Escape 21 vs? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
Escape 21 vs?

I was in Canada last week and went to the Abbotsford RV show, lots of cool stuff but I saw the escape and the guy sold me on fiberglass construction.
I liked their 21 foot trailer, it's a good price but I'm not sold on the finishing.
Is there any other fiberglass trailer that's around the same size but a bit nicer on this inside?
setreadygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setreadygo View Post
I was in Canada last week and went to the Abbotsford RV show, lots of cool stuff but I saw the escape and the guy sold me on fiberglass construction.
I liked their 21 foot trailer, it's a good price but I'm not sold on the finishing.
Is there any other fiberglass trailer that's around the same size but a bit nicer on this inside?
I have never seen an Escape but you might want to check out both the Oliver and Bigfoot.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:15 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Escape 21 vs?

BIgfoot makes a 21’ molded trailer in two floor plans. It’s a bit wider, heavier, and four-season. It has a conventional wood interior, well made by most accounts. Oliver makes a 23.5’ trailer also in two configurations.The added length is mostly frame, so it’s actually a bit less roomy. It’s a full double wall trailer, four-season, with a sleek white fiberglass interior.

Both are on the top end of the molded fiberglass price spectrum. BIgfoot is sold through dealers, while the Oliver, like Escape, is sold through factory direct orders
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:27 PM   #4

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
If by "nicer" you mean "more modern," I think Oliver is your only option. The build quality inside Escapes is exceptional but yes, the wood cabinets and 90s-era fabric patterns give it a certain rustic look. The Oliver Elite II is substantially more expensive than an Escape 21
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
The build quality inside Escapes is exceptional but yes, the wood cabinets and 90s-era fabric patterns give it a certain rustic look.

Of course, Escape will facilitate choosing your own fabric, counter tops and flooring. You have a choice of maple or oak cupboards. Lots of custom options.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
It depends on how you define “ Nicer”
More room , different layout , hickory or cherry cabinets , granite countertops , etc etc , etc ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
A friend was up to the Escape factory this week to finalize an order on a 21 footer. They (he and his daiughter) are providing the fabric to Escape for the cushions so they can get exactly what they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Of course, Escape will facilitate choosing your own fabric, counter tops and flooring. You have a choice of maple or oak cupboards. Lots of custom options.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yeah, a lot of us get Formica, flooring and upholstery exactly as we want it when we buy an Escape. Doubt you'll see a Bigfoot or Oliver coming from the factory with a Hawaiian print fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Sink_TenForward.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #9

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Besides Oliver’s double hull 4 season ,their marine grade hardware inside and out . Storage drawers on metal slides , shocks, bulldog hitch , larger fresh and grey tanks then competition, electric leveling system , double entry step , etc. They have a many great options from 320 watt solar package ,4 batteries on a slide easy to get to , backup camera , WiFi , inverters
Vented heat in the bath . You need to check one out . Didn’t know about Oliver until later but would of been our choice if we did . A trailer that is well thought out and highest quality . Also aware of Bigfoot for many years , great trailers too . Before you purchase check your options . We do own a Escape but still love the Oliver . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #10

Name: John
Oregon
Yes, for sure Oliver is more in line with what I'm looking for. 4 season is a pretty big deal in the summer and winter for us, and just a bit higher end finishing, appliances, solar panels, etc.
I love the idea of long-lasting and waterproof fiberglass one-piece construction though, just doesn't seem to be a ton in that market. I'll see if I can look at an Oliver.
Thanks!
setreadygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Yes, for sure Oliver is more in line with what I'm looking for. 4 season is a pretty big deal in the summer and winter for us, and just a bit higher end finishing, appliances, solar panels, etc.
I love the idea of long-lasting and waterproof fiberglass one-piece construction though, just doesn't seem to be a ton in that market. I'll see if I can look at an Oliver.
Thanks!
If you want to see an Oliver, go to the Oliver Travel Trailer website. There is a link there that lists owners in your area that are willing to show their trailer. I recommend a factory tour as well. If you end up ordering one it might be worth the trip to Tennessee to get a tour and order in person. If you have some free time in May, there will be a couple hundred Olivers (and some other brands) at Lake Guntersville State Park in Alabama (May 14-17) for the factory sponsored Oliver Rally. If needed, there is a big lodge with rooms and individual cabins. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #12

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Thanks!
You are welcome l Also besides checking out in person by calling Oliver , they send real nice brochures to really show you what you can expect . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaandPat View Post
You are welcome l Also besides checking out in person by calling Oliver , they send real nice brochures to really show you what you can expect . Pat

Yes that is 100% correct. They will send you brochure after brochure. I don't know if this is the same for everyone else, but I was getting emails from Anita between once every 3 days to at least once a week. I finally had to tell her to just stop contacting me.

I saw the brochures, and looked at all the pictures. Looked like a great RV on paper. Finally went to see one on person. I really wanted to like it. Oliver is a well built trailer for sure. Everything felt so sturdy. The issue was I just didn't like it. For me, (personal preference only) it just felt too submarine hospital like. Others love it and I can understand why. For me though when I set foot in a Bigfoot, it was like night and day compared to the Oliver.

Quote:
Thanks!

Did you happen to see a Bigfoot when you were in Abbortsford? Get-Away RV is in Abbortsford and I was told they usually have a Bigfoot at the show. If not, you should check them out (if you are still in the area.) Bigfoot is a 4 season RV as well. Solar panels, cell phone boosters, etc, can all be added to many fiberglass RVs. Some things, like the marine grade hardware, Frame type, etc can not. Main thing is do you like it.

Jon
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Just realize those other brands will cost about double the Escape. They are nicer for sure. And heavier, so plan on a larger tow vehicle. 4 Season molded FG adds cost and weight. To some its well worth it. To others, not so much. The Oliver will either be relatively narrow twin beds or a larger climb over bed. A lot of people are not fond of climb over beds. Again, its a personal thing. Our Escape 19 is a climb over bed. OK for us, deal breaker for others.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:53 PM   #15

NW Wisconsin
We are still experiencing daytime highs in the 20’s & low 30’s with night time lows in the single digits to the upper teens
Our trailer sits in storage until the weather warms up in May
Yes , Olivers and Bigfoots are more costly but they greatly extend your camping seasons
You’re going to pay whether your trailer is in storage or out camping .
If you like to camp , fish , hunt in the Fall it’s something to consider
Old 03-02-2020, 06:48 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Or you can do what many do and use the under-mount four-season climate control system...

The wheels allow you to pull the trailer to warmer climes in winter and cooler climes in summer. For us it’s only an hour one direction in summer and three hours in the other direction in winter.

As Steve says, if you plan to seek out cold weather camping to take advantage of winter recreation- skiing, hunting, etc.- then yes, a true four-season trailer may be worth the added weight and cost.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #17

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Or you can do what many do and use the under-mount four-season climate control system... [emoji6]

The wheels allow you to pull the trailer to warmer climes in winter and cooler climes in summer.

As Steve says, if you plan to seek out cold weather camping to take advantage of winter recreation- skiing, hunting, etc.- then yes, a true four-season trailer may be worth the added weight and cost.
Jon , you are correct , one could load up their trailer and head South to warmer climes
For us heading to Florida or Arizona is an 1800 mile drive . If your retired, probably more of an inconvenience than anything else but if your still working it’s a substantial commitment of time and money .
We would like to be able to make short trips ( 3 to 5 days ) in the early Spring and Late Fall , something an Oliver or a Bigfoot would allow.
Our Escape is basically a Summer time trailer and our Summer is only about 4 months long at the best . Makes it hard to get the most out of your investment.

PS ; We went South in the Winter for the first 4 years after we retired and decided that being trapped in our home , sitting by the wood stove in the Winter was no worse than going South and being trapped in our trailer all day with the A/C running plus staying home was far less expensive .
If the daytime highs never got warmer than 70 deg , I would be one happy camper !!
Old 03-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
our trailer

Mr Steve. Here in Missouri its still cold especially at night. We will be taking off shortly for a tour of all our Missouri springs there are quite a few extending up into Arkansas! Early in the year we don't have to worry about copperheads and rattlesnakes!

Our camper a 13f 98 single wall Scamp. LO! [We will be heating it at night with a Wave 3 heater! I don't know why people worry so much I don't know if you could maintain heat or not in below zero temps in these trailers whatever it is. I am thinking tough to do! I know a friend of mine had a 32f 5th wheel at a campground in New Mexico he finally had to have a propane tank brought out and that was 20s at night!

I look at the prices of some rigs and it scares me not only the cost but every little scratch would make me cry!

Life is good with a Scamp lol

bob

bob

QUOTE=steve dunham;769817]We are still experiencing daytime highs in the 20’s & low 30’s with night time lows in the single digits to the upper teens
Our trailer sits in storage until the weather warms up in May
Yes , Olivers and Bigfoots are more costly but they greatly extend your camping seasons
You’re going to pay whether your trailer is in storage or out camping .
If you like to camp , fish , hunt in the Fall it’s something to consider[/QUOTE]
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #19

NW Wisconsin
Considering what my 401K lost last week , I would have been better off buying a 25 ft Bigfoot trailer , at least I would have something to show for my money
Old 03-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Bit of thread drift here, but I’ll simply remark that winter in the SW is different than winter in the SE. Low humidity makes for chilly nights and comfortable daytime highs, punctuated by cold Pacific storms. Elevation comes into play: the higher deserts of SE Arizona are cooler than the lowest deserts on the western side. El Nino (cooler and wetter) and La Nina (warmer and dryer) patterns also vary from year to year.

Overall we find we are far more likely to use the furnace than A/C for winter camping in the desert areas of the SW. Except during the Pacific storms, I doubt you’ll be trapped in your trailer!

The OP lives in Oregon, so not so far. Retired or employed makes a big difference, of course.

Tags
escape