Finally got one! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Hi there - I joined this forum just a little while ago in the hopes of finding a little fiberglass trailer to take to dog shows, and I found one! I'm now the proud owner of a 1978 Trillium 1300. It's in great shape - lots of cobwebs, and hasn't been used since 1989, if the expired tags are any indication, but the fiberglass is in great shape, and the tires are new, as are the running lights and tail lights.

I managed to get a deal on it - 2600$ on Portland Craig's List. I had to tow it home on my bumper, because the ball on my stinger wasn't small enough and wouldn't come off the stinger to be replaced with the ball on the bumper, but it towed fine for the 30 mile trip. The cushions are like new (or, as like new as 28 year old cushions can be). The carpet came right out and will be replaced with laminate flooring this weekend, and I'm looking forward to camping in it over Memorial Day Weekend. It even came with the original awning that was on it when it was purchased, and it came with all the original manuals and paperwork.

It does have some cheesy Santa Fe style decals on the walls and shelves on the inside, which I'm hoping either a hair dryer or (insert chemical here?) will remove easily without damaging the fiberglass. I'll probably repack the bearings this weekend - if it hasn't been licensed since 1989 I'm a little nervous towing it all over the place with bearing grease that may or may not be that old. The striping and decals are all present and in great shape. I'm going to have to figure out how to remove the old tongue jack (recommendations? it isn't bolted on, looks welded) and replace it, since although it will support the trailer it isn't adjustable, so the trailer has to be lifted on and off the hitch.

Anyway, the weather is great - perfect for a project!

Daisy
Oregon City, OR
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1991 Bigfoot
Daisy,

Congradulations on your purchase and welcome to the club.

Sounds like you will fit right in with the mods that you are doing already (floor and decals).

Good luck getting everything ready by in a little over a week.

- Joe
Joe Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Welcome, Daisy and congratulations on your new-to-you Egg! Sounds like you really hit the jackpot with this trailer and we wish you many, many safe journeys & happy memories. Hope to see ya down the road! L 'n D

p.s. - What dog breed(s) do you show? I raised & showed Rotts for 10 years way back when - this is a wonderful breed and the current public opinions break my heart. As usual, the fault is with the human, NOT the dog (sigh) . It was a delightful time in my life - had a blast & met some terrific folks along the way. LdB
Old 05-17-2006, 09:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Welcome, Daisy and congratulations on your new-to-you Egg! Sounds like you really hit the jackpot with this trailer and we wish you many, many safe journeys & happy memories. Hope to see ya down the road! L 'n D

p.s. - What dog breed(s) do you show? I raised & showed Rotts for 10 years way back when - this is a wonderful breed and the current public opinions break my heart. As usual, the fault is with the human, NOT the dog (sigh) . It was a delightful time in my life - had a blast & met some terrific folks along the way. LdB
I have three border collies, two of which I show in dog agility. My older dog Fly and I were on Animal Planet a few months ago; we got 2nd place at the AKC National Agility Championships. My younger dog Jesse and I just got back from Minnesota a week or so ago, where we attended the World Team Tryouts for the AKC Dog Agility World Team. I go to about 25-30 shows a year, so the trailer will get a lot of use! I have been camping in a 1976 Apache Hard Side pop up trailer (which has it's own cult following, BTW), but since I work, setting it up in the dark Friday night was getting kind of old. Now I won't have to crank anything up in the dark! I've enjoyed meeting people with the Apache as a conversation starter....so now I'll enjoy meeting people with the Trillium as a conversation starter!

Daisy
Old 05-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Congratulations! You're gonna have a blast!

Sounds like you got a really, really great deal!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
Oh the EASE of having a little unit so easy to pull, and nothing to set up is why I wanted a little "egg"! Just pull in, and there ya go- all done! We used to do a nice pop-up, that was very nice when we had the kids, but now we are going easy all the way!

One of the first things you better do with an older trailer is to have someone turn a hose on it and you find any leaks!!!

Ours is a '78 Scamp and it had been garage kept for a long time by the two previous owners---- there was some water staining but the second owner thought he fixed the leaks. We found out NOT... the first day it sat out in the rain.

So it was caulk the heck out of all the windows and vent holes. But that outta do it! Gonna test her out Friday again with the water. And I hope it's good to go since we would love to just take off for the weekend for the first time in it.

Can't wait for your before and after pictures!!!!!!!!!!! I love to see what others have done- it's inspiring!
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:33 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Welcome Daisy! You will enjoy not having to set up in the dark. Been there done that. Nice to just pull in and crawl in bed or whatever. Have fun. Hugs to the doggies too..

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #8

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Welcome, Daisy! You sound much more knowledgeable than I about bearings and towing stuff! You'll do just fine from the sounds of it. The one item I encourage everyone to buy is a small bottle jack, though. It is indispensable at times!

Pictures would be great! Have you named your little house yet?
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Welcome, Daisy! You sound much more knowledgeable than I about bearings and towing stuff! You'll do just fine from the sounds of it. The one item I encourage everyone to buy is a small bottle jack, though. It is indispensable at times!

Pictures would be great! Have you named your little house yet?
I *think* I already have a "bottle jack" - if by that you mean a little jack that is sort of shaped like a bottle, but holds a LOT of weight :-) Bearings aren't as hard as they sound...as long as you don't lose them when you clean them! I cleaned out a gearbox once that had needle bearings in it...did it over a gravel driveway with pine needles everywhere. Needless to say, when I put in acetone to clean the bearings and they fell out everywhere and blended INSTANTLY with the pine needles, I was not happy! I had to use a magnet to find them all

I haven't named the house yet - my dog show travelling partner and I are going to work on it together this weekend and she has been charged with helping me figure out a name :-)

I'm a little worried, though - one of the things I have to do is replace the tongue jack. I bought a new one, but I think I am going to have to return it and find another one, because the new jack is too long. I'm not even sure I've seen a jack small enough in any of the RV stores I've been to (yet!). I didn't expect that the little trailer would be such a low rider! :-)
Old 05-19-2006, 08:44 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Cheesy stickers: we have cheesy corny nerdy horse head stickers on our '78 17' Boler, which were placed owner-before-who-we-bought-from or maybe even owner-before-them.

One horse head sticker could come off, the other should not -- as it is nicely strongly covering a flaw.

In our third year of owning said Boler, I have come to like the stickers. I imagine the horse-loving people who likely took two trailers, one for family and one for horses, here and there. Or maybe they used to haul horses, then hauled the Boler. Anyway, I have come to like them, whoever they were.

We live in an older home, and painting the "spare room" (baby room) I decided to change it from dull blue-grey to a warm yellow. Washing down the walls, I discovered that one previous owner (maybe the mom?) had also thought yellow walls would be ideal for that north-facing room. Ha! I am not renovating, I am restoring. Go back to the butter.

(See previous posts such as "Embrace the plaid" re upholstery.)

CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 Trillium Outback
Welcome aboard Daisy.

Sounds like a very good deal.
Robert B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #12

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
Daisy-

Welcome to the world of fiberglass. Trillium is a nice trailer. My husbands boss owns one. I think it is the same year as yours.

Cheesy stickers: I don't know for sure if this would work on fiberglass but I use it on glassware all the time to remove the sticky resdue left behind after I peel off the sticker. Lighter fluid. Put some on a papertowel or rag. Let it sit for a minute and wipe it clean. Works like a charm on glass. You might want to try it on a small patch first to make sure it will not damage the fiberglass. Just a thought.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
Daisy, I believe I've seen you and your dog Fly on Animal Planet! good for you getting the egg... my big dog, Henry and I did some agility when he was a bit younger - going to the shows could be hard work! and I always thought it would be nice to have a trailer to retreat too when we got too hot, too tired or just too overwhelmed with all the barking...

I'm wondering how people are managing to fit themselves and their BIG dogs in an egg? My big boy is 90 pounds and the puppy...? I don't know how big she will be - seems to be a labby/shar pei-ish/shepardy-perhaps kinda mutt... currently 4 months old and 27 pounds. With one dog, I could stay in the Motel 6, but now... I'm thinking summer travels will require an egg... but I suspect they will get the bed and I will get the floor!
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:25 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Daisy, check out Harbor Freight (couple of stores here in the Portland area) for a bolt on Tongue Jack. Maybe get the one that swings up parallel to the frame when traveling?
Harbor Freight Fold Away Tongue Jack. Can't beat the price..$15.99

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote