Fellow Fiber Stream owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
I have been restoring and modifing a 1978 Stream. Would like to get some input on what to do with the area between the refrigerater and the entry door. It is approx. 8 " by 22" and goes from floor to roof, with a wheel well at the floor. What came out of it was what look half or a umbrella rack that served no purpose that I can see. Any ideas would be a great hepl and a picture or two of what you have done would help even more.

Thanks for all the ideas I have gotten from this site and hop to see you all in Oregon in July.

Ron
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

I have paperwork from Fiber Stream that called that area a "Magazine Rack."
Benita's Fiber Stream has a cabinet built higher with a shallow chest of drawers.

I put a hinged cover, with the hinge on the 8" side, on that well. I store grocery bags there in the shallow half, over the wheel well. The deep half is a space that is lined with a grocery bag for trash. The lid makes a seat where I can put on my socks and shoes.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Given all the small stuff which floats around our trailer (and our house, and our cars...) I would think a stack of open bins (deep enough to keep the stuff in) would be useful in such a readily accessible location, although Benita's drawers would keep stuff from falling out, and my wife wants a magazine rack in our Boler like the stock Fiber Stream.

I haven't seen the inside of a Fiber Stream (except one photo in the Fiberglass RV Album), so I don't know what the floorplan is; however, I am curious. I made some wild guesses, based on images of the street-side exterior and that one interior photo, and came up with this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Floorplan.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1271

(The dotted lines are the wheel wells)
Is this anything like what is really inside?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:43 PM   #4

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Is this anything like what is really inside?
Replace the "dinette/bed" in your drawing with another "gaucho/bunk" facing the 1st one. Placing a table in the aisle between the two gauchos makes the area a dinette.
In the corner where you have a "?" is the closet.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #5

Registry
Talking

See a LOT of Pictures at:"My Fiber Stream Story"
Old 02-13-2006, 11:49 PM   #6

Registry
Talking

Think of a Fiber Stream as a "Mirror Image" of a Casita Liberty
Old 02-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #7

Thanks, Frederick. I must have been distracted by Christmas when I saw your earlier topic, since the interior arrangement didn't stick in my mind. I may have been imagining an interior which is wider than the actual trailer - do you know offhand how wide it is?

I see what you mean about the Casita Liberty comparison: the mirroring is back-to-front. I assume that the Fiber Stream gauchos (bed-length) are much longer than the Liberty dinette benches (bed-width) so the Fiber Stream doesn't have the extra little Liberty seats... which leads to my other question: how long is it inside?

One last question: the table is not as long as the gauchos (doesn't need to be), and thus cannot be used (as it is most trailers) to bridge them into a bed. What forms the bridge?

I have enjoyed learning about the Fiber Stream design in this forum - it seems like they weren't afraid to do things a little differently in pursuit of better functionality.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #8

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
The Fiber Stream bed meaures from front to back 72" and from side to side 78" when bed is made out. The table that came with the unit is to small to make the brige for the bed but could be made bigger for a section needed. I have four sections of half inch plywood that sit on the floor when not in use. Not real handy and sometimes get in the way,
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
I have been restoring and modifing a 1978 Stream. Would like to get some input on what to do with the area between the refrigerater and the entry door. . . Any ideas would be a great hepl and a picture or two of what you have done would help even more.
Is this what you had in mind? The drawers were factory ordered. The catchall was provided by the previous owner. Usually there is a hat, a flashlight, a tiny First Aid kit and a pair of gloves hanging from the hooks.

More interior shots: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sisterscribe...hh3.vDBz30haheR
Attached Thumbnails
drawers.jpg   cubby.jpg  

Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
The Fiber Stream bed meaures from front to back 72" and from side to side 78" when bed is made out. The table that came with the unit is to small to make the brige for the bed but could be made bigger for a section needed. I have four sections of half inch plywood that sit on the floor when not in use. Not real handy and sometimes get in the way,
Some of the fatory original Fiber Stream came with either one long or two shorter floor supported dinettes. They boasted seating for 6-8. These tables served double duty as bed supports.

I've seen several Fiber Stream arrangements, modified and otherwise. My bed came with 7 tongue and groove boards that slot into each other to make the bed support. These were fabricated by the previous owner. These boards travel under the bed cushions. There are wooden slats attached to the wall under the window, also a seller mof, that I sometimes stick the bed boards in. Usually, I stick the table between the wall and the slats when it is not in use.

Mods I've liked include the slat roll that Akido, our Japanese member perfected. Webbing is used to join narrow slats of wood. The webbing flexibility allows you to roll the bed support into a cylinder that can be placed overhead, under the bed, in the closet or whereever. The slats look a bit like the planking on the shower floor that's shown in my album.

The mod I'm planning for mine is similar to what Randy L did to his. He had a rolling bachelor unit. The bed was a permanent single or double. He put a support under about 1/3 of the bed area and created a permanent crosswise bed. The remaining floor space was kept open for a sitting area that he dressed up with back support cushions. A TV tray served as the table when needed. The arrangement was similar to the Casita Liberty.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #11

Bed "bridge"
Thanks for the info, Benita and Ron. The rolled-up row of slats is just like Ikea beds commonly use, so it can certainly span the distance and provides somewhat ventilated mattress support. The Ikea page has dimensions for anyone who wants an idea of how wide and thick to make the slats. The one we have has the fabric strips stapled down the row of slats, but this is not apparently in the Ikea web page. There a dowels in the Ikea bed frame at each end to hook the end slat over so that the set stays in place.

After I posted my last note, it occurred to me that they could use the same idea as other "gaucho" designs: a pair of legs is attached to an extra under-seat panel, which pulls out like a drawer to stretch the surface. Sort of a self-storing panel with legs already attached, and could be used for only one side at a time if a single bed is desired.

Floorplan - Corrected
I had a side dinette in my guess. Maybe that's a modification idea for someone; they seem somewhat popular in current brands of trailer. I have replaced it, added the closet, and added the "rack" area which started this thread in this update (plus some other minor tweaks):

Name:	Floorplan_corrected.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1290

In case anyone hasn't figured this out yet, I am considering floor plan alternatives for modification or replacement of my Boler...
Old 02-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #12

Registry
Talking

Quote:
I have been restoring and modifing a 1978 Stream. Would like to get some input on what to do with the area between the refrigerater and the entry door. It is approx. 8 " by 22" and goes from floor to roof, with a wheel well at the floor. What came out of it was what look half or a umbrella rack that served no purpose that I can see. Any ideas would be a great hepl and [b]a picture or two of what you have done would help even more.

Thanks for all the ideas I have gotten from this site and hop to see you all in Oregon in July.

Ron
Here are some photo's of my cover for my "magazine rack."

Name:	freds036.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1294

The previous owner of my Fiber Stream had used several pieces to make a multiple shelf bookcase unit for paperback books that covered the entire wall. However, it was quite fragilely built, since he lived in the trailer full time and never moved it. I used one of his shelves to construct the hinged lid, and discarded the rest. The bookshelves crowded the space.
Attached Thumbnails
freds037.jpg  

Tags
fiber stream