European Caravan Awnings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I would love an awning like the ones that they have with the European caravans as they look like an extended room, but haven't found any sources for them. Anyone know where I can buy one? Thanks Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I looked at them a few years ago online from a company in Britain, with the idea of having them shipped here. Did you look into that?

CindyL
Old 05-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #3

Cindy, no, I am just in the search mode for finding one. Can't even find names of brands that's why I was wondering if they would even work on our eggs? Do you know of a brand name? Thanks Robin
Old 05-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita
See if this site works. I know they will do some custom fitting

http://www.rvstuffusa.com/addaroomltdbycar...ofcolorado.html

edit

here is the better link
http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/upgrades/AddaRoom.asp
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Hi Robin,
We were interested in the lightweight Euro porch awnings too.

Here are a couple links:
Outdoor Revolution
Awnings Direct

Unfortunately, Awnings Direct came back with a quote of 300 Pounds ($446) to ship to the US, so that pretty much ended the interest.

I wonder if our Canadian friends could get better shipping rates or know of a Canadian reseller?
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I had asked about this in another thread, and then Ivan Lander (from Italy) was going to look into it and get back to the thread. However I think that was just before the earthquake there, so perhaps they are busy with direct needs related to that.

Here is the thread; the awning stuff starts at post #24. Also, Lex posted some links (after #24) to some of the awning mfgrs.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...=33979&st=0

Raya

PS: I wanted to add that I was looking at "Flex-A-Rail" as a mounting for these, since they curve around (you can see on the Landers that the awning rail goes right around and down the side). One consideration with a typical 13-footer is that you would not be able to open the door much more than 90 degrees with the awning up. That probably would not bother me but I see that a lot of folks do open the door 180 degrees with their North American-style awnings in place.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the links. I remember Raya the post from Ivan. That was interesting and fun learning experience

I love this one from the link willar posted.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the links. I remember Raya the post from Ivan. That was interesting and fun learning experience

I love this one from the link willar posted.
That was the one I was interested in too Robin.
I was pretty surprised how much I was quoted for the shipping.
The last purchase I made from the U.K. was a custom made dry suit in 2003. That cost me ~$60 to ship and ~$8 duty when I picked it up at the post office. I was hoping for something similar.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #9

I used to have a Coleman Pop Up Camper and it came with a "room" that could attach quite snugly against the trailer when set up and really was a nice addition for extra space. Have any of you ever seen those?

Here's a Web link to their Accessories section and if you scroll down, you can see what they offer. http://www.colemantrailers.com/accessories

I had one and set it up a few times when we were going to be in a spot for long enough to justiify the effort. I'll bet one could adapt one to work with a Fiberglass trailer. They do require an awning attached to the trailer. It wouldn't surprise me to find one on Craig's list. In fact, I'm going to look right after I post this.

At least it's a USA option.

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #10

I knew it! Here's a link to an Add a Room on Craig's list. http://cosprings.craigslist.org/rvs/1144573077.html

BTW, they have a zippered door but it's not real obvious in the photos.

EKW
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #11

Willar, how much do you venture to guess the shipping would be? It's got that curved rounded cute factor thing going. I just like the ones on the European caravans, they look different from our square box look. LOL...............

Thanks Keith for the links, I don't know what it is about the European ones but they just look like they belong with our eggs versus the square ones available in this country. I will probably end up with something square just for the fact that shipping is gonna most likely be pricey.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:39 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
You might try ebay. I have shopped from both British ebay and German ebay, especially when looking for Eurovan parts. Since only a few were ever sent here, it is hard to find things for them. I just ask the seller if they will ship abroad. I got missing headrests and the back bed for our Eurovan that way. Be sure to search for caravan.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/

There is even one there that has free shipping: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/caravan-awning_W0QQi...%3A1%7C294%3A50

All you have to do is go pick it up!

CindyL
Old 05-03-2009, 05:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 1985 Companion
Registry
Try www.justkampers.com.

Karen
Karen K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
The advertising page, that comes with the Sat morning paper here, says that WalMart has a 10x10 dining shelter with roll up sides for $109 Cdn.
We have used one for several years as an outdoor living room and kitchen. If I place it carefully I can extend one roll-up side to the trailer and cover the doorway and the cook table that attaches to the side of the trailer. Or it can be set up separately if it needs to be spaced differently on the campsite.

Roll the sides down and it becomes a great privacy shelter at night for the porta potty. Cover the thing with a blanket during the day and use it to sit on.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #15

hmmmm, I was just thinking (Scary I know!) But do any of you think a local awning co could make one? There is actually an awning co here in town that I trust, They did a awning project for my Mom's home that was pretty tricky and it came out beautiful! I suppose I could take a pic of what I want to them and see if they can make one. I would not have them apply the awning rail, I would take the Casita to a rv guy here who has worked on Casitas awnings. Hmmmmm, now I am really thinking. Send inspiration pics of European Awnings if you have them. Thanks Robin
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Willar, how much do you venture to guess the shipping would be? It's got that curved rounded cute factor thing going. I just like the ones on the European caravans, they look different from our square box look. LOL...............
Hi Robin,
That's the one I was quoted "about 300 pounds" , which is $446 these days, to ship to the U.S .
They do have a cool factor, plus they are quite light weight compared to a roll up awning and separate screen room. Some of them store attached to the awning rail like a bag awning for travel.
I'd like of forgotten about them until you mentioned it...but Norma wants some kind of screen room this summer- maybe I'll keep trying.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:54 AM   #17

Trailer:
Yes, shipping rates from Europe to US are high, sometimes twice the price of shipping the same item by the same carrier from the US to Europe - I've never known why!

If anyone wants some help with sourcing/shipping an awning from Britain, let me know - I live 2 miles from this place: Awnings Direct

However, I think there are a few issues:
- the majority of caravan awnings are intended to provide protection mainly for rainy conditions, not shade for sunny conditions, so they tend to have clear plastic windows, limited ventilation and limited screening;
- most awnings are designed to slide into the standard awning rail fitted to most Euro caravans, so that would need to be added to an egg;
- all awnings are designed to work with a vertical-sided caravan, so the curved side of some eggs could be a problem.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Robin G... Have you looked at the Bag Awnings and Add-A-Room from bag awnings & add-a-rooms I don't know how well they would fit an "EGG" but worth a look.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #19

Andrew, Thank you so much for the info about the Caravan Awnings, I didn't even think about them not fitting the curve aspect of my egg. Very enlightning information! Also it makes sense that awnings there would be built for wet weather versus the need for shade and air movement required here most of the time. I had checked into shipping, which in some cases was almost as much if not more than the cost of the awning. Again, Thank You for such valuable information.

Alf, I have seen the Bag awning info here a lot, so that is a option. I just like the curvy asspect of the caravan awnings. It's was the cute factor thing I was seeking. But after the info Andrew posted about the caravan awnings being made more for their weather versus our weather, it makes me rethink the cute factor.

Hmmmmm, now I think I will look into the local awning company to see if they can make one that looks like the caravan awnings but more friendly to our Hot weather issues here. I am on a quest for something different than the usual awnings. We'll see if I suceed in finding a cute awning. LOL.......... Thanks Everyone for all the info. Robin
Old 05-05-2009, 02:40 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Robin,
Try A boat canvas place as they are use to doing different shapes and size,s.

Bill K

Quote:
Hmmmmm, now I think I will look into the local awning company to see if they can make one that looks like the caravan awnings but more friendly to our Hot weather issues here. I am on a quest for something different than the usual awnings. We'll see if I suceed in finding a cute awning. LOL.......... Thanks Everyone for all the info. Robin
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote