Fiberglass or Aframe? I need advice! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2021, 03:48 PM   #41

Name: Ryan
Trailer: In the market
Texas
KM: It sounds like lots of folks have positive things to say about Chalet. Aliners seem to not quite measure up to Chalet's reputation. Unfortunately, I do not see any Chalet's available or sold new near me in TX. Are they available in OR?

HS: You are correct. The port cochere has an archway. At its highest point it is 7' tall, but the fact that it is an arch makes things tricky. For example, the aliner expedition would BARELY fit (with 3" of leeway on either side; it measures 84" wide and 68" tall). Excavating doesn't seem like a great option as my driveway is concrete.

MT: Nice to hear your reflections. We explore in a similar manner to you! Tent camping actually works pretty darn well for us, truth be told, and we enjoy being together. We're looking to make it more comfortable and easier to do (being able to leave the gear in the TT), as well as extend the season. TX heat is too intense for tent camping June through September. It would have helped near Durango, CO a couple of summers ago too--there was a bear bashing SUV windows in to get food. We were the only people willing to tent camp in the area he'd been hanging in. They had a trap set in the site next to us. I'm guessing we'd sleep better in a fiberglass TT in similar circumstances in the future!
Casitaconruedas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:03 PM   #42

Name: Dave
Trailer: Escape 17B
Utah
Casita v. Escape Weights

For anyone considering the choice between Casita and Escape, Pam indicates that Escapes are heavier than Casitas. While current model Escapes are heavier than they use to be, our 2015 17B Escape had a dry weight of 2170 lb. and a tongue weight of 250 lb. The dry weight figures for the 17 ft. Casita SE Deluxe were 2480 lb. with a tongue weight of 365 lb. The lighter weight of the Escape was a significant consideration for us. Escapes have dramaticly more storage space than Casitas, so one has to use some discretion in how much one fills it if keeping weight down is a goal.

"Trailer Weights in the Real World" (on this forum) is a very useful tool in comparing real measured weights of various FG trailers.

Dave
2015 Escape 17B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #43

Name: Melissa
TN
Wow!

Definitely rest easier in a fiberglass after that almost event!!!! I liked the Escape as well. Pre Covid they used to deliver across the border but unsure now. Good luck!

We too enjoy being together and at night play some mean games of Farkle and Rummikube! If you you go in Colorado when traveling next summer, check out the Great Sand Dunes in San Luis Valley. Rent the sand boards and do that for a day...get it out if your system! It's a blast but exhausting for old parents! It's a wonderful spot and your family will enjoy this place. We are going to Yellowstone we hope in 2022.

Perhaps your family will cross our path in future travels by chance and we can swap places to visit and fun stories! Enjoy that son, too! My teen is almost 15 and it's harder to fit in family time but often it's for camping over friend deals on occasion so we all enjoy our camping.🏕️🥾
Melissa T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #44

Name: thomas
Trailer: casita
MA
aliner vs egg

most recently had 2 aliners, went to a casita (used 1998) 2 years ago, loved them all....
aliner is easier to tow and to back up at least for me towing with a tundra
casita is more finished and is set up with a
dining area, our aliners both had the toilet shower set up but that left no room for a real sitting area...seems most (me included) have a bed that is permently set up so that changes the available space compared to the orig floor plan...than again we used the toilets but so far never the showers...
townsendtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:53 PM   #45

Name: Melissa
TN
I have been reading where no one uses their showers, ironically! We opted for a simple toilet option for the times either dry camping/ boondocking. For National Park camping, trying to figure out shower options. Solar bags work so si in our many years experience and had to use them in a small time frame in higher elevations which but into our trail hines. Scamp has an outside shower but that jacks the cost up and loses some storage so undecided.
I think I'd like a hard shell pop up if I camped in comfortable three seasons only long stunts if time. Our style is we move around. Otherwise, unless like last year scenarios, we tend to use provided facilities if available. Having indoor to cook and play games in cold blowing rain sounds great to me! Thanks for the added insightful info to Dave's conversation.
Melissa T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:43 PM   #46

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
We were tenters and faced the same decision. We wanted a light trailer that we could easily tow and keep in our back yard. We considered popups, A frames and Fiberglass. We went to an RV show to see the popups and A frames. We did not feel comfortable in either. The A Frame felt closed in to us. We won the race for a local Trillium 1300 and we loved it. We sold it 3 years later for 2k more than we paid for it. We then bought a Trillium 4500 with a toilet. We are very happy with this. The main points we like about the fiberglass trailers are they are easy to care for, they retain thier value and when you are travelling you can pull over anyware and quickly make a lunch and coffee.
Lynn S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:01 AM   #47

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn S View Post
We were tenters and faced the same decision. We wanted a light trailer that we could easily tow and keep in our back yard. We considered popups, A frames and Fiberglass. We went to an RV show to see the popups and A frames. We did not feel comfortable in either. The A Frame felt closed in to us. We won the race for a local Trillium 1300 and we loved it. We sold it 3 years later for 2k more than we paid for it. We then bought a Trillium 4500 with a toilet. We are very happy with this. The main points we like about the fiberglass trailers are they are easy to care for, they retain thier value and when you are travelling you can pull over anyware and quickly make a lunch and coffee.
Very helpful post, thanks for chiming in.

I'm surprised to hear folks don't use the showers. I used our new $5 Coleman solar shower while tent camping this weekend and it was such a pleasant experience. After a couple of days of playing in the woods, feeling clean and smelling nice was such a treat. I think the bathroom will be an important part of the upgrade for us.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:14 AM   #48

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
We went from using a Boler 1300 to a Trillium 4500 (much more space for sleeping, getting dressed, etc), now a Boler 1700. For us the big draw with the Boler 1700 is the wet bathroom and much more floor space than the Trillium 4500. Definitely wanted the ability to shower when we are dry camping or boondocking, and its nice to have the toilet permanently set up in its own private space (the bathroom).
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:42 AM   #49

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Even with our Escape 19, we do not use the shower, we do use the toilet. I either use a shower at the campground or one at a truck stop. Even a National Park like Zion that has no showers, I just go to Springdale and pay for a shower. We tend to dry camp (Walmart of similar) on the way to destinations or on the way home. Even then, we will dry camp at a truckstop and use their showers or occasionally stop at a campground.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:40 AM   #50

Name: Kate & George
Trailer: Boler 1300
AB
Can you lift the porte cochere? Seems like that would be good for your house value, if itís doable. Also, in just a few years, your son may prefer sleeping in an add-a-room, a tent, or the tow vehicle. When he joins us on trips, our 6 ft 2 son enjoys sleeping in our Honda Pilot tow vehicle. Folding the back two seats creates a large flat sleeping area, and we just add a privacy curtain behind the front seats, and mosquito-screen sleeves on the windows for bug-free ventilation.

We have a Ď76 Boler 1300 in excellent condition, which Iíve enjoyed redecorating. Cosy and fun to camp in. It has a permanent bed in the back and a small dinette in the front. I definitely would not enjoy the frequent set-up/take-down an Aliner would require.
Kate W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #51

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sounds like the house is designated as "historic." Modifications require approval from some kind of municipal historical commission and may not be allowed when they affect the exterior appearance.

Like an HOA only worse, the price of owning a unique property that's not built in the typical suburban cookie cutter style.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #52

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate W View Post
Can you lift the porte cochere? Seems like that would be good for your house value, if itís doable. Also, in just a few years, your son may prefer sleeping in an add-a-room, a tent, or the tow vehicle. When he joins us on trips, our 6 ft 2 son enjoys sleeping in our Honda Pilot tow vehicle. Folding the back two seats creates a large flat sleeping area, and we just add a privacy curtain behind the front seats, and mosquito-screen sleeves on the windows for bug-free ventilation.

We have a Ď76 Boler 1300 in excellent condition, which Iíve enjoyed redecorating. Cosy and fun to camp in. It has a permanent bed in the back and a small dinette in the front. I definitely would not enjoy the frequent set-up/take-down an Aliner would require.
I wish I could. I mean, I could, but it would be prohibitively expensive to do so. The whole facade of the house has three archways that match, so removing or raising the port cochere's would look odd. Secondly, the carport, which is just behind it is also only 7' tall, so that would also need to be raised. I guess I could get an estimate to know real numbers, but I'd have to think it would be very, very expensive. Above the port cochere is an attic with an attic fan (old way of cooling a house in TX), so there is also the roof line to consider. From an architectural standpoint, I just don't think it's a feasible option.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:24 AM   #53

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Sounds like the house is designated as "historic." Modifications require approval from some kind of municipal historical commission and may not be allowed when they affect the exterior appearance.

Like an HOA only worse, the price of owning a unique property that's not built in the typical suburban cookie cutter style.
Yes, Jon, that's essential it. It isn't actually designated as a historic neighborhood, but I would definitely have to get city compliance to approve the project. It would be possible, I think, but not cheap. I think it may be worth getting an estimate though. My driveway runs alongside the entire house, so there is plenty of room for a TT if it weren't for the height restrictions.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #54

Name: Kate & George
Trailer: Boler 1300
AB
Sounds like you could pay for a lot of storage before it would amount to the major renos that your porte cochere would require. I was picturing ting something simpler, like a carport.
Kate W is offline   Reply With Quote