Fiberglass RV Demand during COVID - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Fiberglass RV Demand during COVID

It's crazy how quickly these things sell once listed. Also, it seems like folks are jacking up prices due to demand. I'm thinking I should wait until the pandemic is over to buy. Thoughts?
mariemandalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
If you are buying used, absolutely! Otherwise order a new one and you won't get a jacked up price. Just bear in mind that it may not be until 2022 until pricing settles down after a lot of people suddenly realize they would rather fly somewhere for vacation rather than camp. In the meantime keep looking and you may get lucky.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:25 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
And you never know, maybe the perfect used trailer shows up in your backyard at a reasonable price. If so, POUNCE!
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:47 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I know someone who is planning to sell a Burro in the Seattle area. But they are well aware that they can get a lot of money for it.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:29 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Just weigh the additional cost versus the benefit (use). If you want to camp now, then delaying to save a few thousand dollars might be a mistake. But if you really can't camp now, then wait.

Myself, as I have gotten older, I realize how short life is and delaying enjoyment to save money can be a mistake. I had a friend delay a long planned for trip to Scandinavia, and during the delay, he had a stroke. That was it for his plans.....
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm with "Thrifty Bill". We, as we entered retirement, never looked back on our purchase of a new 2011 13' SCAMP. We feel like we have gotten our "money's worth" and more. We had looked and looked for used SCAMPS but, here in California, they were few and far between. We do not miss the "joys" of modifying and repairing. Hey, if you buy new, use it, and then sell it you should get good resale value whether we are in Covid times or not.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #7

Name: Biker
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Just weigh the additional cost versus the benefit (use). If you want to camp now, then delaying to save a few thousand dollars might be a mistake. But if you really can't camp now, then wait.

Myself, as I have gotten older, I realize how short life is and delaying enjoyment to save money can be a mistake. I had a friend delay a long planned for trip to Scandinavia, and during the delay, he had a stroke. That was it for his plans.....

Very true. One of the key themes from a book I'm reading is that "You retire on your memories"
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #8

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
price gouging

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariemandalay View Post
It's crazy how quickly these things sell once listed. Also, it seems like folks are jacking up prices due to demand.

I have watched the prices go crazy on the west coast, but here in the upper mid-west they are only up a little. There are ads on CL Minneapolis, and the area, for fiberglass RVs on a regular basis that are priced better than the coast. Between covid-19 and the MANY Wildfires I think some people have found it as a chance to price gouge. Double the price that they sold for new is common, but 3 to 4 times is not. The unit in this order was on my boondocking lot last summer, I would GLADLY pay double for it if it was for sale.
Attached Thumbnails
1996 scamp0007.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #9

Name: Kim
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Thrifty Bill, I agree with you and I am sad for your friend
mariemandalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:53 AM   #10

Name: Karl
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Values go up!

There were few fiberglass campers for sale in Florida 2 months ago when I wanted to buy. I drove to near Pittsburgh from Ft Lauderdale to buy a 13 ft Burro for $10000. Since being back, the number of people asking if I want to sell it is amazing! I tell them - not yet! I’m making some small changes to it to fit my tastes. With Covid 19 rates going up again in so many states, I suspect the prices will continue upwards for much longer than I imagined. Seems like it was a safe investment, even though I had to pay far more than I expected.
ktrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:32 PM   #11

Name: corvetteguy
Virginia
Read a book called "Die Broke" 20 years ago and

pulled my lake front lot off the market and took all my savings and built a second house. Best move I ever made as my grown children, relatives and friends have many wonderful memories. The icing on the cake was that it tripled in value along the way and we will be making more memories with the grand children. I highly recommend the book.
garyhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Waiting on 16" Scamp
Colorado Springs
Long waits for new MFT's

We can't claim any great foresight but we ordered a 16 Scamp back in early June and it's being built right now for delivery hopefully by Jan 1st. Looking forward to a summer hopefully without (or a least less?) Covid. Best of luck looking for a used MFT; you might get lucky!
mm2670 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #13

Name: Biker
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhall View Post
pulled my lake front lot off the market and took all my savings and built a second house. Best move I ever made as my grown children, relatives and friends have many wonderful memories. The icing on the cake was that it tripled in value along the way and we will be making more memories with the grand children. I highly recommend the book.
I recently completed “Die with Zero,” and think it is very similar in concept to “Die Broke.”
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #14

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariemandalay View Post
It's crazy how quickly these things sell once listed. Also, it seems like folks are jacking up prices due to demand. I'm thinking I should wait until the pandemic is over to buy. Thoughts?
Your last sentence makes good sense to me, with slight reservations.

>You actually REALLY NEED A camper.

Otherwise consider holding off. Read an article recently concerning extremely crowded campgrounds. Some gurus in the camper industry said that something like 80% of new camper sales are to 1st time buyers. Newbies. And most of them are less than
40 yrs old.

There is a certain mind set of real campers. Especially those buying smaller ones. And the most serious spend the extra bucks to get a small FG brand as we are discussing here. And most of us have learned about quality of these units compared to conventional trailers. We had conventional and grew weary of the leaks, swaying on the road, and gradually self destructing. Our units have very few of those problems. Other than self inflected.

Prices will eventually drop down to reasonable or below. Why?

> Preparing for a trip , driving slower, dealing with other drivers aren't easy.
And if pre-trip inspections on the trailer are not done, and the trailer is not balanced, serious problems can occur on the road or the camp ground. Then everything in reverse.

> A favorite pass time for us is watching others back into a campsite. �� and we can draw a crowd backing into ours. ��

What now? Unless we stay in an expensive commercial park with crowed sites... We are a small slightly cramped trailer, no TV reception, and no where to shop. The campground is spacious as are the sites. And no shopping close by.

Our mind set is to walk the campground greeting everyone we see outside. That will generally lead to 1 or more conversations. We came to share a small living space for a while , enjoy the beauty of the surrounding , meet new folks, make friends. We can shop, and watch TV when we get back home.

But tons of folks won't enjoy That tye of camping and the hassles and expense. Possible paying to store it somewhere in the sun, or tying up space in their driveway. Maybe paying monthly notes on the camper. The solution is to SELL. Predictions are that some price lowering will occur, this winter. The real market FLOODING of used campers will begin a year from now.��

A friend bought a 2016 Casita toward the end of last year.. He sold it recently for $4000 profit the 1st day it was advertised. . he said that judging by the number of responses he got, he could have gotten more. but the first caller sent him a deposit and he honored that.

So unless you really need it, or have some excess cash, WAIT!
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote