Fiberglass vs aluminum trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you think of your RV as an investment you will want to buy only molded fiberglass. For the most part, anyone that has owned one for more than 5 years can usually get everything back and then some when selling. Stick-Builts, especially used stick-builts, are much more prone to hidden damage that can cause substantial depreciation.

I used to live in Springfield, VA and I know that the weather out there can destroy or do hidden damage to a stick-bult in a single season. Think rain + freezing weather + more rain, etc. If ice can split rocks, just think of what it can do inside a Serro Scotty's walls.

BTW: As to price, Oliver's are a special case. There are lots of decent f/g rigs in the under $5000 range. Right now there is a neat little Hunter Compact Jr, in Richmond, VA, listed on eBay. Start small and enjoy learning.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #22

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 1981 16 foot
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Everyone has to do their homework and make their own decisions. I have a small leak, occasionally, at two windows. They never rot, because I have fiberglass walls, not wood. I just wipe the leak up. I have no 'surprise' leaks because the UHaul is double hulled, and I can find any leak that happens. Disadvantage? No insulation except the air between the hull. Is that an issue for me? No because I don't camp in the winter and a small heater is more than enough to keep it temperate. Cost? Low for both an older stickie or fiberglass. How much restoration work? the amount of restoration on a stick build is more than I want to deal with. I don't see where the fg trailers need as much work because there are a lot less 'parts', screws, trims, caulk lines, rotted plywood paneling, etc. So for myself, fiberglass wins hands down. Now I didn't compare to an Airstream quality, because you won't find a used Airstream 16footer Bambi for $3K like you can a used Scamp or a stick built Scotty. Airstreams are in a class well above a fg, so I'd expect them to be a top quality trailer. But they still have more upkeep than I want. My UHaul is wash and wear - and I Love that about it! Again, this is my opinion, and I'm biased to FG. but others are tickled pink with their vintage Scotties and feel that all the restoration work was worth it. So much variety means that everyone can find a camper thats 'just right'.
Nice job Pam, I feel the same way...go fiberglass.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote