Ferry Height Restrictions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #1

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
Ferry Height Restrictions

I had considered parking garage height restrictions when I was considering a Class B, but never considered ferry height restrictions when considering boarding a ferry with an egg camper on the West Coast. Can anyone give me a general height I need to be under? (wall mount A/C needed vs. top mount to even get in the game?) Thanks!
Bster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Best to Google whatever ferry to are considering and check restrictions. My recollection is that BC Ferry stopped charging for over height. They just go by length. Bottom deck is full of semi-trailers and buses and fifth wheels. If you look up BC Ferry reservations, you can fill in the blanks for destination, length of tow and trailer, passengers etc. and find out what it will cost you.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I do not think you will have a height issue, but cost is another thing. Taking an RV into Canada is quite popular but most people who choose to do it, stay for several weeks or longer and find a short trip for a few days is not cost effective. Both the Canadian, Washington State and Alaska Marine highways ferry systems have excellent web sites with schedules and cost. Knowing your overall length is helpful too. Also don't forger to find out if the price is US or Canadian funds. Have fun.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Also check on propane restrictions.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Don't think you need to check propane regs.
Just turn off the cylinders. Turn them off for tunnels too.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Took our Casita on Washington State Ferries many times. That happens when you live on an island. You will fit on any WSF boat. They accommodate semi's.

You will be charged for length and height which works out to be about 4 times the single vehicle rate. Prices vary depending on the route and time of yesr. Some routes recommend reservations.

And yes there are propane restrictions but you just need to turn the propane detector off at the tank.

Alaska and BC ferries also accommodate larger rigs, I have taken a 24' class to Vancouver Island and to Alaska.

Hope this gives you some comfort. Enjoy your trip.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #7

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
in the past.....

BC ferries used to have an "overheight" charge up until 2013....and that made it quite a chore to calculate actual ferry cost for a particular rig....

but that is all in the past...vehicle rates are for 20 feet, regardless for a 4 wheel vehicle...after that there is a "per additional foot" charge (total length of rig).....height is no longer an issue...on BC Ferries.....see their website
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:22 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
No restrictions for RVs for height or length on any Ferry we've taken in the Maritime provinces or Washington state. Propane must me turned off.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
No restrictions- just higher price for overheight and for length. I like my Campster as it doesn't get the overheight charge. Right now, fare for Campster and my Forester is $21.65 on the Port Townsend Keystone run. Go over 7'2" and it doubles. Go over 30 feet total and it goes to $57.50, and so on. After $115 at 80 feet they add $1.45 a foot. The other consideration is that on smaller ferries they can only take so many overheight vehicles. On runs that take reservations- make sure you have one or you might not get on.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
While they don't show it on their current schedule, there was an additional fee for the Hyannis to Nantucket ferry for vehicles over 6' 8". That is the clearance for the side sections of the boats.

Of course there is little reason to take a trailer to Nantucket - no campgrounds & no camping allowed. We got dinged for setting up a tent in the back yard while building my parent's house.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Also check on propane restrictions.
international Marine laws require all propane appliance to be turned off as well as the supply tank. Does not matter what ferry you take and where it is located.

As Glenn indicated here in BC our ferries stopped charging for over heights BUT that was not the case when I used a Washington State ferry last year and my 16' Scamp (without AC) was over height by a couple of inches.

Best to check the website of the ferry you are going to use for the actual height and length restrictions/fees as I do not believe there is one general rule of thumb you can go by.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #12

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
I had considered parking garage height restrictions when I was considering a Class B, but never considered ferry height restrictions when considering boarding a ferry with an egg camper on the West Coast. Can anyone give me a general height I need to be under? (wall mount A/C needed vs. top mount to even get in the game?) Thanks!
Black ball out of Washington pay per foot over 18 feet no extra added for height. They can haul anything commercial trucks to Tour buses. The Canadian ships BC Ferries are huge fees are different. There are smaller island hoping ferry's in WA that cannot handle BIG RV's and trucks.
Randy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. View Post
he Canadian ships BC Ferries are huge fees are different.
BC Ferries actually had a deal last year if you traveled mid week after 4PM sailings (I believe it was) you traveled for about half price. The result being for me traveling with a 16' trailer being of the same length as the vehicle I only paid a little more than what I would pay when traveling without the trailer..... which with the just the vehicle as stated is not cheap to start with about $80 one way between the Mainland and Vancouver Island.... normally with the trailer I would pay about $180 one way.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #14

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
My daughter moved to Nantucket last year. I was surprised to learn no campgrounds or camping. It will be the first time in years I will be traveling without our camper when I visit her...it is going to feel strange!

I did note that Martha's Vinyard did have camping but the cost for the ferry with travel trailer makes that crazy expensive!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #15

Name: Allen
Trailer: 2016 Casita Independence
North Carolina
I cannot resist answering your question! My last name is Ferry and I am 6'4" and have had lifelong height restrictions! )

I have used "ferries" a few times with autos and motorcycles. Most are open and without restrictions. Check the route you're planning and look at specific crossings! Best to you!
Old 05-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #16

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Also for some close-to-being overheight Washington travelers- they dropped overheight by 4" so what went last year may not go this year without the surcharge. A few years back they had a "special" with no surcharge for overheight RVs but it's off now. Not a huge deal if you don't use ferries a lot but living on an island I do. (Note, cars with bikes or kayaks on top also pay a surcharge for overheight though not a second one if you are also towing an overheight vehicle.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
This is our smallest Washington State ferry. As you can see, you will fit. It only holds 34 cars but there are larger ferries serving Vashon Island from other ports (this one sails from Tacoma).

2004 Georgetown 326DS
Attached Thumbnails
1463526878473.jpg  
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote