First camp with our 99Casita SD. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #1

Name: Randy
Trailer: casita
Florida
First camp with our 99Casita SD.

This might get long here not sure. Took our 1st trip , just one night to Hanna Park, Mayport Fl. The camper pulled so easy and backed in to the site with ease. Small campers are great in this capasity. After hooking things up we started organizing things. First the jack stands, which I had to dig the dirt out before they would pull down. Low campers probably need shorter stands so a bottle jack is probably going to be added. The roof fan worked and didnt this weekend, hopefully only a fuse Ill check today but it was hot so the AC stayed on anyway. There is no canopy crank, so I used a hooked bottle jack handle. May have to order one as well as the center pole we didnt get, but canopy for shade was ok without it. The sewer spout on the camper was lower than the elbow on the sites sewer dump so I didnt connect it till we got ready to leave, and then I had to lift it up for the hose to clear, then run water thru it to clean it out, no biggie but might have been if we were to leave it connected for a longer stay. The toilet leaked, clean, water up on the raised platform its mounted to, which was ok since its a wet shower but will address the reason soon. The hwh lit but never got the water hot so didnt get to try the shower out. With a level, on the camper outside side to side being right, a level in the shower still showed it leaning towards the back which is where the water pooled up. Im thinking side to side leveling might be checked in the shower so comode platform is level. Still need button tabs over rivets but put some latex white chaulk on them till then. I need stick-on weatherstripping for the door jamb [easy], and would like a peephole in the door since that glass is obscured. Also a shelf in the wardrobe closet, maybe a few rivots in the front and a couple 2x4's under at the back would suffice. Not interested in hanging things up. Non locking hatch latches for hose and sewer covers as well. Cooking and dishwashing outside , weather permitting is easier too. Randy/ Will post our pics when wife gets up.
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #2

Florida
Whoops I forgot, the cabinet knobs are too small to grab well for the strength of the catch, so bigger knobs are in order as long as their not sticking out to where well hang up on em walking by. I want to have the windows tinted, and a platform fabricated to the bumper, so I can fit a cooler for drinks on it, against the spare, and a 2 bike rack welded to that up high so taillights are still visible. Even thought of an LED light strip put on the old TV antenna [our faux spoiler] hooked up to the brake lights. Im glad Im not a microwave guy because that space really came in handy, but a little toaster oven I can sit on the dropshelf might be in order next trip.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Casita bumpers are not reliable for carrying a load as they are pretty thin material with resulting weak welds. Most opt for a installing a 2nd receiver at the rear to carry bike racks/platforms.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Randy, sounds like a great trip to me! Any camping trip is better than staying home and pushing a vacuum cleaner or lawn mower.

Good idea to stay close by. It's always something unexpected that comes up, just add some of that to your "lessons learned" memory bank.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #5

Florida
Hi again Donna, yea anytime you buy something used, there will be bugs to work out and personal changes Ill make one at a time. We do love to camp, usually summer since the wife is off, working for the school board. As for the bumper, I can see that its liteweight metal and will consider that in the new fabrication of the musthave, bike and icechest rack. Poor little camper looks lost under my 18x25 ft building, but lots of extra room for other stuff right? Randy/