Escape's are 1/8" thick?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-27-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Joe & Cherie's Avatar
 
Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Posts: 496
Escape's are 1/8" thick??

So I emailed Escape and asked if they considered a layout for the 5.0TA to include a set of recliners - which could be more beneficial than the dining room table to a couple that is full timing it for a while. A place to relax, kick feet up, read, or TV while raining. Here was the reply:

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your response.

In order to provide our customers with such a lightweight trailer, the fiberglass shell of our trailers is only 1/8” thick. We utilize the cabinetry on the inside to provide the structure and rigidity. Unfortunately, if we were to remove any interior components to allow for recliners to be installed it would jeopardize the structural integrity of the trailer.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sarah Morelli, Customer Service


Im not completly sure, but I believe my Casita is THICK - like 1/2" or 3/4" - its a lot. I just thing 1/8" is pretty thin - whats your thoughts?? We want a 5.0TA VERY bad - but 1/8" thick?? Got me a tad worried. Any comparisons? How thick is a Casita? Anybody know how thick a Bigfoot is?? A Bigfoot is our other option we are considering. I realize they are heavy - but that may be ok for us.
__________________
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,377
Registry
Fiberglass trailers are all constructed similar, most are 1/8" thick.. I own a Boler and Escape right now and they are both about 1/8" thick shells, I previously owned a 2008 Casita FD and I can assure you it was also 1/8" thick. If the shell was any thicker the weight would be incredibly heavy.

When you add the insulation and inner lining it is thicker but the actual structural fiberglass is about 1/8" on the units I have owned.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Posts: 1,542
The Fiberglass in my Bigfoot is about 1/8 " thick. The foam and lightweight paneling make the total thickness about 1 inch total. I believe all fiberglass trailers have very thin fiberglass material and all manufacturers use the cabinets etc. to add structural integrity.


I like your idea of recliners in back but I'm afraid it would not work.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joe & Cherie's Avatar
 
Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Posts: 496
Ok, Well Im learning every day! Thanks for that information!! I was confused because the round fiberglass plug that Casita uses to hold on the spare tire is a THICK circle. Maybe it came from an interior cutout part - not the exterior. Also, Im 250lbs and I get up on the roof of the Casita and it doesn't budge! I guess the shape keeps it strong! Thank you everybody!
__________________
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Posts: 25,452
YEARS ago, I talked to Reace about not having a rear dinette, but wanting two recliners instead. He said then it wasn't possible, because the rear cabinetry provided support for the back end, otherwise it would be "floppy." Besides where are you going to put all the "stuff" that's under the cabinets? Like electric, hotwater heater, etc. There's only so many places to put that stuff and frankly after thinking about it.. I'm grateful I have cabinets where I can put my clothes and dishes. YMMV
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joe & Cherie's Avatar
 
Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Posts: 496
Im with ya Donna - would miss the storage and table etc. But man, if they could somehow get 2 recliners in that package.....the 5.0TA would be the PERFECT full timer for the Mrs and I. Oh well - I still have to WORK for 10 more years anyway so whats it matter.....haha

Thanks again!!
__________________
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Posts: 25,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Im with ya Donna - would miss the storage and table etc. But man, if they could somehow get 2 recliners in that package.....the 5.0TA would be the PERFECT full timer for the Mrs and I. Oh well - I still have to WORK for 10 more years anyway so whats it matter.....haha

Thanks again!!
We should look for a Silver Cloud! 1987 28' Bigfoot Silvercloud Travel Trailer | Claresholm, AB, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 2,274
Registry
The Lil Snoozy is built like a fiberglass speed boat, so instead of 1/8" thick walls, they are almost 1/2" thick, and the floor is double that, so they do not need any support to help keep their shape & strength. The Lil Hauley is a cargo trailer version of the LS. I believe that the Nest Caravan is built the same way.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #9
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
The Lil Snoozy is built like a fiberglass speed boat, so instead of 1/8" thick walls, they are almost 1/2" thick, and the floor is double that, so they do not need any support to help keep their shape & strength. The Lil Hauley is a cargo trailer version of the LS. I believe that the Nest Caravan is built the same way.
Dave & Paula
2500 lbs dry weight for 13 ft of living space is the penalty for thick glass......
__________________
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 2,274
Registry
Charlie, it is a little larger than that, and many find it worth the extra wt.

