Escape 23 Floor Plans - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Escape 23 Floor Plans

Hi all,

I just received a newspaper from Escape Industries introducing 6 possible Escape 23 floor plans. They are asking for input.

Here’s link to the site that contains the floor plans & how you can communicate your impressions.

http://https://escapetrailer.com/the-23-escape/

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Hi all,

I just received a newspaper from Escape Industries introducing 6 possible Escape 23 floor plans. They are asking for input.

Here’s link to the site that contains the floor plans & how you can communicate your impressions.

http://https://escapetrailer.com/the-23-escape/

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.
They have them on their web site. I was looking at them the other day.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Escape 23 Floor Plans

I don’t have a stake in this decision, but I’m looking forward to the comments. I noticed they all have a front bed/rear lounge/center galley-bath arrangement, which seems to be the majority but not universal preference.

I’ve always thought a rear entry door looks awkward from the outside, but it seems to make more sense with a front bed layout (especially front twins). Some of the layouts have really short bed(s). I think that would be a big mistake.

If I’m seeing right on my small screen, the rear entry layouts have a split bath, while the others have a combined dry bath.

Nothing screams “That’s perfect!” to me. Curious what others think.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Have to say, none of them. If I like the bed, I don’t like the dinette or bath. And really I don’t like the dinette on any of them.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #5

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
I like the f4 and f6 with the corner dinette.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #6

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

I have really enjoyed reading about the recent discussion of the Escape 23 and its potential floor plan options. I am a firm believer in “love the one your with”. It has worked after nearly 37 years of marriage and over 200 nights in our ‘05 Casita 17 FD the last 4 camping seasons!!! With three years til retirement and Casita/Borrego being paid, we ain’t changing until retirement, if then. However, Laura and I have spent dozens of hours on lazy weekend mornings talking about RVs, campers, travel, etc., particularly post retirement. We love small motorhomes 21 to 25 feet and small campers 23 feet plus/minus 2 feet. We almost always stay in the egg camper world when we talk about retirement trailers.

In any case the “perfect” molded egg camper floor plan for us would include the following:
1. Behind the wheel entrance.
2. Dry bath (split design).
3. Bed(s) in front either twin or walk around.

In addition to being molded fiberglass and 21 to 23 to 25 feet, the Escape 23 floor plans 4 & 6 really hit the mark for us.

We are not fans of dinettes, but they are not a deal breaker. Personally, I would prefer a theater style sofa with recliners for comfort over the utility of a dinette.

We love the Oliver and we consider it a local manufacturer. It has a combination of amenities that no other egg camper has, but there are shortcomings as well that are exacerbated by the price. I am guessing that the flagship Escape 23 will come with a top of the line price, but should still be well under the price of an Oliver 23.

In any case, we will completely enjoy how the Escape 23 rolls out. We will spend lots of time talking about camping, RVing, retirement, floor plans, etc. while we continue to love our Casita.

Hmm, but a new camper (and truck unless it is a small motorhome) for retirement will continue to be a topic of conversation for us. The Escape 23 has ensured that our conversation will not get old and boring!!!

Much health and wellness to all,

Dean
Old 05-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Have to say, none of them. If I like the bed, I don’t like the dinette or bath. And really I don’t like the dinette on any of them.
I haver to agree, at least with the kitchen. I dry camp for a couple of months in one place (Winter in Quartzsite), have already added a wood cover for the stove/oven, and still run out of counter space. In many of the designs you need to reach across the sink to use the counter - not all that practical for cooking from scratch.

I don't mind the shorter beds - have slept in a full size all my life (53" X 75"), and have the same in my 21. While making the walking around bed is nice, it isn't worth the reduced kitchen space. Probably more beneficial for a couple for avoiding crawl over or scooting to get out in the middle of the night, but I now travel solo. Same with the separate shower. Nice, but it only takes a couple of minutes to squeegee & shammy down the shower walls.

While I am not all that excited about a murphy bed, the optional chairs, if they were true loungers might be an interesting layout.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I haver to agree, at least with the kitchen. I dry camp for a couple of months in one place (Winter in Quartzsite), have already added a wood cover for the stove/oven, and still run out of counter space. In many of the designs you need to reach across the sink to use the counter - not all that practical for cooking from scratch.

I don't mind the shorter beds - have slept in a full size all my life (53" X 75"), and have the same in my 21. While making the walking around bed is nice, it isn't worth the reduced kitchen space. Probably more beneficial for a couple for avoiding crawl over or scooting to get out in the middle of the night, but I now travel solo. Same with the separate shower. Nice, but it only takes a couple of minutes to squeegee & shammy down the shower walls.

While I am not all that excited about a murphy bed, the optional chairs, if they were true loungers might be an interesting layout.
I so miss soloing in my BF19 with Gaucho bed.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #9

The hard truth of the matter regarding trailers is you are always compromising something.

Fiberglass trailers are light and well built - happiness means never having to replace your roof. But your trading cabin space & things like sliders.

I sold my ‘92 BF19 because camping with my newly retired husband required more storage space & a larger, dedicated bed. So the trade off for the larger bed is 2 ft and extra weight.

But our new Bed is a double edged sword: Definitely do not enjoy crawling the length of bed - especially when you add a Labrador into the mix.

So I am seriously interested in that walk around Queen. Bigfoot has a 25 ft trailer with a walk around Queen. Probably too heavy for our TV. It also has less counter and storage space in the galley than the BF21.

First impressions: The trade off with this trailer is the galley’s counter space, probably storage space within the cabin. Not sure if I like front door dinette configuration.

Door in back renders more spacious galley and dinette. But I’m confused about bath size. I know my husband prefers the separate shower stall, but I’d rather have 1 larger marine bath & more storage.

I’m assuming this trailer is designed for couples with children.

I am intrigued with lounger concept. But I’m with Jon that they haven’t thought this through. Why not offer a Gaucho type bed where you have a comfortable couch that can be converted into the Queen? This assumes you have a wall opposite the bed/couch for a TV.

I do miss the my BF 19’s Gaucho couch. I liked using the dinette for food prep, eating and working on my computer. But it’s nice to stretch out on the couch when reading or listening to music. I did not have a mattress topper on that couch & was able to hide my bedding with a throw blanket. Had I kept it, I would have added a Logan table system to that area, and a ceiling fan.

Getting back to the Gaucho/walk around Queen in that area, it will have to be a designed for comfort. Practically, we all keep the dedicated bed ready for sleeping - including comfy mattress topper.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I like the Escape fifth wheel better.

Just one opinion.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I've always been confident that I could come up with a better layout than anything on the market. Until I try it.

I'm not a fan of the conceptual rear-door layouts. I think the kitchen counter layouts are poor. It also seems that there's a lot of wasted space dedicated to the hallway between the shower and toilet.

So, I laid out an alternative rear-door layout. I'm presuming a north/south walkaround queen in the front of the trailer. I'm trying to retain the counter space and the generous space in front of it that we like in our Escape 21. I'm adding a dry bath. The real point of this layout is to facilitate one option which would add bunks where the dinette is located.

More importantly this layout is intended to support my desired option to replace the dinette (and/or bunks) with much more comfortable seating in this area, perhaps even consisting of little swivel chairs (not shown).

Of course in my happy little paint-a-seagull-here place, I don't have to deal with wheel-wells and all that sort of real-world nonsense.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape 23 Concept-Layout1.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #12

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I've always been confident that I could come up with a better layout than anything on the market. Until I try it.

I'm not a fan of the conceptual rear-door layouts. I think the kitchen counter layouts are poor. It also seems that there's a lot of wasted space dedicated to the hallway between the shower and toilet.

So, I laid out an alternative rear-door layout. I'm presuming a north/south walkaround queen in the front of the trailer. I'm trying to retain the counter space and the generous space in front of it that we like in our Escape 21. I'm adding a dry bath. The real point of this layout is to facilitate one option which would add bunks where the dinette is located.

More importantly this layout is intended to support my desired option to replace the dinette (and/or bunks) with much more comfortable seating in this area, perhaps even consisting of little swivel chairs (not shown).

Of course in my happy little paint-a-seagull-here place, I don't have to deal with wheel-wells and all that sort of real-world nonsense.
Hi Mike,

NICE! I hear your point regarding the “dead space” with the split bathroom plan. I also like the potential flexibility of the 2 person dinette options (bunks, swivel chairs, or sofa/theater sitting).

OK, put this on my short list along with floor plans 4 & 6!

Take care,

Dean
Old 05-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #13

Quote:

Ummm, I like this a lot.

My interest in moving to a 23’ Escape would be the Queen size walk around (or twin beds). But I don’t want to sacrifice storage or galley counter space. It’s also important to be able to move freely within the cabin. We spend a lot of time sitting at the dinette. My BF19 had super comfortable seating as the original owner splurged on additional cushioning. Not so with our NTU BF 21.

Why not switch sides - move the galley of the street side of the trailer. This would put plumbing for the dry bath & galley sink on same side of trailer. You would have refrigerator forming a natural barrier to the bedroom. Out BF inserts the refrigerator behind a reinforced wall, where the previous owners hung a TV.

I’m not a great fan of bunks, but Escape can offer it as an option - particularly if you want to have swivel chairs or sofa, theater seating, and still offer sleeping area. Even so, I’d prefer cabinets over the dinette for storage, and a storage well behind one of the seats.

The rear section wall of the trailer would probably not include a window - which does reduce natural lighting. That would allow a taller cabinet next to the bath. But what about the Queen bed wall? I’m guessing you’d have upper cabinet storage on either side of the bed and lower cabinets on either side of the bed.

I guess bunks would be for families with young children. My interest is traveling with my husband and dogs. So I’d rather see dinette configurations that can be converted to sleeping areas.

One thing about Civil Guy’s floor plan, he’s moving weight into the front of the trailer. Particularly true if the put basement storage under the bed. (Where will the fresh water tank be located?). I forgot where the outside storage box is located ...

Sorry everyone, but even with solar, I can see where boon dockers will need a generator. I would put mine on the back of the trailer - a bonus to the added tongue weight.

Thanks Civil Guy. You gave me lots of ideas.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #14

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
I’m not a great fan of bunks, but Escape can offer it as an option - particularly if you want to have swivel chairs or sofa, theater seating, and still offer sleeping area.
I started out writing a reply on the Escape web site yesterday, and ended up moving into Word to draft text for a reply that I could copy and paste into their web form. That led to describing what I thought might work better, which led me this morning to working up a quick floor plan. It is actually drawn to scale and I think that with some work it might be serviceable.

From there I realized I hadn't given any real thought to wheel wells and utilities; all the "real-world" stuff that constrains a design. However, I think it might actually be practical as I lifted liberally from the Lance's Model 1995 floor plan. (Okay, I basically ripped off their whole design minus the slide!)

The bunk approach emerged from my draft "letter to Karl". I figured Escape really needs to appeal to the "family" market with their largest trailer, while my personal focus is a one or two-person design with an emphasis on getting some decent seating. So, the bunk option was basically something of a nod to their (presumed) interest in addressing the family camper, while pursuing my own interest in an option with better-quality seating.

In concept, this would be much like the difference between the Casita Freedom Deluxe (with captain's chairs) and the Spirit Deluxe (small dinette / convertible to a bed); it would utilize the same shell with two different seating systems, possibly adding a third variant with a bunk over the dinette.

Regarding the tongue weight, yes the front bed and the Aframe storage box on our Escape 21 facilitates easily overloading the front, so I do have to manage the storage weight in that area. (Incidentally, most of the trailers I've seen with a front Murphy-bed and underlying chairs seem to suffer from the same issue of high tongue weight, so I'm not hopeful for their concept with this option.)

I appreciate the comments. To be fair, I may or may not pursue this any further as it's basically just some idle musing on my part. I think I have a viable concept to make the Escape 21 seating much more comfortable, so I don't really have a huge stake in the 23 design.

By the way, I'm sorry, I'm not that familiar with Bigfoots. I'll have to look at them and refresh my memory in order to better relate to some of what you posted here.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #15

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
PS: Does NTU mean new to us?

Old 05-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #16

Quote:
PS: Does NTU mean new to us?
Yes, though I keep forgetting the actual initials. Hopefully this is the correct

Regarding Bigfoots, look at the floor plans & pictures for the BF21FB, which is what you are suggesting. The extra 2ft would allow for a NS bed configuration.

We have the BF21RB. But to tell the truth, I think the Forward bed plan would work better.

Personally, I think you should post your ideas with Escape. They aren’t where they should be with these suggested floor plans and your changes would work so much better.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Yes, though I keep forgetting the actual initials. Hopefully this is the correct

I thought it was Nuts to You.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I thought it was Nuts to You.
That’s good - I fear you are correct & I’ve been insulting lots of folks. 🤣
Old 05-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #19

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Personally, I think you should post your ideas with Escape. They aren’t where they should be with these suggested floor plans and your changes would work so much better.
Karl posted on the Escape forum and said that they will not be looking at the thread replies, only the web-form replies. It seems there may be some risk of willful blindness here. My recollection is that Rease posted his conceptual layout for the 21 to a thread and engaged in a dialogue with the asylum inmates there.

I might see if I can cut and paste text into their web-form. Or maybe they are already aware that there are other designs on the market they can look to.

Incidentally, I did indicate storage between the dinette and the bath. And, though the plan view doesn't express it well, the back cushions are reclined about 4-inches in contrast to the typical 90-degree designs.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #20

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I like Civilguys layout a lot, and it would be something I would actually buy. Unlike any of the current escape-generated designs. That said, I do wonder about interior wall/partition shell support requirements particular to an FGRV. That may be driving some of Escape’s designs.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape