Fiamma Awning! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #21

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Hey Robin, I think the answer could be yes, he's got a Lemon.

Then as far a retractable, I still think it's just convenience in setting up and taking down, not the issue of to stake or not to stake. The feet on the awning legs has little holes presumably for stakes. I do use stakes on the rare occasion that I leave the awning out. But I never use any thing else, I rather put it away.

I paid lots for this awnng so I'm not inclined to leave it unattended or even out at night. It is so easy and just takes a minute to roll it in and out that that's what I do. I don't want to lay in bed and worry about my awning. People think I'm nutty but that's OK I'll be using and have this awning for years and years to come.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Very Smart camper Joy! I agree with you, it's just not worth it.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 1997 Casita 13 ft Patriot Deluxe
I own a 13ft Casita PD. I do not have the awning wand, but made one out of a shower corner shelf. I have not been able to budge the mechanism that releases the legs.
anyone have any suggestions? It is tightly wedged into the center part that houses the leg, won't budge either way.
thanks for any help
Diane
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Diane
Not sure if yours is same as my 2005 but the big plastic screw head on the legs may be tightened. If so, loosen them and try to slide the legs toward the outer end while pulling the leg out near the joint.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
trouble shooting mabe one of these links will help f45i specks may
Old 07-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #26

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Ok, Now I have a question? Could Bob's awning just be a dud? Seems like so many of you think the brand is good, could he just have a lemon? Honestly, I have seen just about every brand out there and I personally think they are only good for shade period. That's what they are designed for.

I have been watching all awning post, cause I want to get one put on our Casita. Like I said, I have seen a lot of brands and there always seems to be issues. I guess another question I have is, are you suppose to tie down a retractable awning? And I am not talking a automactic kind (HELLO), I am talking the kind most of you seem to have. I thought thats why they are built like they are so as to avoid staking, etc. Might as well have a bag awning if you got to have all kinds of poles and straps IMHO. Robin
Nah, I don't think it's a dud. It's just a crappy design. The first time it collapsed we were right there, so it wasn't unattended. The second time we were away, but it still should not have collapsed and broken the way it did. One leg snapped completely off!

I find it odd that a manufacturer will tell you that the awning is just for sun shade, and then sell an add-a-room meant to be up continuously, no matter the weather.

I'm still taking it off the trailer to effect repairs. There are a couple of places where rivets were installed. Instead of using rivets, I'm going to use screws in those spots. Both rivets tore out when rain hit. In addition, I'm going to use two of the arc-type central rafters instead of one. Those bow up to make rain shed more effectively. It didn't help us with only one, but maybe two would do the job, just in case some rain cloud sneaks up on us and actually rains on my awning.

In the meantime we're using one of those 10 X 10 collapsible awnings with a screen attachment. It has been rained on and didn't break like a piece of junk. I assume it didn't snap apart like junk because it was designed not to snap apart like poorly engineered crap.

BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I guess when one calls anything a piece of junk and crap when a majority of the owners of an identical product have had a successful ownership experience is difficult for most to respond with any empathy. I have no idea why you have had such a multi difficult experience but I have had my Fiamma awing extended in some torrential downpours and most of the water just cascades off the material because I had sufficient slope that water just will not accumulate in any meaningful way.

Something just not make sense if almost all the owners of Fiamma awnings have had no problems under similar conditions and are satisfied with the product. If the material used to manufacture these awnings were crap and junk, which you indicate rather forcefully, evidently because others have offered their experience and assistance but disagree with your conclusions, is regretful.

I really hope you find a solution or an awning that will meet your requirements but my experience with other brand awnings on six rvs I have owned leads me to believe not. In twenty plus years of rving I have seen numerous broken and damaged awnings. All were the result of owner error in use.
Martin D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
Wow!
Hey everybody take a breath.
Bob, sorry about the damage to your equipment. You stated your experience and your opinion and then several others did the same. You have made the point that you will never be happy with your awning – OK – let us know what you replace it with and how much you love it.

The rest of us – let's just go forward in our pleasure and satisfaction with our awnings.

See ya down the road … Don

ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote