Fiberglass 5th wheels - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #41

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Travehome with Annexe
Attached Thumbnails
image-1.jpg  
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #42

Name: Peter
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
Peter Bigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I'm on the hunt again for another fiberglass camper. I'm thinking I might look for a 5er but if another Oxygen or similarly unusual trailer comes along I could go that direction also. My question here is which companies make a fiberglass 5th wheel? I owned a Scamp 19 and almost owned a Bigfoot. I love the Escape and I recently saw the ad for the 1985 Custom Lite. Are there any others out there that I could be looking for?
I have a Bigfoot 5th wheel for sale $7500 and I am located in Ontario Canada 613-756-1850
Peter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:15 PM   #43

NSW
Plus a tow vehicle you will scratch your head about. It tows these very well.
Attached Thumbnails
1551322422_img_0420.jpg  
Old 05-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #44

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
Good combination you have there Mike. 01 D19' with a 2019 Colorado 4x4 double cab here.

We previously towed with Tacoma's (05 & 12). They were great but Toyota replaced the 4.0L with a 3.5 which felt underpowered to me. The Colorado's 3.6 has about 15% more HP and torque, both at lower RPM's, and gets 2-3 better MPG. If it proves to be as reliable as the Tacoma's, I'm back in Chevy's camp.

I agree the Escape 5.0 is a good looking quality camper but, for now, the old Scamp still checks all the boxes on our list. Now, if we could just get this virus mess behind us.

Al

I also have a Chevy Colorado. I have the baby diesel and love it. I towed a 25' stick built with tip outs from Spokane to Las Vegas, in January, and it did great power wise. But then I hit a crosswind outside of Ely while I was on black ice. The whole setup spun cartwheels down the highway until both wheels on the passenger side caught pavement and blew out stopping the death spiral. Very lucky that nothing was coming the opposite direction and the rig never left the highway, SCARY!
Old 05-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #45

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
And is it molded? It kind of looks like from the pictures shown.
Any idea of pricing?

Walt
Old 05-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #46

Name: Peter
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
Peter and you can get me at. pvreeker10@live.ca
Peter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #47

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRyan View Post
They do produce an all composite 5th Wheeler in Australia called Travehome, largest size is 29ft
https://www.travelhome.com.au/
Nice looking trailer, but the door is on the wrong side for the NA market. IF you're hooked up to services, you may end up stepping on the sewer hose when coming out of the trailer, or tangling yourself up in the water hose and electricals.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #48

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Nice looking trailer, but the door is on the wrong side for the NA market. IF you're hooked up to services, you may end up stepping on the sewer hose when coming out of the trailer, or tangling yourself up in the water hose and electricals.
Not intended to be sold in the US. Any US 5th Wheelers have to be modified for the Australian market
Old 05-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #49

NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
And is it molded? It kind of looks like from the pictures shown.
Any idea of pricing?

Walt
Totally molded all composite, but only intended for the Australian and in some cases New Zealand market
Old 05-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #50

SW Virginia
Sure, and v.v. no doubt. Still curious about the pricing though.

Walt
Old 05-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #51

NSW
Pricing would not be relevant to the US. Prices are relevant to what we pay here in the Australian market. Think of listing a US RV in Canadian Dollars for the US market
Old 05-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Still don't know what you mean by "composite". Is it moulded or made of sandwiched fibreglass panels?
Old 05-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #53

NSW
Composite means other resins other than Fibreglass. It is a combination of fibreglass and others that is why it is a composite. Yes it is moulded
Travelhomes are extremely durable
They weigh 6,600lb so pretty lightweight
Old 05-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #54

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I also have a Chevy Colorado. I have the baby diesel and love it. I towed a 25' stick built with tip outs from Spokane to Las Vegas, in January, and it did great power wise. But then I hit a crosswind outside of Ely while I was on black ice. The whole setup spun cartwheels down the highway until both wheels on the passenger side caught pavement and blew out stopping the death spiral. Very lucky that nothing was coming the opposite direction and the rig never left the highway, SCARY!
I'm sure that caught your undivided attention - good to know you came through OK. I sometimes regret not getting the diesel but really love the performance of the gasser and eight speed. 15K so far and I've not seen any of the transmission problems reported by others. My only complaints are the lack of interior storage (door pocket design is horrible) and not having an option for the bed mounted inverter that was standard in the Tacoma TRD packages.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #55

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
I'm sure that caught your undivided attention - good to know you came through OK. I sometimes regret not getting the diesel but really love the performance of the gasser and eight speed. 15K so far and I've not seen any of the transmission problems reported by others. My only complaints are the lack of interior storage (door pocket design is horrible) and not having an option for the bed mounted inverter that was standard in the Tacoma TRD packages.

Al
I have over 90k on my diesel already and haven't had any major problems. I bought my wife the 6cyl version and every time I drive it I end up leaving rubber on the road. We love our Colorado's.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #56

NSW
The Global Colorado with the 2.8 Litre Diesel VM Motori engine has stopped production in Thailand. GM has sold that plant to Great Wall a Chinese Automotive manufacturer. This does not affect the US Colorado which is built in the US.
We are using besides US HD Pickups ,a vast variety of tow vehicles the one illustrated is popular with people towing certain size 5th Wheelers.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 05-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #57

NSW
Last Global Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
2020-Holden-Colorado-first-4x4-drive-review-feature.jpg  
Old 05-11-2020, 02:31 PM   #58

Name: Donald
Trailer: Bigfoot 5th wheel
Colorado
Bigfoot 5th Wheel

I may be interested in selling my refurbished Bigfoot 5th wheel. You can see from this website how it looks https://dparrot.wixsite.com/bigfoot

Every appliance (including furnace) has been replaced. The front manual struts were replaced with electric struts. Rear stabilizers were added as well.

The suspension springs were replaced. It has new upscale rims and new tires.

It also has a new paint job with factory decals.

Altogether, we have over $10,000 invested in this unit. I would consider selling it for $7,000. That could include the 5th wheel hitch.

We live in Parker, CO, about 20 miles south of Denver.
donniebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #59

SW Virginia
That's really sweet. I'm surprised you were able to finish typing before getting an offer. Does it have a bathroom? My Ridgeline will not work with a 5th wheel or I might be on my way out there already.

Walt
Old 05-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #60

Name: Donald
Trailer: Bigfoot 5th wheel
Colorado
Bathroom and Ridgeline

Walt,

It has a full bath with a separate shower (NOT a wet bath).

Why couldn't you tow with a Ridgeline? I tow it with a 2014 Ridgeline. The hitch is welded to two, custom steel crossbars which span the bed and bolt directly to the frame. My Ridgeline has the "wings" and I have to be a little careful to not make a really sharp turn.

The Ridgeline tows 5000 lbs. The Bigfoot weighs about 3900 lbs, andI don't fill the water tank when traveling.

A Honda mechanic told me that it can tow even a little more if the weight sits across the rear axle, which is the case with my setup. Going up several steep Colorado inclines, it will slow down to 50 mph. I hardly need my brakes going downhill as I downshift into 2nd gear. On open stretches, I usually cruise at 65-70 mph.

I do watch my transmission fluid carefully and once a year, I have the radiator flushed and refilled along with a new thermostat. Just preventive measures.
donniebob is offline   Reply With Quote