Favorite Places in VA to Camp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Smile Favorite Places in VA to Camp

Hi Folks, Just thought a new thread might be the ticket for suggestions for favorite places to camp in Virginia.
All the VA State Parks have electric sites.
The Blue Ridge Parkway Campgrounds and Shenendoah National Park Campgrounds Do Not have full Hook up, although they do have dump stations. I Love Shennandoah National Park anytime. These are National.

In the Spring I go to the Jefferson NF The camp ground I most like is North Creek, it is primitive. Then there is Cave Mt Lake as well, they have nice hot showers and bathrooms and water & dump stations no electric.
By the way, You can Boonedock most anywhere in the George Washington or Jefferson National Forest.

Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area has 3 great campgrounds, for all those bike riders out there The You Can't beat the ride from Whitetop Mt to Damascas! Premo! You just can't beat the Virginia Creeper Trail!

In Summer my most favorite place is an Army Corps of Engineer Place called Philpot Lake, they have full hook ups and three large camp grounds.

Douthat State Park & Smith Mt Lake State Park and Claytor Lake State
Parks, Hungry Mother State Park are all nice. First Landing has full hook up
for Eastern VA

Fall, personally I leave VA for West VA to the Monogahela National Forest.

Winter, back home to the Jefferson NF.

Wanting to try James River State Park, one of the few I have not been to.

Now folks let's hear about your Favorites!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Where do you camp in Monogahela NF and is there electric or water?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #3

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Thanks Diane!

I hope to order my new camper this week and as I'm new to camping, this will be a wonderful thread to follow and save!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
we camped Fairy Stone State Park in Patrick County, Va often, another nice place , we camped at Lake Robertson Recreation Area near Lexington, Va a number of times, I believe it was a city or county Park, it had a swimming pool and a small lake that was good fishing, great family campground. We are camp hosting at First Landing for the month of May. Pocahontas State Park is nice as well in Chesterfield, Va
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm looking forward to a trip to the Mount Rogers area at some point this year to photograph the feral ponies. Diane, do you have any suggestions for a campground that would situate me best for pony viewing?
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Where do you camp in Monogahela NF and is there electric or water?
In West VA, like VA All their State Parks have Power Sites. Sometimes I start out North and stay at Sceneca Shadows, they have Power then follow the changing leaves South. I like the Williams River Sites the best, They are on the River and no power or water. There are other camp grounds in the National forest as well, no Power. Watoga has power.
Everyone has different preferences, mine are more remote. It can get very cold in West VA Mts in the fall. I have always experienced rain, sometimes snow, some years a few warm days. Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #7

Virginia
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I'm looking forward to a trip to the Mount Rogers area at some point this year to photograph the feral ponies. Diane, do you have any suggestions for a campground that would situate me best for pony viewing?
I have never seen the ponies in or near the campgrounds. You will need to Pack your camera, lunch and enjoy a great day hiking. If you look at topos you will see grassy balds, or areas that you Might think are the most likely grassing for horses. Hurricane, or Grindstone might be good choices. I like Beartree for different reasons, it's smaller, way off the beaten path, and beleive it or not, HA! I still like to bike ride. There are NFS information headquarters, You might ask them for sightings. It's great hiking and you will enjoy the views, I promise. Enjoy!