Family stranded 17 days in RV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Have you all been following the story about the family that has been missing in OR? They were found after 17 days of being stranded in an RV, in the snow, in SW Oregon. I watched the video, it seemed to be legit. How frightening for all of them and thank goodness they were found. I am struck by the fact that it even happened. A reminder this world isn't so small after all.
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:00 AM   #2

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Quote:
Have you all been following the story about the family that has been missing in OR? They were found after 17 days of being stranded in an RV, in the snow, in SW Oregon. I watched the video, it seemed to be legit. How frightening for all of them and thank goodness they were found. I am struck by the fact that it even happened. A reminder this world isn't so small after all.
Yes, I have been following the story. Guess it reminds everyone to check the weather forecast befor setting out, and know the capability of your RV.

Glad they are OK

Diane
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Let's see how dumb you can get.

1. Try to go over the Oregon Coast Range on very narrow gravel roads with snow on the ground with a 35' motor home. Bad enough in the summer.

2. Start running into snow and keep on going.

3. Attempting to turn around on this now snow covered road with no room to turn that big thing around. (16' to 20' wide road you're gonna turn around a 35' motor home???) You can't see the ditches, so of course you go into the ditch.

4. Don't tell anybody that you're going to be so stupid to attempt to take that rout.

Yup, really smart.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Byron... My thoughts exactually!!!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Yep. An idiot in charge. And at least one idiot following orders. (I'll give the minors a pass.)
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
So these people saw a road so remote and minimal that it saw zero traffic for 17 days, and thought they were on the right route? The required brain is not an available option, but at least skip the fireplace or the third TV and equip the motorhome with GPS!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
So these people saw a road so remote and minimal that it saw zero traffic for 17 days, and thought they were on the right route? The required brain is not an available option, but at least skip the fireplace or the third TV and equip the motorhome with GPS!

I think they knew where they were. Probably been over that road in the summer in some other vehicle. But dumb enough to try it in the winter with a big motor home. The road hadn't seen any traffice in about 3 months. In covered with snow.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
I'm absolutely with Byron on this one. I'm glad they're well, but ............

My question when I saw the newscast: If they thought they knew where they were, why did they wait over two weeks on an unused snowcovered road before walking for help? And why at night for crying out loud? Sheesh!
Old 03-23-2006, 01:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Quote:
why did they wait over two weeks on an unused snowcovered road before walking for help? And why at night for crying out loud?
..........'cause that's when the ran out????
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I had to laugh this morning... my wife mentioned this incident to me as she was getting ready to go to work... she said "You know, I really thought about us... we just did that too... and there was no cell reception there either..." referring to our recent trip from Moscow ID to Missoula MT over the 5,240 foot summit of Lolo Pass on Highway 12 pulling the Scamp 5th wheel home from Spokane...

But I gently reminded her that we checked the weather forecast before we left, and there were people on both sides of the continent who knew our route and roughly when we would arrive in Missoula and check in.

I'm not very bright, but I DID stay in a Holiday Inn the following night in Sheridan.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
The cold, dead hand of Darwin was hovering above them to grab them as Darwin Award Candidates for 2006, when a Forest Service employee snached them out of the running.

For now.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:36 AM   #12

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
The cold, dead hand of Darwin was hovering above them to grab them as Darwin Award Candidates for 2006, when a Forest Service employee snached them out of the running.

For now.
Although they didn't remove themselves from the gene pool, they should qualify for an honorable mention.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #13

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
The cold, dead hand of Darwin was hovering above them to grab them as Darwin Award Candidates for 2006, when a Forest Service employee snatched them out of the running.
My thoughts exactly! All I could think of when I saw them on TV was to cringe and think... "Oh my gosh, now everyone is going to think that these people are representational of Roseburg, Oregon (our next largest town)." Made me want to hide.

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #14

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
My thoughts exactly! All I could think of when I saw them on TV was to cringe and think... "Oh my gosh, now everyone is going to think that these people are representational of Roseburg, Oregon (our next largest town)." Made me want to hide.

Nancy
They're NOT?

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:

Nancy

Shoot, I thought they represented RVers.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
On the news they said they took the senic route, off the main road, and would never do that again.

This should be a lesson for each and everyone of us to remember. Let your family know where you are going, the route you will be taking and in bad whether, be sure to have the items required to survive should something go wrong.

I learned this stuff from the people in North Dakota when we were stationed there for 1 year with the US Army. The locals travel with a snowmobeal in the bed of their pickumup truck in the winter.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:02 PM   #17

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Quote:
On the news they said they took the senic route, off the main road, and would never do that again.
Since we really like the back roads, I sure hope these people stay off of them.

We recently returned from a quick trip to Northern Mexico, and returned to San Diego via Denver, and even taking the Interstate (70), we made sure we were traveling between storms!

Diane
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I remember driving thru Wyoming and looking at the speed limit signs 2 of them, one 6 feet higher than the bottom one.
And the railroad gates that would go across the INTERSTATE saying road closed go back to town.

What do you suppose those mean? Huh?

Think it might be a little snowy there?
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #19

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
I am glad these people are ok. And I won't call them stupid, as I have my moments...none like this...but still, I wouldn't want to be caught at my worst. But WHY is this a national news story? Why is this reported as a survival story? Not too long ago they interviewed the people who had to hike out of the Andes (years ago) for ten days from a plane crash. That's a survival story. I can understand how this happened, but as an American survival tale, it's a huge embarassment.
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
It's an American Idiots story.

Whenever we go anywhere, we leave a detailed itenerary with relatives, and even with friends. I learned that from my early days of backpacking. Whenever I go hiking I let people know where I'm leaving my vehicle and where the trailhead is and the exact route I'll take and estimated times of departure and return. Same goes with our camping jaunts with our Casita. We tell our closest relatives (and generally my best pal) the campground we'll be using, the duration of the stay, and the routes we'll get taking to get there and to return. It's especially easy to do this in the modern age of email.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote