Escape 17' on order-any factory mods suggested? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
After spending many months pouring over the great info here, we've decided to purchase an Escape 17'-B Plan (not our first trailer, but first fiberglass unit). I have an opportunity to go out to the factory this week and review any pre-build mods. Wondering if any folks here have suggestions for us?

Cheers! Jen
JenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Welcome aboard, Jen, and congrats on your upcoming switch to a molded fiberglass trailer. I've heard some great things about the Escape!
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
HI! Jen, and congrats on the new Escape trailer , they are a real nice trailer and Reace has done a great job building them. Jay
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
If you have time to wait, there is a gathering of B.C. egg owners Sept. 14 - 16 at Fort Langley. Although it will be my first visit to one of these I know from the forum that people will be happy to show you what they've done with their units, and talk about their "wish" list of things they plan/want to do, which might give you some ideas about your own.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
P.S. _ and welcome to FGRV.
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunny_n_Charoltte___Glass_Egg_Meet.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	9620

Hi Jen and welcome to our l'il clutch of Eggs!!

Glad you settled on an Escape, Reace HAS done an outstanding job on his product, hasn't he?

This gathering of ours in Sept is the first time that no Escapes are coming, I guess they've ALL ESCAPED!!!

Our event (held twice yearly) isn't very large yet but seems to be growing every year. Its hard to compare old(er) trailer(s) like ours with new ones like yours and its also hard to compare them in size when most at our meet this time will be 13footers. There are scheduled to be a small handfull of 17footers from which you may gleam ideas! If you cannot attend for the weekend, usually on Saturday we have "Walkabout Saturday" when we all (after tidying up our messes from the night before!!!) throw open our doors (or whatever we can throw) to anyone else interested in 'tours'! These trailers are not all 'done up', most look/are still stock looking but here's an example of a 17ft Boler that will be there...
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Congrats!! I'm sure you'll love your Escape!

I got mine about a year ago ( ) and here's what I got:
- external shower - I love having hot/cold water inside and out. The external shower is great for washing muddy dog feet!
- TV hookup - haven't used it yet.
- screen door - great for buggy places - it's a little flimsy, sometimes it bounces off it's track. But, easy to slip back onto the track and, since I hate bugs, I find it really worthwhile.

I wish I'd gotten the 2" receiver on the back to hold a bike rack. Overall, that would have been a cheaper option than what my dealer wants to charge me for a bike rack for my auto roof rack!!

A step and/or entry assist handle would be nice - I've been looking around for a box that I could store my wheel chalks, etc in that would double as a step - depending on your camping location, it can be a big step in.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
So glad you chose and Escape. We have a 2005 and love it. This spring we went to the factory and had an outside access door put in so we can get to the storage space under the rear dinette seat. Great place to keep hoses, etc. Reace also said he could put in an interior access to the storage spaces but we didn't have time for him to order the door. Think this would also be a great addition. We added to TV jack inside and had a 120 V outside plug put in. I do not like the mini blinds and have taken them out and put in curtains on expansion rods. I unit had custom valances that these feet in so perhaps you might consider something other than mini-blinds. Their screen door is essential for bug country. Know you'll love your new trailer.
Ellen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:29 PM   #9

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and replies! Unfortunately, I won't be in BC for the Fort Langley event, but the invites are appreciated-will try for next year. I'm flying to Ontario to get tow vehicle, then returning to pick up Escape early October-hopefully we'll dodge the snow on the way back!

We're considering having the rear (large) dinette made into a couch, which would make into a bed-anyone done this, or have any thoughts? (mom hates dinettes, and we'll still have the small one at the front. We're also considering leaving out the wardrobe and having the front dinette seat extended into that area-thought in would open up front of trailer.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
Congratulations on your trailer. We have a 2007 Escape. There is no need to worry about a step as it comes with one now. We also added most of the options. We haven't used the TV hook up yet, but I think we've used just about everything else!

Sounds like you want to make some interesting mods. However one of the things I love about the trailer is never having to make up a bed again!! Sounds like you might lose that option if you make the changes you mentioned. There are just two of us and we love the layout!

If Reace doesn't have a completed trailer for you to view we just live down the road and would be pleased to show you ours. :-)
Jen'nBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I suggest the following options:

Additional Window Over Sink (with blind) - Great ventilation and light at the sink and cook top
Air Conditioner (8000 BTU) - Good for resale and warm weather
Bike Rack Ready - This is the 2 inch hitch on the back
Dual Propane Pkg (2 - 20 lb OPD tanks, auto-change regulator & tank cover) - Nice to not worry about gas
Exterior 110v Outlet - Good for patio ligths
Equalizer Hitch (Installed) - Good if your TV needs it, mine does
Maxx Fan - A definite yes
Factory Tinted Windows - Works well to keep privacy and trailer cool
Hitch Wheel - good if you want to push around a bit
Interior Shower Pkg. (6 Gal DSI H/W tank, 20 gal gray tank, full fiberglass shower insert, sink with hand-held shower unit & holding tank moniter panel) - We've used ours alot
Exterior Shower added to Interior Shower Pkg. - Good for washing gear, dogs and your hands
Stove Cover (Add $15.00 for 3 Burner) - Equals extra counter space
12V / TV Outlet - We got it for the 12V plug but maybe someday we'll watch tv

We love our 2006 and we have the above options, I think they are worth the price.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #12

Thanks again for all the suggestions-we're using them all! Had a great visit this past week with all the folks at Escape-certainly confirms all the praises I've heard about the company and product. Reace is very determined to work in all the mods we've requested. Just have a few more questions for folks here.
-Has anyone added any extra lighting in the corners, such as pivoting lights? (we're looking to add some reading/gooseneck lights)
-Anyone installed anything other than a traditional car stereo? Like having a radio/CD player, but don't like the look of black/silver speakers in the cabinets-we're thinking of maybe using marine speakers, which are white
-We're trying to figure out a way to install a toaster oven-Reace figured hanging this below one of the cabinets would be the best bet, but he & I are both concerned about heat transmission to the cabinet and wall liner. Anyone have any suggestions for a heat/fireproof liner to surround a mounting cabinet for a toaster oven? (emits heat everywhere but bottom)
Cheers!

Tags
escape