Extreme RVs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #1

Name: Daniel
Trailer: currently shopping
Louisiana
Extreme RVs

There's a new episode of Extreme RVs on Travel Channel tonight at 9pm.

Featuring Tim Heintz of Heintz designs restoring a rare 1957 Airfloat!!!

You don't want to miss it.
Dgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thanks for the "heads-up" I'll watch it tonight! Lookee here, you can stay in a 1957 Airfloat and other vintage trailers at the Shady Dell in Arizona!
The Shady Dell | 1957 Airfloat
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
What a beautiful restoration! I can't get over the drop-down secretary desk that transforms into a dining room table that seats 7! How about the full-size refrigerator with alternating door opening?! The '57 Airfloat beats any of those modern Monster RVs any day!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Not to be a complainer (Who Me?) But having to wade through all of the commercials and getting an unrealistic 1.2 million dollar Behemoth Motorhome put in my face for about 30 minutes, only get about an 8 minute peek at the Airfloat was a bit of a drag. BUT... I had recorded it and made good use of the FF button.

3 Questions I would have liked to have answers for were: a) What was the total investment, b) Where, if anywhere, can it now be seen and, c) How much does it weigh ?

But is is a beautiful example of long lost craftsmanship.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Gypsy Time Travelers

We were in SunSet Campground in Death Valley in January of this year. This guy showed up and spent about week there while we were there.
Check out their web page gypsy time travelers

This is one extreme RV. Look at your trailer and think about an RV weighing 23,000 lbs that right 11.5 tons.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
This guy showed up and spent about week there while we were there.
Check out their web page gypsy time travelers

This is one extreme RV. Look at your trailer and think about an RV weighing 23,000 lbs that right 11.5 tons.
Although two or three times the weight of a typical egg and its tug, this weight is typical for a basic large Class A; the top end of regular production Class A models are much heavier.

Although Freightliner medium-duty trucks are not often used for (Class C) motorhomes, both smaller and even larger trucks are common. Freightliner FL-50/60 and newer Business Class M2 trucks are popular tugs for large 5th wheel trailers... due to their common nature, I don't know if I would call any of them "extreme".

The Gypsy Time Traveler rig is pretty wild, regardless of its weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Although two or three times the weight of a typical egg and its tug, this weight is typical for a basic large Class A; the top end of regular production Class A models are much heavier.

Although Freightliner medium-duty trucks are not often used for (Class C) motorhomes, both smaller and even larger trucks are common. Freightliner FL-50/60 and newer Business Class M2 trucks are popular tugs for large 5th wheel trailers... due to their common nature, I don't know if I would call any of them "extreme".

The Gypsy Time Traveler rig is pretty wild, regardless of its weight.
Brian, I worked for several designing parts for the trucking industry. Try to find a 23,000 lb motor home. I've been up close to Florence, it's pretty impressive and yes I would call it extreme. Now please go find somebody else to always try to argue with.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Try to find a 23,000 lb motor home. I've been up close to Florence, it's pretty impressive and yes I would call it extreme.
I agree that this rig is extreme in design - just not in weight.

I have a pretty ordinary Class A motor home, which weighs 22,000 pounds when loaded, and that's all I was trying to say - I don't think it's extreme, because it's common and not at the extreme end of the weight range. To find a 23,000 pound motorhome - or a heavier one - look at a typical diesel pusher. Diesels with tag axles are commonly double that weight. Maybe people don't realize how hefty these things are.

Among travel trailers, our RVs are extreme - extremely small
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote