fifth wheels for small trucks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi to all.
First time here. I would love to buy a Scamp 19' fifth wheel trailer but don't want to buy a big truck. I'd like a Toyota Tacoma or an S-10. Does any body know of a 5th wheel for small trucks?
Thanks
Jim
duffysjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:51 PM   #2

welcome to the forum..either would work with a scamp a dakota will work as well check out the section fot trailers for sale there are several listed good luck
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Hi to all.
First time here. I would love to buy a Scamp 19' fifth wheel trailer but don't want to buy a big truck. I'd like a Toyota Tacoma or an S-10. Does any body know of a 5th wheel for small trucks?
Thanks
Jim
Dan, Thanks.
I know that it would work but I have not been able to find the hitch for the truck. Any body got an idea?
Jim
Old 02-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #4

I may have answered my own question. I called Scamp and talked to a fella named Jim. He told me thatIcan't use the Tacoma or Ridgeline (I guess because of the composit bed) but as Dan said, it'll work in a Dakota. Jim said that he'd even put the hitch in for me. Pretty good customer service, eh?
Jim
Old 02-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Jim, if you're settled on the Scamp and it's just the hitch that you are looking for, you should be aware that the Scamp 19' does not use a pin-and-plate style "fifth wheel" as is normally used on larger RV trailers. It uses a ball (on the truck) and socket (on the trailer), which is a common setup for "gooseneck" agricultural (e.g. horse carriers) and equipment trailers.

While some ball mounts for pickup beds use the same mounting frame as a fifth-wheel, there are other designs which are designed just to mount the ball - sometimes in a way which is retractable or at least quickly removable.

Another detail to consider is that the Scamp 19' uses a 2" ball, not the commonly used 2-5/16" size (or the even higher-capacity 3" ball). That presumably eliminates most choices, even if they could fit into the desired truck.

In recent discussions, at least one member has mentioned their source of a suitable hitch. Scamp themselves sell a hitch, found under "WELDING SHOP (PREFABRICATED ITEMS)" in the parts list available from their Parts and Service web page.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
... He told me thatIcan't use the Tacoma or Ridgeline (I guess because of the composit bed) but as Dan said, it'll work in a Dakota...
You might want to read the recent discussions of what works with what, including...
[b]bigfoot 5th wheel, weight?
[b]5er towing question, Can I do it?
[b]What do you tow your 5th wheel with?
[b]Will Nissan Frontier Short Bed tow 5th wheel Scamp??

Check out the S-10 4-door in that last topic: it's hard to believe that would work but not a Tacoma...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I believe and I may be mistaken.. but if you do use the Tacoma SR5 you do have to reinforce the bed of the truck.. which would run about $400 more. Anyways that what I was informed by one of the sales people at Scamp last yr when I was looking for a truck.. I have a 06 Tacoma x-cab 2.7L 4 cylinder I am going to be pulling a 16ft. towing capasity if 3500lbs.. which the 16 will be fine... I dont plan on driving the rockys or the alps so I should be fine.....

If I was getting a 5er I would certainly go with a V6...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Jim, I pull my 19' 5er with a Nissan Frontier crew cab.
The hitch was in a mazda truck and the guy gave it to me. I installed it myself, but had to get some welded plates because it was a little to short. I simply drilled holes right over the back axle, in the bed. Then I got some pieces of stainless steel from a welding shop that matched up underneath and put big stainless washers on the side. I've pulled it about 5 or 6 times (all on very flat land) and no problems what so ever. I hardly know it's there. I've checked the bolts recently and no problem at all.
Chad R. is offline   Reply With Quote