FGRV for family of 5? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Might also want to look for or contact manufactures about "bunkhouse" layout they may have. Might not be heavily promoted but they may have an arrangement not shown on the website or an idea for how they can meet your needs.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #22

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Might also want to look for or contact manufactures about "bunkhouse" layout they may have. Might not be heavily promoted but they may have an arrangement not shown on the website or an idea for how they can meet your needs.

True that. I know that one of the you tube videos of the scamp factory there was a comment that they were making one (that one pointing at it) with an extra bed. Most of these places are really not mass producing a mass production product. The are mass assembly line production custom units. So there is a lot of variation in what you can get if you order one.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #23

Trailer: scamp
Indiana
It depends on how desperate you are in how many people a trailer will sleep.

I have a 16 foot scamp basically layout 4. And I lived in it with my friend and her daughter for several days because our power was out and my generator would run the air conditioning. But it was a bit tight. I also spent 4 days in a situation where five grown men were sleeping in mine. But we were working an incident and the alternative was sleeping bags on picnic tables in an open shelter in freezing weather.

Don't forget that kids grow.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:29 AM   #24

Name: K
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Small Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTab View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. BPowell I’m glad to hear from a Casita owner who has kids. I was wondering if they could really accommodate a family, since a 17 ft trailer is really pretty tiny. Where did you get yours? We would prefer to buy used, but looking through fiberglass rv for sale and a few other websites, I only seem to see the deluxe Casitas, no Standards. Also, they mostly seem to be in the Midwest, and I’m in the Northeast. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions for locating a standard model in this region?

Jon, I’ve looked at the Scamp a bit too but as you mention, the main bed is small. My better half and I are on the taller side, so I am not sure we would be comfortable. The front bunks also seem to be very cramped, although I haven’t been able to find exact dimensions. Our kids are tall for their ages and I’m concerned about the older two growing out of the bunks in a couple seasons. Could any Scamp owners weigh in?
We had a Scamp and the bed was just too small. I am 5'9" and my wife 5'7" and we found it cramped. We now have a Bigfoot 21FB which we bought used. The bed is much bigger - nearly full sized queen. I am not sure if there are any Bigfoot options with more than the dinette and main bed, but it's worth a look in all the usual spots online to see if you can find a good used one that meets your needs. Good luck!!
KBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #25

Name: Phil
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Virginia
Armadillo is making a trailer with 3 bunks, but you will have to purchase new. These are $20K+ https://www.armadillotrailers.net/floor-plans

15-20 Year old Bigfoots pop up for sale with some regularity for $15k-$25k. Adding a bunk bed above the dinette isn't that difficult for anyone remotely handy. If my family goes Fiberglass, this is what we'll probably end up doing. https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...ilers-for-sale

Also keep in mind that while Molded Fiberglass is great and superior in many ways, it's not for everyone... especially not for large families who need space. A floorplan like the Coleman Light LX1705RB (3500 lbs) or the Geo Pro G19BH (3000 lbs) should be a comfortable tow for you and still provide adequate sleeping for 5 people, children OR adults. You've got the main bed for the parents, two bunks, and a dinette-to-bed-conversion.

https://www.dutchmen.com/product/coleman-light-lx

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...pro/G19BH/4396

Because these "traditional" trailers are all made by the same three companies, you'll find the same floorplans under a dozen different brandings with various trim levels, construction techniques, and standard options.
Abe_Bettik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:58 PM   #26

Name: KC
Trailer: shopping
Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThePorch View Post
We have a 1979 Triple E Surfside 14’ that we remodeled to have triple decker bunks in the front (previously a fold up bunk/love seat). Our kids are 4 (almost 5), 7 and 10 and it works perfectly for us, having put nearly 4,000 miles on it last summer alone. When we bought the trailer my wife wanted something we could pull behind the minivan (neither of us was excited to put the 3 kids in the back bench seat of the pickup for hours at a stretch). That said, we don’t spend much time in the trailer, except to read in our bunks if we have the odd rainy evening. As such, it has become our “tent on wheels” and we love it. I attached some pics, but not sure how to adjust the rotation... sorry.
I love this! You did such a great job with the remodel. We're thinking of something similar for our 3 kiddos (6, 4, and 18 months) and would use our minivan to tow.
nerak31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Just FYI -

A few years ago, we actually slept 5 for a couple of nights in our Scamp13 (with the 54" main bed).
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ad.php?t=68650

For regular and continuing use, I think that most daytime "camping" activities would likely need to be done outdoors (and/or maybe in a CLAM screen room or under an awning). The FGRV would be mostly for sleeping.
https://youtu.be/6qHSO18qK18

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:08 AM   #28

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
We have 3 kids & sleep 5 in a Scamp 16, front bunks, side dinette. Use a potti-shack + outside shower. Not luxurious, but works for us. Started with a Scamp 13 (too small), then a Casita 17 (too big/heavy), found the Scamp 16 (perfect!). Just got back from San Diego, 3500 miles; recently to New England, S. Carolina, Montana, Pacific NW, towing with a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota RAV4... No problem. You can do it!
Doc.Kev is offline   Reply With Quote