Originally Posted by OR335d
Hope your project is coming along well. I agree doing a frame-off project is best, but there are some fasteners under the toilet and shower that make this difficult. If you have the bathroom out, go for it! I'll be beefing up our frame this spring by adding 1" tube steel to the bottom of the frame and re-installing the suspension at the new lower height. I need about 1" more ground clearance, and adding 1" of thickness more than doubles the strength of the frame. Our frames tend to bow down a little in the back, so I'll try support at the front and back before I start welding.
For composting toilets, check out some videos by "Driving and Vibin'" Kyle and Olivia lived full time in a Fiber Stream for two years and switched to a composting toilet. They've recently spent a year rebuilding a Airstream Argosy and chose differently for the composting toilet in their newer rig. They've just hit the road again.
As you rebuild, make sure the walls at the fridge
and between the kitchen and the front are well adhered to the wall. These play a critical role in transferring the load from the roof to the floor. Without these, the walls want to bow out a little, which is what allows the trailer to sag. This also leads to the sag in the floor at the back inner corner of the fridge.
Randy & Ranae
Just a couple of questions and notes. I noticed that you have not flipped your axles. I did this and it gave me the height to allow me to put on some nice 13" aluminum rims and some really nice wider radial RV tires
from Costco. The skinny !2" tires
blew out on me during a road trip and I decided they just weren't safe. I did it myself and it was not too difficult.
I can give you details if you want.
OK. so here is something I've been considering for a while. I want to add some shocks while I have the frame off. I am actually thinking about dual shocks at each mounting point on each axle(total of 8 shock absorbers!). I am also considering adding that one inch tube as well.
As far as Interior walls go, I am looking to mount all of them with glued on metal angle tabs. My goal is to not have any exterior screws penetrating the fiberglass shell. Sounds a little extreme, I know, but all those holes are what led to the problems I have now.
I will try and post photos of my progress soon.