Fiberglass in Extreme Cold - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I have been camping once a week in the winter but due to snow I haven't been out since late December when the temps were still in the teens.
Now in January the temps are down to zero and below I was wondering a few thoughts.
The road I travel has some rough spots on it. Should I be concerned about any damage I may be doing to my 13ft Boler.
Like: Cracking the fiberglass?
Damage to the suspension or frame?

I know in theory, that cold weather makes things brittle, but has anyone had any damage due to this kind of travel?
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Gerry, YOU (obviously) don't own/drive a Corvette or a Dodge Viper? They're fiberglass bodied vehicles (and there are others) and for the most part driven year round. Glass bodied (V-Dub) dune buggys take a beating off road and they survive too. I'd dare say unless you like a man man, you should be alright. Avoidance of potholes/land mines is ALWAYS a good thing too, BTW!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I would be more concerned about the road salt (assuming they use it where you are) on the frame, the axle and brakes (if you have them), and on any accessories that are on the outside of the trailer. Not that it would cause you any problems in transit, but because the salt will tend to get into nooks and crannies and cause future rust -- and of course the irony is that it's harder to get under there and wash things out in cold weather.

Of course not using your trailer in order to keep it perfect is probably silly; I just mentioned the frame since you were asking.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Gerry,

According to Dexter axles their products are tested to -40c being a standard in the industry. In Alaska from personal experience in Fairbanks and Kodiak fiberglass plastic holds up to -50F, past this point the plastic gets somewhat brittle and on impact goes to a granulated powder like dust (like sugar) leaving behind the matted fibers underlying it, I have no idea about modern plastics today only the old formulations from snow machine accidents regarding cowlings in the early 70s, they were prone to this type of damage...By -50F unless you are using synthetic, your wheels on both tug and tow would be locked solid needing to be put into a garage to thaw overnight to repack the grease in them with synthetic.

The vehicle would start to have issues aspirating fuel in the cold much past -65F on a stone cold start unless the engine were pre-heated...A propane block heater is what I used to use in the boonies. I have shattered frame welds at past -7O on shock mounts...Tires are frozen flat on the bottom by then, the shocks are a has been issue being now solid rock, moving to soon sets off an awful vibration that seals the deal on cold metal...As my Yucon cousins know warming the beast up 45 minuiets turns it into a vehical again, the foam in the seats might as well be ice slabs. Interior vehical heaters prevent splitting plastics in the seat when sat on, these heaters heat up interiors enough to keep them pliable. Batteries fail without heat in about the same range plus or minus 10 degrees depending on state of charge.

Good news! 0 degrees F is no where near that!

Driving wisely with basic saftey measures you will do you just fine!

After Alaska (64-77) my home in Arizona since 1977 is just what I want.

You are a hardier breed than me.

Happy camping, Safe journeys always.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
The vehicle would start to have issues aspirating fuel in the cold much past -65F on a stone cold start unless the engine were pre-heated...A propane block heater is what I used to use in the boonies. I have shattered frame welds at past -7O on shock mounts...Tires are frozen flat on the bottom by then, the shocks are a has been issue being now solid rock, moving to soon sets off an awful vibration that seals the deal on cold metal.
And at -459.67 all movement stops as entropy reaches zero.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:30 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Gerry, YOU (obviously) don't own/drive a Corvette or a Dodge Viper? They're fiberglass bodied vehicles (and there are others) and for the most part driven year round. Glass bodied (V-Dub) dune buggys take a beating off road and they survive too. I'd dare say unless you like a man man, you should be alright. Avoidance of potholes/land mines is ALWAYS a good thing too, BTW!!

I have owned/driven a Corvette but I usually put it away for the winter about November.
The one time I did take it out when we had a little bit of snow on our road the tourque of the engine and power to the tires were to great and before I traveled the 1/8 mile to the main road I had spun around 3 times.
Anyway I guese I never thought about the older snow-machines that had a fiberglass cowling so I guess I will be OK.
They do use salt on the roads and I will be sure to crawl under the camper with the pressure washer when the weather gets a bit warmer.
Avoiding POT-HOLES in Maine is like saying just stay off the Paved Roads.
Thanks to the respons. / LET'S GO CAMPING!
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Gerry... Go camping We're "Fibernating" this WINTER!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote