Emergency Road Side Assistance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi everyone,

We were wondering if anyone in Canada had invested in a roadside assistance package for their units and also regular insurance coverage for their trailer.

The roadside assistance package we are looking at covers two vehicles and your trailer. This includes unlimited mileage and quite a few other perks.

I have searched on the internet for other companies that would offer a similar package but found none.

This package is offered through the Explorer RV Club in Beaverton, Ontario. First you have to buy a club membership $47.00 and then add the roadside assistance for $132.00. I did find on the internet that Sam Club offers roadside also.

Has anyone else looked into this type of coverage or do you feel it isn't worth spending the money on such a package.

Also what company do you recommend for insurance coverage on the trailer?

We are picking up our Escape 5.0 on July 6 and planning to go to Alaska from Chilliwack BC.

Thanks for all your help.
Georges & Cecile Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
In B.C. ALL our 'basic' coverage comes from the much luved I.C.B.C. Insurance Corp. of B.C.
All other 'add ons' are usually dealt with privately mainly because they are usually cheaper. Our 'other' coverage comes from B.C.A.A with R/V Plus coverage.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I invested in the Good Sam roadside assistance, and a great investment it was. Very professional. See my saga: Good Sam roadside assistance
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have Good Sam for RA and it covers ANYTHING you are in.. tug, tow.. and even when you are not towing. There is no limit on # of vehicles. If you are riding in your bother inlaws poorly maintained vehicle, and it explodes on the highway, it'll cover it too.

Trailer is covered for comp, collision and liability through my auto insurance when on the road, homeowners covers it at home in the driveway.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
BCAA roadside assistance will also cover us for whatever vehicle we're driving, but they won't cover us while we're in the States.

Congratulations on your 5th wheel!!
Jen'nBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thank you for your congratulations and wise words of wisdom.

We are very excited about getting our new Escape 5.0. We have never had an RV so it should be quite an experience for us.

I guess our best bet is to take the package I am presently looking at with Explorer RV Club.

Once again many thanks and I am sure we will keep you updated with our travels.
Georges & Cecile Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
BCAA roadside assistance will also cover us for whatever vehicle we're driving, but they won't cover us while we're in the States.
BCAA (British Columbia Automobile Association) is affiliated with AAA, just like AMA (Alberta Motor Association) and the other CAA (Canadian Automobile Association) clubs.

From the About BCAA page:
Quote:
BCAA is affiliated with the Canadian Automobile Association [CAA] and the American Automobile Association [AAA], which provide reciprocal services to BCAA members travelling outside of British Columbia and the Yukon.
From the AMA's United States Auto Clubs (AAA) page:
Quote:
Originally posted by AMA
[b]In the United States, AMA members receive the same level of services from AAA Offices as they enjoy throughout Canada.
Jen'nBarb, why would you not expect to be covered in the U.S.?

I have AMA Plus RV coverage, like Doug. The "Plus" is one package, and "RV" is in addition to that. We put Plus on for both of us, but RV only for one of us, since when the Boler is being towed we're both along for the trip.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
B.C.A.A. covered the Trailer Goddess and my son, while they were driving in HIS car (she was just a passanger) as they were towing a stickie to our R.V. property in N.W. Washington. They paid for the tow of the car (blown tranny) and the trailer back to the Can/U.S. border, dropped us off there only to be picked up by a Canadian towing company that took the trailer back to our place in Iron Mountain and the disabled car to a local tranny shop in town near us. The 'hook man' even drove my wife and son home, about 8 more miles out of his way!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Just renewed our Good Sam road assistance today and didn`t renew the club membership.....I believe that the road assist is good to have even though I naven`t used it yet but from our stories, it seems to me that the GS is the best one...we`ll see if we ever have to use it.....Also... Gina....noticed that in my renewal it mentioned if you are a driver of a vehicle and have a problem...didn`t mention being a passenger....maybe more info in the brochure...maybe been a change.....I don`t know where I put the last brochure, but will get a new one in a few days.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote