fiberglass trailer height under 7' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
zdr

Name: DancingTiger
Trailer: Casita 2009 SD
Texas
fiberglass trailer height under 7'

HI,

I just wondering, my garage door only has 7 feet height. is there any fiberglass trailer height under that? Or is there any way I can do, like release some air in the tire to make this happen?

Thanks
zdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
84" is the standard garage door opening height.

Several on this site have discovered that if they temporarily install 8" tent trailer wheels that they can sneak 13' eggs into the garage. But measure everything before you try, you may have to remove any roof vent covers and a/c is a no-no. And that's with a door that clears the opening, a tilt-up door doesn't.

A better answer from days of yore is the pop-up FGRV, like this one:
Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket
These, the Campster and a few others were all designed to fit into standard size garages

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The Casita campers I have seen sit fairly tall in the saddle. People have purchased used rims that the put on without tires to fit into garages for storage during the off season or to work on them. Would be sort of a hassle if your thinking of storing in garage between trips during the camping season.

I'm looking into that myself, in my case it would be 4 bolt golf cart rims. Not many cars/trucks use that bolt pattern. Might try a boat trailer wheel.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #4

Tent trailers use a lot of different 4 on 4" rims. Harbor Freight sells a tire & 4 on 4" wheel combo for about $30 when on sale.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Most early fiberglass trailers were designed specifically to fit through a 7ft garage door. Some did it with a dropped floor (Boler, LoveBug, Eco, Scamp)
Some did it with a pop-up roof (Cadet,Compact,Hunter, TrailsWest)
Time passed, by the early ninties most of them either got taller or went out of business.
Considering this and the ridiculous size of modern pickups I think it is time to make all new garage doors 8ft!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Considering this and the ridiculous size of modern pickups I think it is time to make all new garage doors 8ft!
I was a little annoyed that our garage door was not taller by one more panel, it's not like we are all going to use the space above the door for anything so why not make the door larger for the little bit it would cost?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Some garage overhead doors don't quite clear the opening when open. Sometimes you can push them up a little farther and hold them there with vise grips on the track. Might gain an inch or two extra clearance.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

The usual reason is that the header (beam) for a garage door opening can be 12" or more wide, eating up the opening when you have standard 8' ceilings in the garage. The header on my double garage door is 14"+, the one on the single door is only 9"+. Because of that garage door openings become a standard size in most houses.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If the only additional cost to obtain an 8 ft. or 10 ft. garage door opening was adding a door panel of two, it would be a no brainer .Unfortunately the solution is neither that simple or inexpensive .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #10

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Alto R1723
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr View Post
HI,

I just wondering, my garage door only has 7 feet height. is there any fiberglass trailer height under that?
Check out the dub box @ Dub-Box USA. It is about 6' high before you pop the top.

Good luck finding a good fit! (Pun intended.)
Kudzu Asheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
As already stated, a Compact Jr will fit inside a standard height garage.

Trailer Fits Inside Standard Garage Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 03-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If the only additional cost to obtain an 8 ft. or 10 ft. garage door opening was adding a door panel of two, it would be a no brainer .Unfortunately the solution is neither that simple or inexpensive .
Some houses just can't make the change but here is an example where I simply raised the header and installed 8ft doors on a garage designed for 7s. I even modified the old openers to work with the new doors. Then I sold the house. Here is before and after...
Attached Thumbnails
1978 Scamp w-screen room 002.jpg   IMG_9373.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote