Factory Tours in BC for new fiberglass trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2020, 08:03 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: shopping
Leola
Factory Tours in BC for new fiberglass trailer?

Greetings!

I am interested in purchasing a fiberglass trailer. I desire one of the larger options. The Bigfoot 25RT, the upcoming Escape 23 with twins, and the upcoming Northern-Lite Boreal trailer with twin beds. I really do not need a trailer until the spring of 2021. With the pandemic it would be almost impossible to see a the new Escape and Northern-Lite trailer where I live in PA this fall. Airline tickets from Philadelphia to Vancouver are cheap now for travel this fall. I was thinking to do factory tours at Bigfoot, Escape, and Northern Lite to help in the decision making process. I would vacation in the area for a few days in between factory tours. I need a vacation! Has anyone ever visitied all three companies?

I do have concerns about traveling during the pandemic, and I realize the borders are now closed. I am hopeful the pandemic subsides to make this trip possible. I am interested in any insights from folks that have visited more than one company, or anyone else with thoughtful comments.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:55 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Welcome Mark,

So, you are essentially looking at a 23, a 25 and a 27 footer, (as "generally prevailing" custom includes the overall length), two of which are currently in development. Larger trailers come with more space but require correspondingly larger sites. If you are oriented towards the older sites at the national parks, longer trailers will be more limiting, as they can be in high-season Florida and other destinations. A fifth-wheel configuration would mitigate this, but it sounds like your sights are set on a larger cabin. Joining the Airstream forum and RV.net will expose you to the views of more folks who deal with larger, heavier trailers than commonly prevail here.

I suggest basing the tow vehicle's capacity on the trailer's GVWR plus whatever additional margin might make you comfortable. In particular, limitations imposed by the rated payload capacity, particularly on highly-equipped trucks, can make the rated towing capacity unobtainable. I believe you would be best served by understanding and carefully reviewing every rated capacity in the whole alphabet-soup. Regrettably, while you may meet salespeople who are more knowledgeable than you, none will ever have your interests at heart as much as you will. So, it's caveat emptor.

These are three different manufacturers, all respected, all with different approaches. We shot over a hundred pictures during our factory visit, many with a tape measure in the frame. But the basic, and somewhat surprising to us, decision was made there on the factory floor; the pictures generally served as much as mementos as planning tools.

You have some enviable choices lying ahead of you. I would enjoy hearing more about how all this plays out.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #3

Name: Mark
Trailer: shopping
Leola
Thanks for your guidance Mike. I am hoping to view a Bigfoot 25RQ next week. I don't see how I can view all three possible trailers unless I travel to BC. I do not feel like I could place an order on any trailer without spending sometime evluating all three trailers and then doing a through compare and contrast. Even if some rally happens at some point this fall it is highly unlikely I could view the 23 Escape or the Northern Lite.

I will wait on purchasing a TV until I pick a trailer, but I will go with at least a 3/4 ton pickup. I have read many postings from folks who tow with a 1/2 ton, but I have read more posting from others who prefer the 3/4 ton models.

I was looking at flights last night, but I can not in good faith purchase a plane of ticket with the current pandemic. I work in healthcare and have seen some of the negative consequences Covid.

I am hopeful some more folks weigh in on visiting the factories.

Mark
Mark Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Campbell View Post
I don't see how I can view all three possible trailers unless I travel to BC.
I am not clear that there is anything to see yet beyond the Bigfoot as the Escape 23 is still just conceptual as far as I am aware. The last I looked, Escape was still polling folks concerning six different designs to determine which they might build. Northern Lite "says" they are moving forward to deliver later this year. So, be sure to check in with the manufacturers.

Meanwhile, you might try looking locally at some non-fiberglass trailers which are similarly sized to see if that gives you a better sense for the amount of space you are contemplating. Lance has something two feet shorter that the Northern Lite. Northwood / Arctic Fox / Nash might be something to look into.

I hadn't realized when I posted that you'd already gotten responses to another thread addressing some of the things I mentioned such as the limitations imposed by payload. And, yes, I suspect you might be best-served by going with a 3/4 ton. And don't worry about the two inches in the garage, a 3/4T will easily move a wall that far. ; )

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote