Family of 6 in 13'? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam11 View Post
We like the Scamp 16' due to weight/price/ability to mod easily. Without a bathroom we have come up with some ideas that would sleep 6 that would be some building of bed extensions/hallway cots etc. I know that every FG trailer will be tight just wondering if people had experience. The condensation problem I never really thought of, thanks something I will have to look into.
A 16 will certainly give you a bit more option, though most of the space gain is in living space and not places to sleep more, short of more floor space for a mattress there. While there certainly is a way to fit everyone in, I bet it would get tiring soon, but really, only you could decide this for yourself.

I sure hope you find a solution that works for you. Have you looked into any tent trailers as previously mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Bigger problem Is how fast kids grow.
Just what I was thinking. I remember well just how fast they grow and the space they take up. Not only them, but their belongings, clothes, toys, games, etc.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #22

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
A 13' Scamp (or other) is NOT 13' foot long. If you want to see what the "fit" would be, take some painters tape and mark off an area 7x10 on the kitchen floor. You need to figure out where the cabinets are, so run another piece of tape 18 inches inside of each "wall". Then, to account for the bed/table, put another strip of tape about 40 inches inside from the back wall. And to account for the front bunk/bathroom, put another piece of tape 24 inches inside the end of that.

Now, pull six chair into what's left and y'all take a seat.

Mon (measurements not exact, but close enough for rocket science)
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
We camped five in a small Shasta “back in the day”. I think this ruined camping for all of my family. Mother hated it so did my sisters.

Now 50 years later I am the only one that enjoys camping. I wouldn’t consider 6 in a Scamp. Advice above is good, I would tape off an even smaller area more like 6x10.

IMHO you would be better off with a large cabin tent.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #24

Name: RamblinRick
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Sleeping 6

I would go with a pop up. We had one for decades until the kids grew up and moved off. Then it was fiberglass all the way! We are thrilled with our Casita.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Your two older ones are old enough to sleep in a tent. We took our kids on their first backpacking, note not just camping backpacking, when they 7 and 4. They slept in their own tent and do so even now. That first backpacking trip was almost 40 years ago. We took them backpacking every other week-end every shoulder and summer season until they grew up and left home.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:32 PM   #26

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Before my thoughts, a little background .....

We've owned a Venture pop-up (8ft box) and then a Starcraft Starmaster 21 (10 ft box) pop-up and we've camped a bit in tents. We have also owned a big-bed (54") Scamp 13 standard Layout 1 and currently have a Scamp16 Deluxe with 54 inch bed and front sofa/bunks. .

For our pop-ups and tents, one night stands were a lot of work in setup & take-down each night. Setup and take-down after dark and in the rain were sometimes a bit problematic. I don't think that pop-ups are/were welcome in Wal-Mart parking lots or truck stops. I didn't think they were as safe at rest areas and/or in bear country. I also didn't feel as safe in semi-severe weather (tornadoes, straight line winds, hail, etc.) in either tents and/or pop-ups. My wife always wanted to have the ability to find a roadside park and get food out of the trailer to fix lunch but, that was impossible with either pop-up.

Although we did actually sleep 5 (myself, my wife, two 12yo twins, and a 10yo) in our Scamp 13 for a couple of nights, I think that the space for gear (i.e. clean clothes, dirty clothes, food, camping gear, etc.) might make long term camping for a family of 6 in a Scamp13 a bit problematic over longer periods of time? A Scamp 16 would at least offer a bit more storage space for food and gear.

As mentioned, our current trailer is a Scamp16 Layout A with the 54 inch main bed and front sofa/bunks substituted (at no charge) for the front dinette normally found in a Deluxe Layout A. We also carry a CLAM 6-sided screen-room/tent that pops up in under a minute (not counting time for staking it down or putting on privacy panels). The CLAM provides welcome outdoor space for meals and relaxation. Our Scamp16D has a large refrigerator,
a small closet, a small bathroom, and quite a bit of storage space.

If the family's young kids slept head to toe on both layers of the bunk beds, I suppose that a trailer similar to our trailer's configuration might work for a while? On the other hand, adding a possible bunk above the side dinette/bed in a Scamp 16 standard Layout 7 might provide a bed for everybody?

It is an interesting and difficult problem.

I second the idea of attending a rally and looking at lots of trailers and configurations. I also think it would be wonderful to be able to somehow try out a trailer before making a first purchase decision.

It is also true that all things seem to change over time. Kids grow; tow vehicles change; etc. It might be good to do the research, make the best decision possible, and take the plunge.

Resale values of FGRVs are quite high and so there is very little penalty for making a sub-optimal initial purchase and then deciding to make a change a few years later.

Best of luck to you, Nick!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
We did a family of seven in a Trillium 4500, (15'). Just like the 1300, (13') but with slightly more generous proportions.

Four kids in the trailer, and mom, dad, and the youngest kid in the travel van, which had a rear bench that folded down to a double bed. We laid down one of the captains chars and loaded it up with pillows to make a bed for the youngest.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...7-a-49103.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:21 PM   #28

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
I would look at pop up tent trailers, you can find good used ones for way less than a fiberglass. They have lots of sleeping space, and are easy to tow.

If you really want the hard shell, I would then look at the stick built cargo haulers, some of them can have the cargo space converted into multiple bunks (most of the ones I have seen had 4).

When I was 14 my family spent 2 months traveling in a 76 Vanagon. Two adults, 3 teenage boys and a dog. The youngest was put in a hammock that was strung length wise between the cabinets. So I have some experience doing the clown car thing.

Something to keep in mind with the bunks in the scamps, the top bunk should only carry ~100lb. It might not take long before some of the kids out grow being up there
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #29

Name: T
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Nick, Don't do it!!!
You'll be looking to sell and start over. I have a trillium 1300 and LOVE IT!!! and two boys 11/13. I built a bigger, more solid bunk in the front and it's perfect. but to accommodate 2 more people (no matter how little - and they'll grow!) would be a nightmare, and on a rainy day - hell. Not the answer you're looking for but an honest one. Go bigger, you'll need a rear bed, 4 person dinette and a front couch/bunk at a minimum.

Cheers,
Trevor
'74 Trillium 1300
T-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #30

Name: Renee
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
My husband and I are first-timers. Bought a 13' Scamp for us and our 3 large dogs and went on a 2,500 round-trip vacation. I do not mean to classify your children with our dogs, but when we were inside, no one could move. If we were in bed, we had to physically move them so we could get to the bathroom or the closet or the door. You should be able to find an older used larger Scamp. You may have to do a little work, but in the long run, the first rainy or cold weather, you will be glad. Your children have many years to go before they would be comfortable staying alone in a tent.
Renee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #31

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have a family of 8 , 2 adults , 5 children , one dog . NO WAY would we attempt to survive in a 13 or a 16 or a 17 or a 19 or a 21 ft fiberglass trailer.
We waited till our kids moved out and then bought a 17 ft FG trailer which in retrospect is too small for 2 adults and 1 large dog.
I’d look at a tent trailer , more space , less cost !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #32

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Nick -
As you've found, there are many opinions on this!

We've been a family of 5 using our Boler 13' for the past 8 years. My kids are 14, 10, 8. Here's been our experience... and for starters, we use our Boler as a tent on wheels. We're only in it to sleep and get dressed. Others who cook/eat/hang out will have a completely different experience.

- When our kids were younger, we put the older on the top bunk, the 2 littles on the bottom bunk feet together.
- Eventually I built a wood divider that angled across the bottom bunk so they'd stop kicking each other as they grew
- Next, the youngest went to the floor and the older 2 took the bunks
- This past season - the older 2 went to a tent and we're back to having space. Which, since we don't really do anything in it, only means fewer people turning over and shaking the Boler during the night.

I did look pretty seriously at doing a vintage-looking Ad-A-Room concept so the kids could sleep right outside in the room, and feel comfortable that we were close. But, they did fine tenting it with our pooch, and so that saved me from another project.

In all, I'd say go for it if you're using the camper as we are. BUT, as others mentioned and has been our experience - you'll need tents as the kids get bigger. Good luck!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:56 PM   #33

Name: Glen
Trailer: trillium
Alberta
My answer to extra people.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put a mattress in the suv and plop two kids in there.

I have a baby on a bunk at our feet, and the 8 year old sleeps on a bed that sits on the extended counter. any extra people go into the suv.

raining? to bad, play under the tarp. I'll be sipping coffee in the trailer :-)
Sparky0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:55 AM   #34

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
Nick: Agree with others that say a tent trailer might be the best choice given the current age of your kids. My brother in law heads a family of 5 that camped for many years happily with a 13' Scamp, A Eureka Timberline tent, and an EZ up. As the three kids got older they moved out to the tent and learned a lot about camping. Each kid was assigned set up and the down duties at the campsite.

Good luck with your camping adventures!
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #35

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Trilluim Outback
British Columbia
We had the best of times in "Mr. Mustard", our Triple E (14'). As a family of five we travelled from Vancouver to the Yukon and down to San Diego, and used the trailer as a "chalet" when we went skiing. Our boys were 7, 9, 11 when we bought it and our last trip was when they were 10, 12, 14. At that point they were just too big to fit! Mr. Mustard had bunks for the older boys and we put a sleeping shelf above the table/convertible bed for the youngest. I don't see how we could have accommodated one more child without supplemental sleeping space - tent or sleeping in the truck canopy (which we did as adults travelling to Newfoundland!).

We all have fond memories of Mr. Mustard; we now own "Mrs. Mustard" - a new Trillium Outback - for use in our retirement. She also doubles as an extra bedroom at our son's home where we have her parked in the back yard!

Most things are possible with imagination and a positive attitude.
Bruce Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote