Finding Public Campgrounds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Finding Public Campgrounds

When we travel we like to stay at public campgrounds. We want a safe, quiet place to camp, preferably with showers and a good place to walk the dog. Swimming pools, miniature golf courses, cable TV, and game rooms are amenities we would prefer not to pay for, so we look for public campgrounds. While State and Federal campgrounds are fairly easy to find, local city and county campgrounds are seldom shown on the map. I've come across three sources I would like to share.

- the first is a web application called Campfone. It provides information on Federal, State, Provincial, County, and City/Town campgrounds. Because this is a very map oriented site, those that have data caps on their Internet service should visit McDonalds if you want to try it. I used about 20% of our monthly allotment in one day.

Campfone.info - ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS ON YOUR PHONE: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more

- The second is Camp Where. This is an Apple only application that costs $5 to download. It is very similar to Campfone as far as features are concerned but can be used on a limited basis off line.

Big Nerd Ranch

- The third is a paperback book called RVers Best Public Campgrounds by Lee Zaborowski. I have only read the Amazon "look inside". It claims to provides the same basic information that the others do but only State parks are shown in the sample and because of limited space has no where near the number of locations. It also is only U.S. campgrounds. Still, it will work not only without internet but also without power (at least during the daytime).

RVers BEST PUBLIC CAMPGROUNDS: Finding Inexpensive, Convenient and Relaxing Campgrounds for your RVing Trip: Lee Zaborowski, Jeanne Zaborowski: 9781453612132: Amazon.com: Books

Both the first two claim over 11000 entries, although they both missed campgrounds I knew about. Both were at times unstable but I think that is due to our Internet connection (Verizon mifi) and not the programs. Both are easy to use with the Campfone providing a little more information initially. All this information is already available on line but a lot more work to find. These make it much easier. Enjoy, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Raz!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While I use & like CampWhere, AllStays Camp & RV is also worth considering. It lists many public campgrounds, and includes filters so only your choices will show on the map. It also has lots of additional POIs that may prove useful...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks, going to play with the campfone site later. Anyone use Allstays? $10 is pretty steep for an app, but if it works I'll use it.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
There is also a free android app called "RV Parky"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mFuZHJvaWQyIl0.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

Name: M
Trailer: Influx
Usa
Thanks for sharing Raz, Jon, Tom! We stayed at a KOA last weekend because it was such a last minute trip and being a holiday weekend, very limited availability on our state parks search. It wasn't bad, people were quiet nice, but also prefer the simpler, public parks. It'll be great to have other resources for regional/city/county sites.
Mimi Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #7

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Corp of Engineers offer fine camping as well. Amazon has a directory and there is also a Kindle version

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/093787...sr=8-1&pi=SL75
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #8

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
what a great question!

I also have torn out my hair trying to figure out these campsite reservation websites. Now I usually do reserveamerica.com if they don't do it I don"t usually camp these. Recently came across the Ultimatecampgrounds.com website, they do not seem to offer much detail and their map is hard to search. Do not know much about apps..so here goes. We have a mac air that we use for email and surfing and such. Is there a benefit to having an app? We do not have a data plan so usually rely on Tim Horton's or McDonald's for internet service. We leave at the end of the month on a 9000 mile journey to bring our Bigfoot 21' home.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Good public service thread, Raz. Thanks for posting.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #10

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Raz, thanks for those sources of information.

For those of you traveling in the Pacific Northwest I can recommend two books: Pacific Northwest Camping, which covers Oregon and Washingtonand West Coast RV Camping, which covers California, Oregon and Washington. They're both by Tom Stienstra and I think pretty widely available. When we have a WiFi connection I search campgroundreviews.com. It covers both the US and Canada. The main focus is on private enterprise RV parks, but there are also reviews there of public campgrounds with links to their websites for more information. And don't forget, every state has its share of visitors centers and they can often be a source of lots of good camping information too.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Google has broken CampFone?

Thread dredge, I know.
I've been using Campfone.info for a few years now to find public campgrounds and it has worked well.

Not anymore. Apparently they are using googlemaps on their webpage because the map doesn't load properly. It says "This page can't load GoogleMaps correctly. Google now requires a valid Google Maps API Key in all HTML maps...."

Any newer sites that are free, map based ways to find all types of public RV campgrounds?
Old 11-30-2018, 09:08 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40Jim View Post
Thread dredge, I know.
I've been using Campfone.info for a few years now to find public campgrounds and it has worked well.

Not anymore. Apparently they are using googlemaps on their webpage because the map doesn't load properly. It says "This page can't load GoogleMaps correctly. Google now requires a valid Google Maps API Key in all HTML maps...."

Any newer sites that are free, map based ways to find all types of public RV campgrounds?
I feel The Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project is currently the most up to date and complete listing of non commercial campgrounds. They have a single Android app that covers both the US & Canada, while the iOS (Apple) version required separate apps for each country. They also have a free app covering US military campgrounds. While the military version is free, there is a small charge for the non military versions.

I use both the Ultimate list & Allstays.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #13

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I feel The Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project is currently the most up to date and complete listing of non commercial campgrounds. s.
Ditto. A very comprehensive source. 34,455 sites per today’s count.
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #14

Name: Chas
Trailer: Escape 21 - previously 16' Scamp
Washington
Quote:
I feel The Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project is currently the most up to date and complete listing of non commercial campgrounds. They have a single Android app that covers both the US & Canada......
Thanks for the recommendation Jon. Just installed it. Seems to be a very well designed app.
CVZ
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
this site is pretty decent, too.
RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #16

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Public CGs

WE found a neat County Park CG for a stay next May: Ft Desoto Park CG in the far western reaches of entrance to Tamp Bay. Folks I know have camped there several times and loved it & it is untouched by recent storms.

Three others we have camped at are 1. TH Stone St Park on Cape San Blas/Port St Joe FL.. 2. St Andrews SP near PCB FL AND finally
3. St Georges SP on St Geo Island, near Apalachacola FL All 3 may have had some damage in last huricane ..so chk'em out first

We preferred St Andrews slightly more bks it is nearer 'civilization'.

We 'boondocked' 2 weeks+ at beautiful Button Bay SP in VT last Aug..no water or electric hookups, but a fine park w decent bathouses and several water points scattered aroind. Right on the Eastern Shore of beautiful Lake Champlain..lots of Rev War history therabouts too.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:46 AM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
I feel The Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project is currently the most up to date and complete listing of non commercial campgrounds. They have a single Android app that covers both the US & Canada, while the iOS (Apple) version required separate apps for each country. They also have a free app covering US military campgrounds. While the military version is free, there is a small charge for the non military versions.
Another vote for Ultimate Campgrounds. We’ve been using it for almost 2 years and it’s my main app for finding campgrounds. The data on the military version is also included on the paid version. I’ve emailed the owners/administrators with questions and they emailed me right back. Well worth the small charge. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:24 PM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Good news, though Campfone is still broken (thanks Google), but the data is mirrored on a new site:
ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS LOCATOR: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more

I like the way that it is very map based. Hard to use on a tiny phone screen with slow cell data. But it is fast and easy for planning trips at home.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:47 PM   #19

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by giro53 View Post
I also have torn out my hair trying to figure out these campsite reservation websites. Now I usually do reserveamerica.com if they don't do it I don"t usually camp these. Recently came across the Ultimatecampgrounds.com website, they do not seem to offer much detail and their map is hard to search. Do not know much about apps..so here goes. We have a mac air that we use for email and surfing and such. Is there a benefit to having an app? We do not have a data plan so usually rely on Tim Horton's or McDonald's for internet service. We leave at the end of the month on a 9000 mile journey to bring our Bigfoot 21' home.
Wow, 9000 miles to get your Bigfoot, now that’s love !!
I hope you are having safe travels )
Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:58 AM   #20

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Wow, I must have posted that in 2015. Sorry, it was 9000 km not miles and we have loved our rig and still do. Thanks for bringing back the memory.