Ethanol Caused Expensive Problems - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Ethanol Caused Expensive Problems

Just got my Yamaha generator back from the Yamaha Service Department yesterday. It kept running worse and worse then finally would not start. $73.00 to disassemble and clean the carburetor of residue caused by ethanol in the gasoline. Fortunately no parts had to be replaced. The service manager advised me to try to find ethanol free gasoline. He said the ethanol leaves a white residue that clings to parts in the carburetor and builds up, eventually interfering with their function. This happens in all small engines. It is especially bad for outboard motors. I already know that it causes a reduction in fuel economy by about 15% in my truck. I have verified that myself by checking mileage while using the 10% ethanol then checking it while using ethanol free gasoline. What good does it do to dilute gasoline with the stuff?

ETHANOL IS A GIANT FRAUD THAT HAS BEEN PERPETRATED ON THE NATION. IT ALSO HAPPENS TO BE DETRIMENTAL TO THE ENVIRONMENT.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
My good friend had to recently pay over $1000 to have four carburetors rebuilt on his (new to him) motorcycle. The Yamaha repair shop said ethanol gas caused the damage.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Just got my Yamaha generator back from the Yamaha Service Department yesterday. It kept running worse and worse then finally would not start. $73.00 to disassemble and clean the carburetor of residue caused by ethanol in the gasoline. Fortunately no parts had to be replaced. The service manager advised me to try to find ethanol free gasoline. He said the ethanol leaves a white residue that clings to parts in the carburetor and builds up, eventually interfering with their function. This happens in all small engines. It is especially bad for outboard motors. I already know that it causes a reduction in fuel economy by about 15% in my truck. I have verified that myself by checking mileage while using the 10% ethanol then checking it while using ethanol free gasoline. What good does it do to dilute gasoline with the stuff?

ETHANOL IS A GIANT FRAUD THAT HAS BEEN PERPETRATED ON THE NATION. IT ALSO HAPPENS TO BE DETRIMENTAL TO THE ENVIRONMENT.
Kinda like Global warming.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
My wife says she heard on the radio that it takes more than a gallon of gasoline (farm tractors, etc.) to produce a gallon of ethanol. It takes valuable cropland out of food production. Our tax dollars pay to subsidize this wasteful endeavor.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Hello everyone. This thread is taking a political turn. Please do feel free to discuss your experiences and concerns with the use of ethanol/gas blends but let's steer clear of the politics.

Regards,

Matt
Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
how do we find ethanol free gasoline?_____ every pump i go to has 10% ethanol.
Maybe a website?_______
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The use of Sta-Bil in small engines with every fill-up is said to offer protection when in service and not just for storage. We started using it on the recommendation of TORO for our new mower about 6-7 years ago and it still runs like new. Never had a tune-up
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #8

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z
how do we find ethanol free gasoline?_____ every pump i go to has 10% ethanol.
Maybe a website?_______
Joe
Many marinas offer ethanol free gas. Ethanol has caused a LOT of damage to boats due to fiberglass fuel tanks. Ethanol dissolves the resin, which gets into the combustion chamber. Pretty soon, you need a new engine. That's why we had a custom aluminum tank made for our 1975 Shamrock. It is too difficult to find gas without ethanol these days.

Talking to some Stihl salesmen, it seems that ethanol makes the mix oil drop out of gas. This is not good for two stroke engines. They recommended to shake my chainsaw a bit before starting it.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Wow, that's probably what's wrong with my Stihl.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #10

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The use of Sta-Bil in small engines with every fill-up is said to offer protection when in service and not just for storage. We started using it on the recommendation of TORO for our new mower about 6-7 years ago and it still runs like new. Never had a tune-up

Really this is critical for small engines, motorcycles etc. Especially as they are stored for periods of no use.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #11

Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
All,
I read recently that most/all of the higher octane gasolines don't have ethanol in them. They recommended if you were filling a tank that you figured might be left and not used for awhile to try the "better" gas .
I use gas stabalizer for the off season stuff and usually have little to no problems with the carbs, etc.

Using the better gas and stabilizer could be a cheap fix to this problem.
What's the price differenec of 87 octane and say 89 octane at the pumps? How much would it actually run to fill 1 or 2 - 5 gallon jugs of gas for your "toys" before storing them?

Wayne
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #12

Like the above posts I've been using Hi-Test and Sta-Bil Every time i fill my two five gallon containers and do this all year long as a safety precaution...... Had one small engine that would only run on half choke and added Sea-Foam which also helped but not perfect (I really should take the carb apart) Still would like to find Ethanol Free gas if possible.
Joe
Old 01-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Ethanol-free gas stations
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #14

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Ethanol is high octane I think. nerver heard it was not used with high octane gas. Could you check this?
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Kevin.... Great site. There was absolutely nothing in my area of Reading, Pa but i saved it and will reference it, also and if i can find a station around me will add it to the list.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #16

Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
DonDeutsch;

After reading that I actually did check the pumps out last time I filled.

In Canada - I believe that the retailers are required to post on the pumps if they are using ethanol or not and what % is ethanol. 87 octane generally has ethanol , 89 and premium, no sticker saying ethanol was used.
I'll try and remember to take a picture of the pumps next time I fill up.

I think 89 octane was 5 cents a liter more. Don't ask me how much more per US gal - too early to try and figure that out.

USA could be different.

Anybody?

Wayne
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDeutsch View Post
Ethanol is high octane I think. nerver heard it was not used with high octane gas. Could you check this?
Ethanol is required by law within large metropolitan areas around the U.S.
The result is that pure gasoline is hard to find elsewhere
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
There is a Green Sta-Bil made especially for outboard engines and it extends the life of gas and neutralizes the effects of ethanol. I use it in all my small motors.

The Red Sta-Bul is for extending the life of the gas and does not address the ethanol problem.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
There is a Green Sta-Bil made especially for outboard engines and it extends the life of gas and neutralizes the effects of ethanol. I use it in all my small motors.

The Red Sta-Bul is for extending the life of the gas and does not address the ethanol problem.
I've heard this before but will look for it.... the red i got in wally world. will have to look around i guess for the green and give it a shot.
thanks,
Joe
Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #20

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
My Honda 2000 is 8 y o. The only time I had a problem was when I let it sit for several months without Sta-Bil in the gas. The the fuel turned to green jello and I had to clean the carb. I don't think you can buy fuel in California without ethanol.
If you live in an extremely humid area you may have a problem because fuel with ethanol will absorb moisture. That's the reason Marinas sell ethanol free fuel.
If you have a 2 cycle engine that requires a mixture of fuel and oil moisture will cause the fuel to stratify.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote