Emptying the Porta Potti - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 AM   #41

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Disclaimer

A tip from Sharon: Very possible that Using Clorox or other types of bleach in a Porta Potty or Camper toilet's holding tanks, for odor control, could result in harmful vapors when mixed with Urine.

A tip from Darnelle to try Mr. Clean seems like a much better choice. Or just stick with the Blue Stuff.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #42

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Do try the Mr. Clean -- we love it. Have used some blue stuff in pre-measured packets and even then the PP starts stinking.

It will be interesting to see if Mr. Clean works in tanks and how much is needed. We use a "splash" -- maybe 1/4 cup at first use.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #43

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Does your T@b have a cassette? My T@da did, but T@b's did not. I had no issue with my cassette. In fact, I'd rather have them than the fixed tank and stinky slinky.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #44

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I've always lived in houses that had pumps (no city supplied water). This means when the power goes out, so does the pump, and the water supply would only last as long as the pressure in the water tank. Thus, no toilet flushing bcause it uses up all the water. So we would 'flush' the toilet with a bucket of pond water (making sure we do not have any stray minnows or polliwogs in the bucket). By quickly dumping a bucket of water into the toilet bowl, it makes the toilet 'work' and flushes down the ick. So I do the same thing with my portapotty and just dump-er-down when I get home!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #45

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I've always lived in houses that had pumps (no city supplied water). This means when the power goes out, so does the pump, and the water supply would only last as long as the pressure in the water tank. Thus, no toilet flushing bcause it uses up all the water. So we would 'flush' the toilet with a bucket of pond water (making sure we do not have any stray minnows or polliwogs in the bucket). By quickly dumping a bucket of water into the toilet bowl, it makes the toilet 'work' and flushes down the ick. So I do the same thing with my portapotty and just dump-er-down when I get home!!
Hi, Pam

I see you and I have similar abode-related experience...
Power outages are no problem in the bathroom at my house!
Well, as long as the pond stays full, anyway...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #46

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I am lucky in my newest house, there is a free running artesian well that empties into a small pond right next to my driveway (and on my property, so the water is mine mine mine). So if I lose power, I might freeze, my food might all spoil in my fridge, but I will be able to flush indefinitely!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #47

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Ok, don't freak---but since we're all sharing great ideas--here's what we've used for the night time tinkle calls. The Uriwell. They accordion down to the size of a coke can, but extend to hold quite a bit. Easily used standing up (gal or guy!)

I found this great stand at Goodwill. Holds the 2 Uriwells, tp, and plastic bag for blotter disposal.

Although we purchased a Porta-Potty this summer (haven't used it yet)--I think I will end up using my Pett Potty with wag bags more. It folds down pretty flat, but stands up higher than a porta potty, and easy to dispose of. It would mostly be used for emergencies (solids)---otherwise we use the campground facilities. I find it fascinating that you wouldn't have caught me dead using this stuff as a teenager---old age has it's perks---I"M FREE!!!
Attached Thumbnails
PA300003.jpg  
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Ok, don't freak---but since we're all sharing great ideas--here's what we've used for the night time tinkle calls. The Uriwell. They accordion down to the size of a coke can, but extend to hold quite a bit. Easily used standing up (gal or guy!)

I found this great stand at Goodwill. Holds the 2 Uriwells, tp, and plastic bag for blotter disposal.

Although we purchased a Porta-Potty this summer (haven't used it yet)--I think I will end up using my Pett Potty with wag bags more. It folds down pretty flat, but stands up higher than a porta potty, and easy to dispose of. It would mostly be used for emergencies (solids)---otherwise we use the campground facilities. I find it fascinating that you wouldn't have caught me dead using this stuff as a teenager---old age has it's perks---I"M FREE!!!
Interesting!
So-what's the capacity, sessions-wise, and what do you do with the contents? And what's the "wet bag" all about?
Are there different configurations for girls and boys?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 07-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #49

Registry
Portable Toilets | Uriwell Extendible Portable Urine Receptacle

Fully expanded holds about 25 oz. The same opening is used for men or women. (And if I can do it---anyone can! When we got them, I "practiced" at home---didn't want a puddle on the camper floor! It worked like a charm!)

A plastic bag is for my "dabbing" paper, and hand wipes I put nearby.

You can empty them in the camp facilities or I poured mine right down the campsite dump hole (for the grey/black water disposal.) Then carefully rinsed it out (pouring that down the dump hole.)
Old 07-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #50

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Portable Toilets | Uriwell Extendible Portable Urine Receptacle

Fully expanded holds about 25 oz. The same opening is used for men or women. (And if I can do it---anyone can! When we got them, I "practiced" at home---didn't want a puddle on the camper floor! It worked like a charm!)

A plastic bag is for my "dabbing" paper, and hand wipes I put nearby.

You can empty them in the camp facilities or I poured mine right down the campsite dump hole (for the grey/black water disposal.) Then carefully rinsed it out (pouring that down the dump hole.)

Vicky,

Are Y'all and the "Bean" back on the road since the major renovation?

Also wondering how you like the Ridgeline over all.

Kip
Old 07-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #51

Registry
Hi Kip!

Uh, not quite yet---BUT---we're in the last stretch! We have a rally planned on Aug.5-7 at Weston Bend St. Park in Missouri. So a week from tomorrow Bean will be loaded and on the road---ready or not!

Then in Sept. we're headed to Arkansas for the rally there. I see camping in my future!!!

Vickie

PS--like the Ridgeline very much---but haven't towed with it much except from storage place to home several times.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #52

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Smile

I have a rule for the able-bodied. Stay able-bodied with clenched-teeth (not all that's clenched) late nite workouts. Carry a flashlight and walk to the facility. Don't have a portapotty but we limit the use of our throneroom and blackwater tank to No. 1. Take it home; into a bucket; dump on the garden. Rabbits don't care for the smell.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #53

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I have a rule for the able-bodied. Stay able-bodied with clenched-teeth (not all that's clenched) late nite workouts. Carry a flashlight and walk to the facility. Don't have a portapotty but we limit the use of our throneroom and blackwater tank to No. 1. Take it home; into a bucket; dump on the garden. Rabbits don't care for the smell.

jack
I'd hate to be your next door neighbor in the summer.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #54

Registry
At my age---clenched teeth WILL NOT work---it would just spray out my receding gums!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #55

Registry
Well, I've decided that the best solution in my case is to cut down on the "urge".
I'm gettin me some of this stuff, and consuming it straight out of the can, no mixing.

Uninterrupted sleep, here I come!

Francesca
Old 07-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #56

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd hate to be your next door neighbor in the summer.
Or your downwind / downhill neighbor
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #57

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Or your downwind / downhill neighbor
I didn't say I had neighbors. Oooooohh, that's where they went--I mean I went.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:54 AM   #58

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I am lucky in my newest house, there is a free running artesian well that empties into a small pond right next to my driveway (and on my property, so the water is mine mine mine). So if I lose power, I might freeze, my food might all spoil in my fridge, but I will be able to flush indefinitely!!
Our neck of the woods has lot of granite under foot. We get our share of cloud to ground lightening strikes. Also lots of pine trees that tend to load up with ice when those storms move through, The limbs break and tear down power lines. Got discouraged with loss of power for a few hours to several days.

We bought a 4000 (5000 surge) watt "Generac" generator several years ago, from Home Depot. It sure has come in handy in power outages. It won't run the entire house at once, but it will run most everything one or two at a time. Good to keep the fridge and freezer functioning.
Of course having power for the TV is nice.

We keep the circuit breaker for the Well turned off until we "need" water, for refilling containers (including the tubs), taking showers, flushing toilets and such. Because the 2 hp pump pulls a lot of voltage on start up and anything else running at that time is just too much for the gen.

Kind of like camping!

Kip
Old 07-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #59

Name: Pam
Trailer: 2004 Escape 17A
British Columbia
Registry
Smile

This is not the topic I would have chosen for my initial post, however after spending some time reading through this thread, I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents worth.

We recently purchased a second hand Escape 17A which came complete with a Thetford Porta Potti. Having never used/emptied/cleaned one before, I was unsure of what to expect. To my relief, it has turned out to be very simple and straightforward so am a bit mystified/fascinated by some of the posts in this thread.

Here is my experience as a new 'user'

Neither my husband nor I have noticed any odour, and he especially has a highly sensitive sniffer. I use a liquid deodorizer/digester which seems to be very effective at eliminating odors, as well as breaking down solid wastes, and keeping the bowl clean and everything functioning as it should. It is environmentally safe and 100% biodegradable.

For those with toilet tissue issues: are you using RV TT which breaks down more easily than the regular toilet tissue?

We empty after about every second or third night of use, and have not had any need to be 'hands on (or in) when emptying into either a pit or regular toilet. I carefully turn the 'chimney' of the holding tank upwards and slowly invert over the toilet, letting all the contents flow out. I have not experienced splash - which is why I tip slowly. Then I add fresh water (carefully avoiding touching the water tap) via the chimney, slosh it around a bit, then pour out. That usually brings out any remaining lumps A second rinse is seldom needed. Now, I just put in fresh water to cover the bottom of the holding tank along with some "Zyme Out", reattach the top tank, add water and "Zyme Out" to the fresh water tank, and we're good to go again (pun intended!)

It has been simple, odor/problem-free and quick.

Sorry if I was a little long-winded. It has taken longer to write about emptying/cleaning than to actually do it,
PamS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #60

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Welcome Pam! Where do you get Zyme Out? I've never heard of it before...
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote