Excitement approaching 79 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2021, 03:30 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Summerdale, AL to Elko, NV. We are thinking of avoiding TX in our drive west since we've driven across it 20 or so times.

heading northwest thru the middle of the nation generally avoiding Interstates like our recent travels thru FL. Often there are former main roads that parallel interstates though our route does not have to parallel an interstate. We do like new and interesting and always willing to go a longer route for stimulation.

if you have any suggestions don't hesitate. Thank you.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #22

Florida
FOOD ON OUR TRIP. Our friends are forever suggesting we can't cook in our trailer. When they come inside are amazed by the counter space. We have cooked three primary meals in 5 days on the road. One meal at each stop.

The first night we had chicken Parmasen Ravioli, Ginny made a light red sauce to go with it.

The third night we made a Smoked Salmon Pasta dish in cream sauce.

The fifth day we made Salmon cakes. The piece of Smoked Salmon weighed a lb and we split between the two salmon dishes.

Our 2 cubic foot fridge doesn't offer a lot of storage volume so we usually eat the leftovers the next day so tomorrow it will be more Salmon cakes. They were really good.

One of the benefits of traveling is local fruits and vegetables. While in Bushnell, our first stop, we went to Shady Orchards and bought some peaches, I should say off the trees great peaches. We are at least six a day. Every breakfast was a cut up peach in Cherrios and peaches for desert at every meal. Just like I remember peaches to be.

The Scamp has it's warts at 30 but I received an email from a 30 year RV friend asking me if it was a new one...Scamps are great.

Picture at Seminole Lake Corp of Eng Eastbank RV park on the FL/GA border.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210518_164624.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	141002

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-21-2021, 07:54 AM   #23

Florida
Panini Pete's in Fairhope, AL. This is an absolute must. Get the banana Beignets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210521_083738.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	141038Click image for larger version

Name:	20210521_082518.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	141039Click image for larger version

Name:	20210521_081434.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	141040

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-21-2021, 12:25 PM   #24

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

I'm amazed that Newfoundland is not open. Sometimes I think governments like their new found power.

Safe Travels when you can.

Norm and Ginny
Hi Norm and Ginny, I've not been on this forum much lately so missed this thread until today. Good to see you back posting and traveling.

We've still yet to get to NL. You used to email us your NL travel log. Even as Canadians we are banned from traveling to the Maritimes and NL. In fact we currently cannot even cross into Ontario so have not seen our son and family in Thunder Bay since last summer. We had hoped for a Maritimes trip last year and who knows when we can make it. And of course the US is out, first time since having the trailer we've not been south in the winter!

And speaking of Covid Manitoba has hit the two worst days of the pandemic, 603 new cases yesterday and 594 today for our population of 1.4 million that's a lot and tomorrow we're again in full lockdown. I'd comment further on all this but want to avoid that banned political discussion.

Beth and Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:55 PM   #25

Florida
Beth and Adrian. At least we can travel in the USA. I've written twice to the NL tourist bureau. We both are vaccinated and still can't go. Most people who get it are surviving. We carry hydroxychloriquine and take a similar herbal/zinc every other day.

Maybe next year. In the interim I feel bad for those dependent on tourism.

In the mean time we're looking forward to a return trip to Nevada.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-23-2021, 02:17 PM   #26

Florida
'ON THE ROAD INFLATION' It's been over a year since we were last on the road. It's clear that inflation will become a travel factor. For example gas has gone up at least 40% since January, nothing (to do with the pipeline problem). While preparing my Scamp for the road I need some lumber and was shocked by the price. As well definitely food prices are up.

Since we originally planned to travel to Canada I keep an eye on the value of the dollar and exchange rates. the dollars down in value and not faring well against all other major currencies. As well I've noticed camping fees up in NL.

Unfortunately our national policy is for higher inflation and higher gas prices.

Of course we're relatively light users of gasoline towing a Scamp typically getting 18-19 mpg. Yet it's our single largest expense. Fuel for a typical day's driving is the order of $30-40. Not counting non-towing miles to $450-600 a month, or for this 6-7 month trip about $3000. (These numbers make sense because we usually tow only every other day.)

As to camping fees we've averaged under $15 a night for all of May paying $11 a night for 9 of the 16 nights until the 31st by staying at COE Parks.

Just a few thoughts based upon our first 10 days on the road. Of course we're getting to old to worry about the money, it's time that will be the limiter (unless inflation really goes crazy).

I will say being back on the road is great. We've had to fix 5 little problems with the rig. Not bad considering it had not been on the road in 3 years

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-25-2021, 11:29 AM   #27

Florida
GREAT COE CAMPGROUND. Wallace Creek on Lake Enid in MS is a great campground, the best COE we've been to so far. It even has full hookups, rare in COEs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-25-2021, 11:44 AM   #28

Florida
LOVE THAT ANTI-SWAY BAR.
In 13 years of towing small trailers are anti-sway bar has helped us thru bad situations.

Today driving North thru MS on rural Rt 19 with virtually no traffic a green GMC wagon head into our lane, coming right towards us. On this road there are no shoulders and a steep drop off. I sweved to the right. and got by him. The Scamp visibly waggled a couple of times but straightened out. Virtually no effect felt in the Oddyssey.

The two other events were more serious. In the first We had a brakes to the floor when a truck pulled out and stopped blocking both lanes. We managed a hardstop and the trailer stayed directly behind us.

in the second, due to a previous owner's modification of the ball's receiver, the receiver came off the ball on a farm road. The anti-sway bar twisted and held everything together.

It's so easy to install and use I would not be without ours hours, no pun intended.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #29

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I agree about the anti sway bar. Inexpensive, easy to install and use, and just a nice bit of insurance. On the other hand I've never felt the need for a weight distribution hitch on our little trailers.

Walt
Old 06-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #30

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
CA
Hello from EllPea

Hello Norm and Ginny,
I've been away intermittently and have not seen posts from you two, so have been hoping you're OK and still having fun.

If you're coming all the way to Nevada, you should consider one more bump west and enjoy the Redwoods. Although, to get there you'd have to endure the summer heat waves we're having (around 113 in NoCA today)

Safe travels!