks for bringing this post to the active part of the forum again.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote