Family of 6 in 13'? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: In the Market for a Scamp
Michigan
Family of 6 in 13'?

Trying to get a few ideas/opinions about trailers (sorry for all the threads) because I am having a hard time finding a trailer and have zero experience with trailers (never camped in one let alone owned one).

Do you guys think it is possible/smart to buy a 13' trailer with a family of 6? We know we don't want a bathroom regardless of trailer size and do like being outside when we camp. We want a trailer for ease of setup/packing/being ready to go and for those rainy days. With a Scamp we could have the dinette bed for the adults and then try to extend the bunks, build out a triple bunk or floor cot for the kids. The sleeping situation would be tight and would take some work. The kids now are 7, 4, 2, and a newborn in 2 weeks so hopefully as they get bigger they migrate to a tent. But what about daily camp living? On a rainy day or a quick setup up or family time could we all hang out in a 13'? Haven't really been in too many small trailers and videos often make them seem either too small or surprising spacious.
Sorry for all the post just trying to figure everything out.

Nick
nam11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Personally, I would never try it in a 13' trailer. Maybe two kids. Armadillo makes 3 bunks in the front so 5 could fit. You could not camp in very cold weather or condensation would be an issue with all the expelled breath in there.

For six to hang out in a 13' trailer could be done, but after a while it could get bothersome. For the most part it is quite easy to set up a covered area outside.

Why not consider a larger trailer? You are right that kids will like to tent it for the most part once they get into their teens a ways, though you can't bank on it.

To be honest, there are not many moulded fibreglass trailers that claim to sleep six, even if some of them are small.

An Escape 19 with a bunk option comfortably sleeps 5, and you could quite easily sleep 6 if you put 3 on the full sized queen, two on the dinette and one on the bunk.

Keep firing away with questions, it is a good way to figure things out. Another is to hit up a moulded fibreglass rally, where you can check out a lot of different trailers, and see what you think would, or would not, work for you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #3

Name: Nick
Trailer: In the Market for a Scamp
Michigan
We like the Scamp 16' due to weight/price/ability to mod easily. Without a bathroom we have come up with some ideas that would sleep 6 that would be some building of bed extensions/hallway cots etc. I know that every FG trailer will be tight just wondering if people had experience. The condensation problem I never really thought of, thanks something I will have to look into.
nam11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Do you guys think it is possible/smart to buy a 13' trailer with a family of 6?

Might be a little tight.
Attached Thumbnails
_20180428_113032.JPG  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:49 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Smile

NO WAY!!!
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
One solution is to put some of the kids in a tent. My guess they will fight over who's gets to be in the tent.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #7

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Nick, we are only 2 people and if money, and storage space on our property were not considerations I would go longer than our current 17'

Tents certainly are options, and the older kids would feel more independent but during rain or very cold weather a 13' IMHO would be way too small.
If you like camping frequently, make it as comfortable and enjoyable as possible .

I would suggest going to a rally , with all the family, and ask the owners of the trailers if you could all go inside , just to get a feel. Of course a few minutes will be nothing like 24 hrs. Some storms can be pesty!

Mark
Old 04-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Practice in your car tonight
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
A tent trailer would be my suggestion. Roomy, easy to tow and relatively inexpensive.

13 footer - nope.
Randy P. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #10

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
I wonder how many shoes that trip would include? Reminds me of a trip I made with my family (total of 7) to Mammoth Cave Park as a kid (ca. 1959) in an Elkhart TT - I believe the trailer was named "Gotel" that my Dad had rented. We had 3 days of heavy rain and I will always remember the smell...
Having said that, It could be a good bonding experience.
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
If you're willing to put the kids in tents outside, sure. Otherwise, no way, no how. In fact, I doubt there is a small light molded fiberglass trailer out there that can sleep 6 comfortably and practically.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
A tent trailer would be my suggestion. Roomy, easy to tow and relatively inexpensive.

13 footer - nope.
This is a great recommendation if you wish to remain small for towing. The bed space in a tent trailer is just as big as the living space, providing not only lots of sleeping space, but a place for kids to hang out as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
One of our Scamping friends has a 19ft Scamp, that "SLEEPS 8 — 2 at a time"
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #14

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam11 View Post
Trying to get a few ideas/opinions about trailers (sorry for all the threads) because I am having a hard time finding a trailer and have zero experience with trailers (never camped in one let alone owned one).

Do you guys think it is possible/smart to buy a 13' trailer with a family of 6? We know we don't want a bathroom regardless of trailer size and do like being outside when we camp. We want a trailer for ease of setup/packing/being ready to go and for those rainy days. With a Scamp we could have the dinette bed for the adults and then try to extend the bunks, build out a triple bunk or floor cot for the kids. The sleeping situation would be tight and would take some work. The kids now are 7, 4, 2, and a newborn in 2 weeks so hopefully as they get bigger they migrate to a tent. But what about daily camp living? On a rainy day or a quick setup up or family time could we all hang out in a 13'? Haven't really been in too many small trailers and videos often make them seem either too small or surprising spacious.
Sorry for all the post just trying to figure everything out.

Nick
A pop up might work for a few years (we did it) where there are 2 full sized beds when opened up and a lot of walking around room inside with awning or tent attached at the door for added space, pottie, cooler, bikes, storage. Plenty of room to read, play on the beds in rainy weather. Then get a bigger FB down the road.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #15

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Many good ideas.

Depending on the tow vehicle, you can sleep some of the kids (or the adults!) inside that. If a van, a station wagon, or a truck with a canopy, then sure, at least two will fit in there. Still, it's going to be tight.

Consider renting a trailer to find out how a 13' works with six. I'd say spend the first night in it in your own driveway for best results. Many areas do have someone who offers them for rent. Also, there are van tailgate type tents that slip over the hatch on some vans...two and even three area tents, too, fairly spacious. But it depends on the van you have.

BEST
Kai
Old 04-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #16

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
There are five sleeping spaces in a Scamp 16 layout 7, and a newborn could sleep with parents, or put a small pack and play in the center aisle. We have a family of four and traded our Scamp 13 with front bunks for this layout this past summer.

Several rainy days and nights, we would have 6-8 people inside of our Scamp 13, playing board games and trying to stay dry (this was before our friends bought their own camper and were miserable in their tent.) You can comfortably sit four at the table and three to four on the sofa when it isn't in the bunk position, but there isn't room for anyone to be moving around or switching places. You'll also find that storage space is incredibly limited and requires moving people out of the way to access under bunk and under dinette storage.

I grew up camping with my family of seven in a tent trailer, and it always felt spacious and roomy.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
With the kids so young, you could sleep two on the bottom bunk (head to foot ), the oldest one on the top bunk, and then build a small bunk over the mom & pop sleeping area for the infant. There was a write-up in an earlier posting of someone modifing their scamp 13’ with the infant bunk. Use the “search” toward the top of this page and a drop down with two search boxes (use the bottom box for better results) to find the posting.
Best of luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:20 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Do be aware that the rear bed is usually a 3/4 size, not a full. It is difficult for two adults to sleep there. Then there is the problem of night time potty trips...
Our 13' is just the right size for us two.
We used to camp in one tent with our 5 kids which became two tents and a dining fly.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:27 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Family of 6 in 13'?

Possible? Yes. Practical? Not so much.

2- and 4-year-old on upper bunk (sleeping opposite ways, need a good safety rail), dad on lower, mom with newborn and 7-year-old on dinette bed.

One tidbit: a mattress sized for a portable crib (38" long) just fits on the floor. Problem is there is no place left to walk and no good place to store the mattress during the day.

Bigger problem Is how fast kids grow. They will outgrow the arrangement I described in a season or two. Will they be ready for a tent? Will you want to bother with a tent? Until they're old enough to set it up and take it down themselves, a tent makes more work for you.

Depending on the vehicle, your tow vehicle might have the answer. Our Pilot folds down flat to sleep 2 easily. Less work than a tent and safer in bear country.

Daytime use is no problem. Four at dinette and two on front sofa is comfortable. Storing bedding is an issue. Tow vehicle, maybe...

Don't make any big mods and it will resell easily in a couple of year when you have outgrown it. Keep looking for that 16' bunk/side dinette model.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #20

Name: Lenna & Roy
Trailer: 71 Boler & 73 Boler & 74 Boler
British Columbia
I have to say that 6 in a 13' would not be pleasant. We have camped with our 5 year old in our boler with front bunks and just her "stuff" took up the second bunk space. When I was a child, with 3 siblings, our family camped in a tent trailer pulled by the family car, and it was quite spacious and comfortable. The cost is also a factor as fibreglass campers can cost a bit more than some of the other trailers out there. Good luck with your search and happy family camping!
Lenna K is offline   Reply With Quote