F 150 question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #21

Name: Chester
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
If this thread is still about the Ford F150 pick up, I would like to add my opinion. It's been over a year since I bought our Ford. I have always been a Chevy guy and I have to say that I am very happy with our new truck. The aluminum body with the additional payload is one of the reasons that I went with Ford and I do not regret it.
chetandren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetandren View Post
If this thread is still about the Ford F150 pick up, I would like to add my opinion. It's been over a year since I bought our Ford. I have always been a Chevy guy and I have to say that I am very happy with our new truck. The aluminum body with the additional payload is one of the reasons that I went with Ford and I do not regret it.
Hi: chetandren... Yep It's still about Ford F150's. I just priced one out my style... Lariat, Supercab, 2.7L V6/ trailer tow pkg, two tone white/caribou, ceramic leather, and much more. Sounds good but $pendy!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #23
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Ford was just smarter than GM and realized aluminum was the way to go. From what I understand, GM would be making aluminum bodied truck's right now but Ford locked up the available aluminum supply. I question GM's engineering sense. In cooperation with Ford, they develop a 10 speed transmission. Ford puts it in the F150 to improve truck fuel mileage. I have read GM is going to put it in the Camarillo. Doesn't seem logical to me. And I was told 2018 or 2019 for the aluminum Chevy trucks.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:37 AM   #24

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
My experience with the F-150 has been very positive and was documented in the following thread:

Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost vs. Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 for tow vehicle
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=79137

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #25

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
And I was told 2018 or 2019 for the aluminum Chevy trucks.
And again, when that happens, how silly is Chevy going to look concerning their current batch of commercials bashing aluminum beds?

I guess you go with what you've got at the time, so you set up silly scenarios that highlight high impact damage.

There's alot going for the Silverado. It's a shame they don't just highlight that.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:10 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
F 150 question

I don't think Chevy will look silly. In fact, I don't think it matters at all. Marketing is visceral and ephemeral. It appeals to the gut, not reason, and is therefore soon forgotten.

Chevy knows well there is a certain segment of the truck buying population that mistrusts change. I'm sure the ad will bring in a few sales. That's not silly; that's survival.

Wasting time watching ads- or discussing them- now that's silly!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #27

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Wasting time watching ads- or discussing them- now that's silly!
I dunno, not always Jon. They can provide some insights into the culture of the time, what advertisers think of the general public, and sometimes - rarely - be quite entertaining.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #28
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
While the Chevy commercial was the motivation for my post, I'm sorry I mentioned it as it has proved to be a distraction from my question. I'm glad everyone loves their Ford but I suspect they would feel the same if the body were steel. Some have stated they think Fords experiment is the future. They may be correct. More plastic, thinner paint, aluminum etc. all produce lighter and thus more fuel efficient vehicles to meet government efficiency requirements.

That said, what I'm curious about is how the aluminum is holding up. While aluminum doesn't "rust", it does corrode. The fact that the aluminum body is attached to a steel chassis, most likely with steel fasteners produces a dissimilar metals situation that Ford must have addressed. And salt worsens the situation. Any issues? Also painting aluminum is more challenging than painting steel. Ford used aluminum panels on earlier vehicles with reported paint issues. They apparently did a lot of research here.

I'm not brand bashing here. I'd ask the same questions no matter who made the truck. It's an experiment and I'm just curious how it's going.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #29

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
British Columbia
I'm not going to look, but surely Ford has an FAQ that answers most, if not all, of your questions.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #30

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The steel manufacturers are working on high strength thinner steel with a nickle flash and galvanizing for corrosion resistance and low weight to combat the aluminum "threat".
My guess it that the response to the aluminum truck will be lighter vehicles overall and we will all benefit in the future.
A point lost on many is the competition and the striving to meet higher fuel standards etc have driven the market to produce the best cars and trucks ever.
They are the most expensive, but higher quality and seem to last longer.
It seems that almost any car will go over 200,000 miles with routine care and provide better performance while doing it.
Not a Ford or Chevy, but my Chrysler Town and Country has 283 hp and good torque at low rpms and gets close to 30 mpg not towing. Pretty good for a Mini-van!.
Higher strength lighter weight steel is being designed into new cars as we speak.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #31

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post

That said, what I'm curious about is how the aluminum is holding up. While aluminum doesn't "rust", it does corrode. The fact that the aluminum body is attached to a steel chassis, most likely with steel fasteners produces a dissimilar metals situation that Ford must have addressed. And salt worsens the situation. Any issues? Also painting aluminum is more challenging than painting steel. Ford used aluminum panels on earlier vehicles with reported paint issues. They apparently did a lot of research here.

I'm not brand bashing here. I'd ask the same questions no matter who made the truck. It's an experiment and I'm just curious how it's going.
Will let you know in 3 years or so on that front Raz. I love my F150 3.6 Eco on many fronts!! 10 speed trans & max tow package gets about 4 mpgs better when towing or not than my 2011 v6 Nissan Fronter did.

One of the big reasons for changing trucks even though the Nissan had low mileage was a concern over rust levels. Even the Nissan dealer acknowledged it had a fairly high level of rust. I do use it in the winter months on the rocky mountain passes that have been salted & do live by the ocean.... but that little truck had far higher level of underbody rust ( as well as on bumpers & anywhere there was a small paint chip on the body) than any of my previous vechiles all subjected to same conditions & in some cases for a few years longer. The Nissan did BTW also have the after market under body coating added to it when brand new which for the most part appeared to have done nothing to prevent the rust. it also had a factory plastic bed liner.

On the F150 I got the factory sprayed bed liner (always wondered if water gets trapped under the plastic bed liners) as will as the after market underbody coating added.....so we will just have to wait and see how it compairs to the Nissan on the rust front..... but for now I can say the Ford wins hands down on mileage, towing, as well as daily drive comforts.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #32

Registry
Towin' in the "Rust Belt".

Hi: All... Not sure how the new F150 All Alum. body will stand up. Time will tell and by then I'll be in line for a new tug. So far my 2010 Nissan Fronty has less rust on it than my trailer. One tow thru Ohio when they were expecting freezing rain and the trailer frame is rusty. I have my truck Krowned every fall and I'm thinking of applying it to the trailer frame as well. They sell aerosol cans and 2-3 should do it!!! I've yet to wax it too. http://www.krown.com
I do like the look of the F150 though
2 pic's one new and one after 6 BDays!!!
Attached Thumbnails
my best side.jpg   P1040551.jpg  

Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 AM   #33

Name: Roy
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Registry
We love our 2016 "Ecobeast"! Just got back to Texas. Pulled our 25' Bigfoot to Wyoming (Grand Tetons/Yellowstone) and never had any problems. Went up some pretty steep grades with the cruise set on 65 and consistently held that speed. With 365 hp and 420 fp of torque, power was never an issue.
Roy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #34

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Just two side comments related to the OP original query. We added DYI no-drill WeatherTech mudflaps to our 2016 F-150, and I found it interesting that the mudflaps came with special washers to put against the aluminum body to avoid direct contact between the aluminum body panels and the mud flaps' steel mounting bolts. And just for our own comfort, we had the bed sprayed with Line-X then added a thick rubber mat to minimize gas cans and such from sliding around. Prior to Line-X and the mat, I felt I needed to tip-toe around when walking on the bed and gently lay heavy objects down (just me being overly cautious). Now I walk around in the bed without a care don't hesitate to just throw things (within reason) in the back. Not saying any of that was needed, but they did give me peace of mind treating the truck like a truck. I'm guessing I'll get my money back out of it at trade-in time.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #35

Name: Kim
Trailer: Uhaul
California
Registry
2016 Ford 150 XLT to 2017 Nissan Frontier

Just turned in the 2016 2.7 Ecoboost Ford 150 XLT for a 2017 Nissan Frontier. The 150 was absolutely the most comfortable truck I have driven, towed like a dream, and had all the bells and whistles. What I didn't need was the size for everyday driving, the drop in price by one half after just one year. The Frontier is just a standard truck, midsize, easy to drive and park, and quite zippy. We will take it on its first tow trip this coming 4th of July weekend. I am escited to see how it does towing Seascape!

Can't go wrong with the 150 Ecobosst if it is the size you want and need. Have fun!
California Bay Area
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #36

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... Not sure how the new F150 All Alum. body will stand up. Time will tell and by then I'll be in line for a new tug. So far my 2010 Nissan Fronty has less rust on it than my trailer. One tow thru Ohio when they were expecting freezing rain and the trailer frame is rusty. I have my truck Krowned every fall and I'm thinking of applying it to the trailer frame as well. They sell aerosol cans and 2-3 should do it!!! I've yet to wax it too. http://www.krown.com
I do like the look of the F150 though
2 pic's one new and one after 6 BDays!!!
Alf,
No doubt about it, your rig looks Goood. It's what sold us on the 5.0.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
Alf,
No doubt about it, your rig looks Goood. It's what sold us on the 5.0.
Hi: Cliff Hotchkiss... And you're happy with yours?? Lets see more pic's Eh?
Old 06-24-2017, 05:24 AM   #38

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Cliff Hotchkiss... And you're happy with yours?? Lets see more pic's Eh?
Just got back from Lake Champlain, Grand Isle Park. Vermont hills aren't the Rockies but ,I think a bit of a test. Set the cruise on 60 mph the little 2.7 Echoboost had no trouble maintaining it up and down the hills. I was really surprised at the engine braking for a small motor. Mileage averaged better than 16 mpg until we hit 3 different traffic jams and detoured through some city traffic to avoid a 10 mile backup. When we went shopping for a truck I was surprised at cost of Nissons and Toyotas, no bargains here. Found out that they wouldn't work for us anyway as we travel with a 90 lb dog and the rear seat on the compact trucks, even the Colorado, are too small. The F 150 Crew cab with 2/3 of the rear seat removed works great for him. New truck, new trailer Life is Good.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #39

Arkansas
Registry
Our experiences are similar, Cliff. Towing our Escape 19, we don't even have to think about tackling a mountain pass at highway speed, or the downgrade on the other side. We've been all over the Rockies with it. We keep it in Tow/Haul mode most of the time.