Lil Snoozy Specifications

Overall Dimensions
Length: 18 ft. 6 in. (encompasses tongue to rear of AC unit)
Height: 7 ft. 7 in.
Width: 8 ft. (from outside tire to outside tire)

Living Area Dimensions
Length: 14 ft. 6 in.
Interior Width: 6 ft. 6 in.
Interior head room: 6ft. 4 in.
Bed Size Area: 63” x 79” (34 sq. ft.)
Overall Living Space: 95.25 sq. ft.

Overall Weight: 2500 lbs.
Tongue Weight: 185 lbs.

The Snoozy comes with a "Jack Knife" sofa which will comfortably sleep 2 children or one adult, in conjunction with the full Queen bed the Lil Snoozy will sleep three to four very comfortabl
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:06 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joe & Cherie's Avatar
 
Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We should look for a Silver Cloud! 1987 28' Bigfoot Silvercloud Travel Trailer
Donna!!! I had NO IDEA a such thing even existed!! I WANT ONE!!! What a perfect way to go! With a 1/2 ton TV, its fine. We could work on it and use it as we are waiting for retirement - like add new appliances etc. Ever have one of those days where you cant stop thinking about something?? Well, this is going to be one of those days!! Now we need to find one in reasonable price and condition.

Do we know what years they were made?? Id like to find one of the newest models available. We've got the Casita to hold us over, and years till we go full time - so time is on our side for this!

THANK YOU
__________________
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:16 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 11,016
Registry
Here are a couple of other options for you, Joe.

In this recent Bigfoot sale, I noticed that the owner had removed the side dinette in a 21' model and put a pair of chairs and a side table in its place. Not exactly recliners, but they look comfortable.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ras-71910.html
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bigfoot.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	90141

A Lil Snoozy is self-supporting, as David mentioned. The standard floor plan has a queen bed up front in the "nose cone" and a jackknife sofa facing the entertainment cabinet. I don't see any reason why you couldn't delete the sofa and put whatever chairs you wanted in its place.
Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites

Name:   Lil Snoozy.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  7.5 KB
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 11,016
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
2500 lbs dry weight for 13 ft of living space is the penalty for thick glass......
The glass is not thick. It's two thin layers (less than 1/8" each) with some kind of honeycomb-type layer in between. The net result is comparable to other molded fiberglass trailers of similar size.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Posts: 7,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Donna!!! I had NO IDEA a such thing even existed!! I WANT ONE!!! What a perfect way to go! With a 1/2 ton TV, its fine. We could work on it and use it as we are waiting for retirement - like add new appliances etc. Ever have one of those days where you cant stop thinking about something?? Well, this is going to be one of those days!! Now we need to find one in reasonable price and condition.

Do we know what years they were made?? Id like to find one of the newest models available. We've got the Casita to hold us over, and years till we go full time - so time is on our side for this!

THANK YOU
Don't get in to much of a frenzy. The Silver Clouds are few and far between and, like many other BigFoots, can get a bit on the heavy side.



Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Posts: 7,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Charlie, it is a little larger than that, and many find it worth the extra wt.

Lil Snoozy Specifications

Overall Dimensions
Length: 18 ft. 6 in. (encompasses tongue to rear of AC unit)
Height: 7 ft. 7 in.
Width: 8 ft. (from outside tire to outside tire)

Living Area Dimensions
Length: 14 ft. 6 in.
Interior Width: 6 ft. 6 in.
Interior head room: 6ft. 4 in.
Bed Size Area: 63” x 79” (34 sq. ft.)
Overall Living Space: 95.25 sq. ft.

Overall Weight: 2500 lbs.
Tongue Weight: 185 lbs.

The Snoozy comes with a "Jack Knife" sofa which will comfortably sleep 2 children or one adult, in conjunction with the full Queen bed the Lil Snoozy will sleep three to four very comfortabl
That 8', tire to tire, width has been referred to as a negative feature, in reference to being built like a "Speed Boat" it makes sense that it is, basically, on a boat trailer (LOL).



Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Steve Outlaw's Avatar
 
Trailer: Oliver
Posts: 671
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
...Fiberglass trailers are all constructed similar, most are 1/8" thick.. I own a Boler and Escape right now and they are both about 1/8" thick shells, I previously owned a 2008 Casita FD and I can assure you it was also 1/8" thick....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
...The Fiberglass in my Bigfoot is about 1/8 " thick... I believe all fiberglass trailers have very thin fiberglass material and all manufacturers use the cabinets etc. to add structural integrity.
While this may well be true of Boler's, Escape's, Casita's and Bigfoot's, not ALL fiberglass trailers are made this way. Minimum wall thicknesses in an Oliver are on the order of 3/8" to 1/2". High stress areas (like the roof and wheel wells to name a couple) are reinforced with strong but lightweight Nida-Core and measure from 1" to 2" thick.

And, in the spirit of full disclosure, I'll stipulate that Oliver's are heavy and expensive, but like the GEICO ad says "Everybody knows that..."
__________________
Steve and Tali - Dogs: Reacher and Rocky, Lucy and our beloved Storm, Maggie and Lucy (waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)
2008 Outlaw Oliver Legacy Elite & 2014 Outlaw Oliver Legacy Elite II
2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Posts: 1,542
Yes Steve, your Oliver is very well built. It has a double FIBERGLASS shell with some sort of material in between (nida-core ?) but that 1 to 2 inches is not solid fiberglass. My Bigfoot has walls and ceiling about 1 inch thick but they are not solid fiberglass. This thread started as a question of FIBERGLASS thickness, not total wall thickness. Lets not confuse the two. Does anyone what thickness the two FIBERGLASS shells are on an Oliver?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Steve Outlaw's Avatar
 
Trailer: Oliver
Posts: 671
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
...This thread started as a question of FIBERGLASS thickness, not total wall thickness. Lets not confuse the two. Does anyone what thickness the two FIBERGLASS shells are on an Oliver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
...Minimum wall thicknesses in an Oliver are on the order of 3/8" to 1/2"...
I'm sorry, perhaps I was not clear. Each of the two hulls are from 3/8" to 1/2" thick. In most places they do not touch one another. There is insulation attached to the inside wall of both shells and there is a dead space air gap between the two. Any places that Nida-Core is used, it is adhered to a layer of fiberglass of the above thicknesses.
__________________
Steve and Tali - Dogs: Reacher and Rocky, Lucy and our beloved Storm, Maggie and Lucy (waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)
2008 Outlaw Oliver Legacy Elite & 2014 Outlaw Oliver Legacy Elite II
2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 11,756
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Donna!!! I had NO IDEA a such thing even existed!! I WANT ONE!!! What a perfect way to go! With a 1/2 ton TV, its fine. We could work on it and use it as we are waiting for retirement - like add new appliances etc. Ever have one of those days where you cant stop thinking about something?? Well, this is going to be one of those days!! Now we need to find one in reasonable price and condition.

Do we know what years they were made?? Id like to find one of the newest models available. We've got the Casita to hold us over, and years till we go full time - so time is on our side for this!

THANK YOU
Bigfoot did not make very many of the Flying Clouds - pretty rare and as such a hot item - the one list is now sold.

Bigfoot are still being made and they make very nice trailers. The currently make a 17', 22' and a 25'. They are heavy trailers so you 1/2 ton is going to need to be a V8 for anything bigger than the 17', although I know some who own the 17' who will say it needs a V8 as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
charlsara's Avatar
 
Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Posts: 767
Registry
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The glass is not thick. It's two thin layers (less than 1/8" each) with some kind of honeycomb-type layer in between. The net result is comparable to other molded fiberglass trailers of similar size.
I have seen several erroneous posts about the hull construction on the LiL Snoozy. I have looked at mine through the door latch opening and drilled through the bottom when installing my dinette. I also have the piece of hull material that was under the water pump. This same material can be observed as a gray water tank shield under the trailer. The hull is constructed by laminating a rigid honeycomb material between two 1/8 fiberglass layers. This makes a 3/8 to 1/2 solid, hard material that is similar to the same thickness of fiberglass. There is no need for additional roof support. You can walk on the roof. If you don't believe it go to the LS Facebook page and watch the video of the ALS challenge. One of the employees dumps a five gallon container of ice and water on the owner who is standing on the ground. As David stated the floor is like the hull and has no wood in it. The trailer cabin is 14.5 feet long and it is not a lot heaver than a conventional fiberglass trailer.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
escape


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PO's 12"-Thick Mattress Precludes Cushions WendyW Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 10 07-01-2015 02:13 PM
3/4 inch thick shower mat? Thane Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 03-24-2011 05:59 AM
Love your memory foam? How thick? Peggy Modifications, Alterations and Updates 5 09-16-2010 07:27 AM
anyone know how thick is the Trillium's roof/ceiling? susan s. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 06-23-2010 09:46 AM
Sub-floor - How thick? Darren S W Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 03-21-2010 08:59 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.